How to get from Paris to Le Havre Port?

canalgirl

HI,

We are spending a few days in Paris prior to our sailing from Le Havre.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a car company or a way to get from Paris to Le Havre.

I believe the train is just too complicated with luggage and kids in tow.

Thanks in advance!

Cinda

Personally, I'd go by train. You can use metro/cab to St. Lazare station in Paris and 2hrs 15mins later arrive in Le Havre...no changes...dead easy. Cab to ship (the cruise terminal is just over a mile from the station). The train is only €15/adult (just under $18).

Simon

HI,

Does anyone have a recommendation on a car company or a way to get from Paris to Le Havre.

Thanks in advance!

Cinda

You may want to ask [or search for] this again on the France forum - by Cruise Critic geography, France is not in 'Western Europe' its in 'Mediterranean'

We too, are staying in Paris, the night before sailing from Le Havre in August. I have been trying to avoid the train to Le Havre as well, as we are not wanting to deal with luggage ourselves, so had inquired about the Princess transfers, which today my travel agent has informed me, rather than providing a bus as I had expected, involves TAKING THE TRAIN from Paris for 125.00 CAD per person!

So, now I don't know what to do. The private transfers that I've been able to find so far run between 300-500 Euro.

The train on our own is less than 20 Euro but with strikes etc going on randomly in France, it seems, there is no guarantee of getting to our ship along with the hassle of dealing with our own luggage.

I am hoping that folks who are on some of the earlier British Isles cruises this season, who embark in Le Havre, will be able to shed some light on the best way to go about getting from Paris to the Royal Princess.

And yes, I am aware that this should be posted under FRANCE-Ports of Call but I too am looking for answers and there

are more folks here on this board. And it's all for the same cruise itinerary.......

• Like 1

You could rent a car from Paris to Le Havre. Driving time is about 2 hours, mostly highway. All the major international car rental companies have offices in Paris, and they may just deliver to your hotel. You should note that in Europe rental cars are usually standard transmission, but automatic cars are available. Also there are tolls to be paid along the highways - they can be paid by cash or credit card (with chip and pin number).

Interesting that your Princess transfer is said to involve the train instead of a bus. That doesn't make sense to me. This is the first time that Princess has done the BI cruise with Le Havre embarkation so maybe they are still figuring it out. I can't imagine that they won't offer a bus transfer from CDG airport and/or some central Paris location (someone on another thread mentioned a train station in Paris as a Princess transfer pickup point, not sure if they meant for the train or a bus). This is the main reason that I didn't book our BI cruise for next summer out of Le Havre, just too confusing on how to get to the ship and not much information from Princess about it yet.

My TA told me that the Princess transfer would involve the train but after reading that same thread on the Princess Board with info from Crystabel, I am guessing that my TA misinterpreted due to the meeting point being at the train station.

I am surely wishing now, that we were embarking at

Southampton, but when this itinerary popped up on my computer one day just recently, I jumped on it because it looked so fabulous and I booked without even realizing there was another option of embarkation port! Plane tickets are booked to CDG so we will just have to make the best of it.

It will all be part of the adventure.....

Absent any mobility issues, I would certainly go with the train. As you say - "All part of the adventure". At least you can get advance notice of any strikes.

St Lazare is much like an airport

so if you can manage CDG, you can manage that.

• 4 weeks later...
We are on the Royal Princess 12 night British Isles cruise leaving LeHavre on August 28, 2018 returning to LeHavre on September 9, 2018. We will be spending 2 days in Paris before the cruise leaves.

Here are 2 Transfer services you can check out:

http://www.airportstaxitransfers.com

http://www.mydriver.com

Have you booked your transfer with one of the companies you listed above? ...or through Princess?

If so, may I ask where your pickup point is?

Thanks .

We are taking the Princess transfer from Paris to LeHavre. It is scheduled to be via coach, not train, although it does depart from the train station.

My feeling is you just have to look at all the options and choose what works best for you. Different folks have different priorities!

Good luck.

We only have one night in Paris before leaving for Le Havre on Aug. 28th. My preference is to take the Princess transfer and I've learned here on CC that even though it leaves from a Train Stn, it is actually a motor coach transfer and that suits us fine as long as we don't have to drag our bags too far.

I've been trying to get info on this years arrangements with Princess that other folks have had experience with, as my TA is away and I want to get our hotel booked as close to that pickup point as possible.

So, until the TA returns, I'm going with the transfer being from the same place as those who've booked for next year, which is the Gare Montparnasse in the 14th Arrondissement. And I've booked the Mercure Paris across the street.

Thanks for your help CC members.

Doreen

HI,

Thanks in advance!

Cinda

Step one: Buy an atlas.

