Carnival loses luggage and doesn't care!

It's actually an unfortunate story for a first time cruiser. Please understand that your situation was incredibly rare.

Let me try to lift everyone's spirit with a 'good' story.

About 5 years ago, we met fellow pax on a small ship cruise and learned that their luggage had been misdirected by the airline. There was some hope that it would arrive at SXM (our cruise departed from Phillipsburg) the next morning. Our first port of call was Anguilla, perhaps no more than 10-20 miles by sea back to St. Maarten. That morning, the airline contacted the ship by radio confirming that the bags had arrived. And our Captain sent one of his Junior Officers by zodiac across the sea to retrieve the bags and return them to the ship.

Now of course that's not possible on a mass market cruise line. And I'm sympathetic with the OP that the Conquest crew could have potentially been more empathetic. But making lemonade out of lemons is sometimes all that is possible. Oh, and the items that the pax 'borrowed' to survive the first day? Of course the crew carefully washed them and returned them to the loaning pax immediately. If I recall correctly, the Captain told the story at dinner and we all applauded.

Edited by jsglow

I'm amused at the number of people who think that the OP is completely out of line in asking for more than 20% off. First, think about if this was you. Many of us (myself included) have been on cruises where either an airline lost bags or bags were dropped at the curb with porters but didn't show up that first night. We've seen and heard how gracious other lines have been (have seen this myself on Disney, RCCL, and X) when passengers end up in this situation. Others have even chimed in that Carnival without fight opened shops and provided t-shirts, shorts, toiletries etc.

Why then should the OP have to fight tooth and nail to get even that? If it were you, you'd have been madder than a hornet if by day two you're still having to beg for clothing out of the shop knowing that Carnival has in the past been more accommodating in this situation. And to the person who says that wearing the same bra for a week never killed any woman? That may be true, she didn't die, but I'm pretty sure she was VERY uncomfortable. Wearing the same underwear for 5-7 days is not pleasant, even if it was being hand washed. I'd like to think none of us would be comfortable wearing the same undergarments that long.

While cross packing and trip insurance may have helped, we still have the issue of the poor customer service the OP received. Sure if they'd cross packed the Mrs would have had half her wardrobe. If they had trip insurance, she could conceivably go into port and buy clothes. Conceivably. But I challenge many of you to find bras and panties at most ports. And heaven forbid the Mrs is very small in stature or very large in stature because she's going to be out of luck if she can find something. Not to mention, did anyone miss how Easter occurred during this cruise? Gonna guess that affected the ability of the OP and his/her wife to find clothing in port. No, the holiday is not Carnival's fault. But their overall lack of empathy and customer service very much so is there fault.

Yes, the bag eventually showed up. Considering all tags were still in place, it makes you wonder where the heck the bag was. Considering it showed up and was just left outside my money is that another guest found the bag and left it there. But none of us knows that to be true. It's just as conceivable that crew found it and didn't want to be on what they figured would be someone's wrath if they presented it and so they left it.

But all along, OP is having to go to bat and beg and plead for what he/she needs for the wife. And that, I think, is what the whole point is. Certainly none of us was there but it sure doesn't seem to read that Carnival was that concerned about the situation. I mean, to tell a guest essentially that luggage gets lost sometimes and tough luck is not acceptable. I don't see why there wasn't shirts, shorts, etc from the Fun Shops offered to the wife sooner and on a daily basis. And why make them wait until a certain time? Someone somewhere has the keys to the shop and the power to let guests in before then for something like this. After all, it's breaking no rules for having the shop open as it's not a sale.

Personally, I'd be pretty upset were I in the OP's shoes. And I would want some acknowledgement for the lack of service given.

I have read it here where some smart guys kept a bag the entire week, thinking it was pretty funny. It happens.

I was missing a bag on a past cruise. It seems it was delivered to the wrong stateroom and the steward for that cabin put it in the state room with other bags there. Occupants of that room realized it was not one of their bags and just put it back outside....no call to the room steward or guest services. I did get the bag the next day when my steward and steward for the other cabin figured it out. How inconsiderate of the occupant of that cabin when a simple 2 minute phone call could have saved me a lot of grief. I spent most of my first evening onboard at the guest services desk filling out lost luggage forms, etc.. People are strange!:confused::rolleyes:

I was missing a bag on a past cruise. It seems it was delivered to the wrong stateroom and the steward for that cabin put it in the state room with other bags there. Occupants of that room realized it was not one of their bags and just put it back outside....no call to the room steward or guest services. I did get the bag the next day when my steward and steward for the other cabin figured it out. How inconsiderate of the occupant of that cabin when a simple 2 minute phone call could have saved me a lot of grief. I spent most of my first evening onboard at the guest services desk filling out lost luggage forms, etc.. People are strange!:confused::rolleyes:

Seems like an easy 'golden rule' situation to me.

