Why I don't like the Petite Chef

cruiseerf

Bistro in 5 was a favorite of ours...esp lunch and brunch. Had great soups and salads and daily menu specials. Was a nice spot away from the crowds.

This menu, other than the rack of lamb would not especially draw us in...Crepes look nice but pricey for crepes..Bistro on 5 had great selection of crepes.

Perhaps the menu will evolve as time passes.

Thanks for posting the Grand Bistro menu - I actually think it looks great. Lots to my liking. I remember Bistro on 5 - think I ate there on the Reflection - it was fine and was usually quiet - I don't necessarily miss it though. I like Sushi on 5 actually.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I watched the video instead of paying for the experience. Just not my thing.

I DO miss the Bistro on 5 - the first time it was amazing and a year later it was meh. Was gone right after that. I don't eat sushi so, loss for me.

Ok, I'm dumb, explain to me (I could only watch a little of the video before I went crazy) -so you watch the guy make the soup and chopping off octopus tails, etc. - then what? The dish goes dark and they bring you the real soup? To everyone in the restaurant at exactly the same time? Then you watch the next thing (what if someone at your table is slow finishing?) - and it happens again, video, then all of that course is brought out at the same time for everyone?

Ok, I'm dumb, explain to me (I could only watch a little of the video before I went crazy) -so you watch the guy make the soup and chopping off octopus tails, etc. - then what? The dish goes dark and they bring you the real soup? To everyone in the restaurant at exactly the same time? Then you watch the next thing (what if someone at your table is slow finishing?) - and it happens again, video, then all of that course is brought out at the same time for everyone?

Honestly, after experiencing the evening did just ‘flow’....The speed with which plates were cleared, glasses filled, the next course delivered really did add to the professionalism of the delivery. LPC may not be fine dining but it was fun dining with nice tasting food and we would visit again!

........I hope this is still going on Reflection this fall. If it can be included in the specialty dinner package I will try it - however, at $55pp I will not. That is more than half the price of a ticket to Disney World!

Celebrity told me that specialty dining packages are not being offered on our November Reflection sailing because they are testing Petite Chef. I hope I was told wrong. We are interested in specialty dining but not at the cost of $50 +/- Booked Murano 1st night only because of the 1st night discount.

Thanks for posting the video and to others for their comments on the experience. My simple reaction: boring! I seldom go to movies, seldom watch tv, haven’t played a video game in probably 30 years. (Unless the online NYTimes crossword is considered a video game.) In short, I don’t connect with video trying to entertain me. I liked Quine though it doesn’t work for two, really needs a larger group. This LPC concept? No way. Not if it were for free.(And to compound the issues, I don’t eat lobster. Every Friday night every fall semester all through college... I am done with lobster.)

I watched the video....doubt very much we would spend $55 each for this experience....and even if we did try it once why would we ever go back since it never changes.....

Not a big Qsine fan but with a large group it can be fun....don't think this would offer the same kind of evening....

That concept or gimmick will get real old, real fast. We're on the Millennium this week and had pre-purchased the 4-night specialty restaurant plan with the plan to go to Tuscan Grille twice, Qsine once, and Sushi on 5 once. Right now, neither Qsine or Le Petit Chef is even listed as an option. If LPC is included, we'd give it a shot for one night and stick to the plan. However, I can't see us ever going for this gimmick another time, so if ever book another cruise on an M class ship, we'll avoid the meal plan.

I thought Qsine was okay, but not great. The struggle there was the attempt at international cuisine, and the result was that none of it really seemed authentic. Any half decent middle eastern restaurant would be better than that type of food they served. The same goes for the Chinese food. It was all okay with plenty of choices, but nothing was truly outstanding. The Qsine concept was good. An authentic Spanish tapas place would have been a nice replacement concept and they could have sold some sangria with that. Instead of a needed tweak, they just killed it in favor of a gimmick.

How many people out of the population of thousands repeat a restaurant enough for it to "get old" so fast? Not everyone sails multiple times a year, so I can see this concept being around for a few years, at least.

One possibility is that Le Petit Chef is only taking over Qsine is temporarily. My guess is that Celebrity is savvy enough to know that this is not a repeat-type restaurant, especially at that price. Possibly, as the Revolution occurs and each ship is Edgified, they will follow the Edge model and have a Le Grand Bistro (or another restaurant) with Le Petit Chef being offered 1-2 times per cruise. The footprint might fit best where Sushi on 5 is now, but with the remodel, it could put it in other spaces.

Le Grand Bistro serves breakfast, lunch and dinner ($10, $20, $25 on the Edge, with the 1-2 nights it is Le Petit Chef $55) and has a some takeout items (for a fee, I assume). Here is a description:

Inspired by classic French bistros, the mouthwatering sights, scents, and sounds of a bustling boulangerie-patisserie are sure to excite and entice. With an ambience that changes from morning to evening, and seating options from the planter-edged sidewalk to the inner café offering stunning views of the sea, every time you eat here, it’s a whole new experience.