Doreen

We are on the August 16 sailing and for us, the coach pick up is the Montparnasse train station. I think we need to be there at 9:30.

Lynn

That's what we've been told for our Princess transfer for the July 23 sailing as well.

Dawn

We too, are staying in Paris, the night before sailing from Le Havre in August. I have been trying to avoid the train to Le Havre as well, as we are not wanting to deal with luggage ourselves, so had inquired about the Princess transfers, which today my travel agent has informed me, rather than providing a bus as I had expected, involves TAKING THE TRAIN from Paris for 125.00 CAD per person!

So, now I don't know what to do. The private transfers that I've been able to find so far run between 300-500 Euro.

The train on our own is less than 20 Euro but with strikes etc going on randomly in France, it seems, there is no guarantee of getting to our ship along with the hassle of dealing with our own luggage.

I am hoping that folks who are on some of the earlier British Isles cruises this season, who embark in Le Havre, will be able to shed some light on the best way to go about getting from Paris to the Royal Princess.

And yes, I am aware that this should be posted under FRANCE-Ports of Call but I too am looking for answers and there

are more folks here on this board. And it's all for the same cruise itinerary.......

Maybe it’s time to get a new TA who’s more familiar with Princess, if you sail with them a lot. For a Princess transfer, the meeting point is at the train station, but transportation to Le Havre is by motor coach.

Sometimes travelers must face certain realities. Using the train between Paris and Le Havre makes the most sense, both logistically and economically. That is why even even some cruise lines use the train for their transfers (and charge more money). The OP is correct to have some concern about luggage handling because European train travel generally means you must handle your own luggage. This means getting it through the station to the Platform, on the train, and either in a rack at the end of a car or above your seat.

So what to do if simply cannot handle the luggage? You can book a private transfer for a lot of Euros or get a one-way rental car and drive yourself (which has its own issues).

We are not aware of any other reasonable options. I would add that we have personally used the train and also rented cars. And the one-way rental car would be our option if we were concerned about train strikes. The reality about the strikes is that they are generally announced well in advance.

As to using the train it really is not at all complicated. You can book your tickets in advance on SNCF's own web site or use a third party booking site (such as Eurorail) where you might pay a premium. In Paris you can either use the Metro or a taxi to get to the station. Your hotel can arrange for a taxi or you can book in advance with G7 Taxis who have an English speaking phone number.

Once you arrive at the Le Havre station you simply walk out the main entrance, turn to your left and walk around the side of the building where you will find the taxi queue. It is about a 10 min taxi ride to the port.

Hank

• Like 1

Strikes do NOT go on randomly in France or in other European countries. They are scheduled ahead of time by the labor unions. That is their deal with the governments. The unions get the right to strike, but they must notify everyone well ahead of time. So if your dates are flexible, you can take the train. Here is the SNCF (French railroads) strike schedule:

https://en.oui.sncf/train/strike

The train strike will be over this June 16. There are no strikes scheduled for August, which would be madness from the unions because all of France goes on vacation in August!

While taking the train or renting a car may be less expensive and/or more convenient for some people, strikes, accidents, or road construction could cause some real delays in getting to the port. If using a Princess transfer, and there is a delay, the ship will wait for you or the cruise line will get you to the next port. The extra cost IMO is called “insurance”.

Yes, the cost really is CAD 125.00. But worth it to me for the security (insurance), of getting me to the Port,

guaranteed by Princess. Also, it is not by train, it is by motor coach. I assume that once we meet our Princess Rep at the Station, that someone will take care of our luggage as well - this is important to ME.

( Also, the private transfers that I found ranged in price from 300-800 Euro !).

Earlier this year, the Embarkation Port of LeHavre was missed by Princess due to weather. Only the folks with a Princess transfer purchased, were assisted with travel plans to get them to Southhampton by the next day so they could join their cruise.

The rest were on their own!!

According to some posts here on CC, Princess has since made amends to those affected, ( 300 or so I believe ), but that was of of no help to them at the time.

I am risk-averse and am fully aware that I take on such extra costs for the peace of mind that having purchased Princess Transfers brings me. I am so cautious, that in fact, we will be staying at a hotel within walking distance of the meeting point for our transfer, so that I KNOW that we will be on time for our 9:30 departure from Paris to Le Havre and we will have made a "dry-run" to that departure point the day before. So that I know exactly where it is and how long it takes to get there..........to each his own!

YMMV

Doreen (P.E.I.)

Thank you for a very thoughtful reply. We too are thinking of doing the Princess transfer for many of the same reasons you gave. But neither of us had thought about what if the ship didn’t make it to port. More incentive to go Princess to me. As to the train, it seems like 50% of the time we have gone to LeHarve the trains are closed due to strikes, so I am not that confident on them getting us to the port.