I'm amused at the number of people who think that the OP is completely out of line in asking for more than 20% off. First, think about if this was you. Many of us (myself included) have been on cruises where either an airline lost bags or bags were dropped at the curb with porters but didn't show up that first night. We've seen and heard how gracious other lines have been (have seen this myself on Disney, RCCL, and X) when passengers end up in this situation. Others have even chimed in that Carnival without fight opened shops and provided t-shirts, shorts, toiletries etc.

Why then should the OP have to fight tooth and nail to get even that? If it were you, you'd have been madder than a hornet if by day two you're still having to beg for clothing out of the shop knowing that Carnival has in the past been more accommodating in this situation. And to the person who says that wearing the same bra for a week never killed any woman? That may be true, she didn't die, but I'm pretty sure she was VERY uncomfortable. Wearing the same underwear for 5-7 days is not pleasant, even if it was being hand washed. I'd like to think none of us would be comfortable wearing the same undergarments that long.

While cross packing and trip insurance may have helped, we still have the issue of the poor customer service the OP received. Sure if they'd cross packed the Mrs would have had half her wardrobe. If they had trip insurance, she could conceivably go into port and buy clothes. Conceivably. But I challenge many of you to find bras and panties at most ports. And heaven forbid the Mrs is very small in stature or very large in stature because she's going to be out of luck if she can find something. Not to mention, did anyone miss how Easter occurred during this cruise? Gonna guess that affected the ability of the OP and his/her wife to find clothing in port. No, the holiday is not Carnival's fault. But their overall lack of empathy and customer service very much so is there fault.

Yes, the bag eventually showed up. Considering all tags were still in place, it makes you wonder where the heck the bag was. Considering it showed up and was just left outside my money is that another guest found the bag and left it there. But none of us knows that to be true. It's just as conceivable that crew found it and didn't want to be on what they figured would be someone's wrath if they presented it and so they left it.

But all along, OP is having to go to bat and beg and plead for what he/she needs for the wife. And that, I think, is what the whole point is. Certainly none of us was there but it sure doesn't seem to read that Carnival was that concerned about the situation. I mean, to tell a guest essentially that luggage gets lost sometimes and tough luck is not acceptable. I don't see why there wasn't shirts, shorts, etc from the Fun Shops offered to the wife sooner and on a daily basis. And why make them wait until a certain time? Someone somewhere has the keys to the shop and the power to let guests in before then for something like this. After all, it's breaking no rules for having the shop open as it's not a sale.

Personally, I'd be pretty upset were I in the OP's shoes. And I would want some acknowledgement for the lack of service given.

I can't speak for other posters, but in my case I never stated that the OP shouldn't ask for compensation above and beyond what Carnival is obligated (by their policy) to do. I do, unfortunately, doubt they will get anything "extra" though, especially since the bag was eventually found and returned. I hope they do get further compensation. It was a bad situation for the OP's wife and I feel for her. It isn't likely though, especially since it is possible, even likely, that the fault was with an uncompassionate fellow passenger. Let this be a lesson for all of us to always cross pack and to purchase travel insurance.

Thank you for the kindly worded, well thought out, rational post. It's refreshing. And I agree.

But let's not talk about this poor woman who went an entire cruise without her luggage. Can we please get back to complaining about how seeing a T-shirt in the MDR completely ruined someone's meal? ;p P.S. That's my attempt at putting things into perspective for some of the people who say certain things have ruined their cruise experience.

After reading this thread, out of curiosity, I went to the Carnival site and looked up "lost luggage policy". Here it is:

"Carnival’s maximum liability for lost or damaged bags is $50.00 USD per bag ($100.00 USD maximum per stateroom). All receipts must be submitted to Guest Care within 30 days after debarkation."

Whether this is deemed "fair" or not by anyone reading it, it IS what we all agree to before cruising. Another good reason to purchase travel insurance.

Contracts don’t get into the way of our experts here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a solution to this lost bag problem. Someone needs to invent a device with a timer which you can set for, say 8 hours. After the timer elapses, there is a loud beep every 15 seconds or so. Like the smoke detector in the house.

There is no way that bag is going to stay "lost" very long with that annoying beep!

There are god trackers you can put in your bags. Not a bad idea.

There are god trackers you can put in your bags. Not a bad idea.

We all know that the contracts are written to overly favor the cruise line.

When people complain (especially on social media) very often the cruise line will pay up to make the person shut up and go away.

Luckily for us we have never run into a problem like this but if we ever do know how to deal with it.

I am so very sorry this happened to you. And on your first cruise. I have always been so leery of seeing all the luggage outside the cabin doors. How easy it would be to take someone's and no one would know.

Let’s remember we only have one side of the story here. May be exactly as stated or maybe demands were made. No reason for anything to be done before the second day. Luggage sometimes shows up very late-but shows up so no problem. Did the OP not have a single t shirt she could have worn to bed? I don’t now anyone who needs a fresh bra every day and they are washable. You can hand wash it every day if you want, dry overnight, and wear with no problem. I never pack more than two.

Could they have offered more in the way of on board shopping? Sure, but again, how was the request made?

Even if you have never cruised before, who doesn’t cross pack and/or have a few things in a carry on when you travel?

I also find the comment about a stranger giving her a swim suit—but nothing else—a little suspect.

I feel for the OP’s wife but chalk it up to adventure and lesson learned.

I am so very sorry this happened to you. And on your first cruise. I have always been so leery of seeing all the luggage outside the cabin doors. How easy it would be to take someone's and no one would know.

With cameras in the halls and crew roaming around delivering more

The only expert there I know of there is John. He is one.

Oh, no, there's many more. Especially one insufferable woman who runs a FB group about Carnival cruisers opinions. She'll tell you that JH is wrong more often than not.

Oh, no, there's many more. Especially one insufferable woman who runs a FB group about Carnival cruisers opinions. She'll tell you that JH is wrong more often than not.

I guess I need to get around FB more.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But in all seriousness, so sorry to hear that happened. I do hope you give cruising another shot, we've been sailing for 11 years and always enjoy it. I don't know that I've heard of something like this on any of my sailings, so while rare, I can only imagine the aggravation.

At the end of the day I realize this is a massive company and in the grand scheme of things we are a small gnat to which they care nothing about. I would have like to seen a more genuine effort on their part to make the trip more successful. We had to fight for everything. Nothing was given. I had to go thru 4 people to get the ship store open. I had to insist on getting laundry tickets. I had to demand they send a note out to the cabins. I had to go up the chain to get money on our account so my wife could go purchase items. They offered nothing throughout the trip. 20% off was a joke. I mean hell 30 minutes after leaving the boat we get a generic text from Carnival telling us if we book another cruise within the next seven days we will get 20% off. This could have been handle so much better. Offer my wife spa treatments on the boat. Offer her an excursion. I guess now I would really like to see something on their part that says hey this could have been done better, here is what we are offering to entice you to come back.

Orangeskull I agree with you completely on this one. You shouldn't of had to ASK or FIGHT for any of these things! I am very saddened that you had to fight for these minimal things.

I'm very sorry you and your wife had to go through this. I would be very upset, and 20% is not enough.

Carnival is the one who last had the bag in their possession, wherever it was delivered/lost, etc. it was delivered to the wrong room, then it is their fault (and the guests in the room are oblivious idiots).

We don’t know it was lost though. Maybe it was left in the proper spot but the next door neighbor brought it in their cabin. Is that carnival’s fault?

So, when the airline lost my luggage, they never said “maybe the passenger sitting by you in 2B took it by accident and so you need to hold them accountable, not us.” Nope. They simply accepted blame and acted accordingly. Immediately. Why is a cruise line different? No excuses. Because what is most likely? They lose luggage and they act accordingly.

And what is with the OP MUST be WRONG and the cruise line right? I had a wonderful, stress free carnival cruise but that doesn’t mean the OP did as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very sorry you and your wife had to go through this. I would be very upset, and 20% is not enough.

Carnival is the one who last had the bag in their possession, wherever it was delivered/lost, etc. it was delivered to the wrong room, then it is their fault (and the guests in the room are oblivious idiots).

This. Exactly!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Again, the issue seems to be "20% is not enough". What do you think is enough? They did not lose anything, they were given some compensation already. Tell me what other companies would have done in the same situation. If the bag was lost, which it wasn't, then it would have been a case for insurance. As I asked before...what would an airline have given if one bag was misplaced and returned a week later? I suspect nothing. I may be wrong, if I am, please enlighten me and everyone else, for future reference.