Le Grand Bistro is a French patisserie / bistro-type restaurant for breakfast and lunch, with available grab-and-go options. Menu selections include macaroons, premium cheeses, fresh-baked bread.

At breakfast and lunch, a counter offers a la carte light- and fast-food (pastries, sandwiches, breads, quick bites). Dinner starters include French onion soup, arugula, roasted tomato crepe, two salads, escargot, lobster bisque, steamed mussels with white wine. Entrees include trout, steak frites, roasted chicken. Different plat du jour is offered each evening (slow-cooked duck breast, short rib bourguignon). The restaurant also has an extensive wine menu.

In the evenings that Le Grand Bistro hosts "Le Petit Chef", a 90-min VIP dining experience with 2 menus, there is a $55 cover charge PP. The experience features 4K projections bringing on plates animated 3D characters to life.

enhance

Just speculating....:D

That concept or gimmick will get real old, real fast. We're on the Millennium this week and had pre-purchased the 4-night specialty restaurant plan with the plan to go to Tuscan Grille twice, Qsine once, and Sushi on 5 once. Right now, neither Qsine or Le Petit Chef is even listed as an option. If LPC is included, we'd give it a shot for one night and stick to the plan. However, I can't see us ever going for this gimmick another time, so if ever book another cruise on an M class ship, we'll avoid the meal plan.

I thought Qsine was okay, but not great. The struggle there was the attempt at international cuisine, and the result was that none of it really seemed authentic. Any half decent middle eastern restaurant would be better than that type of food they served. The same goes for the Chinese food. It was all okay with plenty of choices, but nothing was truly outstanding. The Qsine concept was good. An authentic Spanish tapas place would have been a nice replacement concept and they could have sold some sangria with that. Instead of a needed tweak, they just killed it in favor of a gimmick.

Just looked at our sep cruise on Silhouette, no Qsine or Little Chef listed either

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How many people out of the population of thousands repeat a restaurant enough for it to "get old" so fast? Not everyone sails multiple times a year, so I can see this concept being around for a few years, at least.

We cruise, at most, once per year. If I went this month, I would never go again. It's less than a concept and moe of a gimmick. Samba Grill and Izumi on Royal Caribbean are concepts that work, and mainly because of the dining experience first.

We're not talking about "repeating a restaurant". This is about watching the same four little cartoons over and over again. It's a show and it's also not interactive like a Benihana/Japanese steak house.

I will admit that there are all kinds of possibilities with this projected animation. They could do real shows with music and real storylines. My issue is that, right now, the scope of the use of this technology is limited and repetitive. I do suppose that a $55 per person plate is overshadowed by technology.

We were on the Infinity last month, La Petite Chef was introduced on the Pacific Coast Cruise. We went opening night... Watched the entire restaurant giggle.. Ohhhs and Ahhhs and only positive comments! We returned a few nights later, loved it even more as there were so many things we did not see the first time. Again, people had a good time! Staff was unbelievable, service was great and the food was excellent! There are endless possibilities for the future, different presentations and menus. Part of our travel experience is to explore different places, cultures, foods and wines. This was a fun change, look forward to doing it again on the Edge!

For some.. they will never go, for some it will be a one time experience, and for some they will want to see it several times! It was amazing to see how many cell phones, cameras that were recording... We did too, but the movies /pictures can't replace the whole experience!

We were on the Infinity last month, La Petite Chef was introduced on the Pacific Coast Cruise. We went opening night... Watched the entire restaurant giggle.. Ohhhs and Ahhhs and only positive comments! We returned a few nights later, loved it even more as there were so many things we did not see the first time. Again, people had a good time! Staff was unbelievable, service was great and the food was excellent! There are endless possibilities for the future, different presentations and menus. Part of our travel experience is to explore different places, cultures, foods and wines. This was a fun change, look forward to doing it again on the Edge!

For some.. they will never go, for some it will be a one time experience, and for some they will want to see it several times! It was amazing to see how many cell phones, cameras that were recording... We did too, but the movies /pictures can't replace the whole experience!

Totally our experience on Reflection....watching the video on your iPad is not experiencing the meal. My only criticism would be I do think $55 is too high...We would happily visit again though!

Yes, and in expected fashion, many have decided they don’t like marmite before tasting it!

Can this be used as a dinning option when you have say a 4 night package ?

Can anyone confirm that for me please ?

Thank you

Brockmom

[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It’s so gimmicky with such a limited menu I don’t see how they would expect people to make a return visit,unlike Qsine which has a very broad menu where you could try a different combination of items over multiple visits. Very shortsighted on Celebrity’s part. I see this venue changing to something else within 6 months to a year of launching.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums