Pride of America stopping at Hilo

I could be mistaken, but I can't imagine them not stopping in Hilo. Kilauea is far enough away that it shouldn't be affecting that part of the island. I do believe there are limitations on going to VNP and the southeastern part of the island however.

I could be mistaken, but I can't imagine them not stopping in Hilo. Kilauea is far enough away that it shouldn't be affecting that part of the island. I do believe there are limitations on going to VNP and the southeastern part of the island however.

It could be due to the air quality depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Weather news has it that if the winds shift to the northwest Maui Molokai and Oahu maybe be affected with VOG.

The lava while unpredictable is slow moving - the winds however can be blown miles in whatever direction the

trade winds are blowing - currently the restriction is eastward toward Hilo. Thus No Hilo port call or any sailing

the south coast of the Big Island to see Madam Pele's work in progress. A sudden reverse of the wind direction

could affect the port call at Kona and as noted above the islands northwest of the Big Island.

Yes there are limitations for the Volcano National Park (VNP) but cruise ship excursions are not going to be

able to do that from Hilo with no port stop. Kona Yes but only if the POA docks (tenders) there.

The main element of concern with VOG is the sulfur dioxide which causes bad respiratory problems some

fatal to sensitive people.

CBS NEWS LINK:

http://www.azfamily.com/story/38144816/hawaii-island-update-what-to-know-before-you-go-and-you-can-go

Hawaii Visitors Bureau UPDATE: picture/image

894114835_HawaiiVB.png.c46f79be7c2bfe9834fa2e01df90f541.png

We are supposed to renew our vows in Hilo on Tuesday. I’ll be crushed [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It maybe possible if the POA port calls at Kona - then rent a car and drive to Hilo - but beware the roads

will me a mess with traffic detoured from the areas affected by Kilauea.

It is doable - check the schedule to see how much time you will have - there certainly will be enough time

to say "I DO" again.

Best wishes and happy Aloha anniversary.

Alternate option at the end of the cruise fly from Honolulu to Hilo - there are Mainland flights from the Big Island.

We are supposed to renew our vows in Hilo on Tuesday. I’ll be crushed [emoji17]

POA missed Hilo yesterday due to weather. It is in Kona today. Congratulations and have a wonderful time in Hilo next week. It's beautiful.

wrt the comment on VOG on Oahu, the volcano has been continuously erupting since 1983. And during "Kona Winds", you often get VOG on Oahu. Normally, the lava flows underground and into the ocean. Which is why the POA takes a weekly pass around that area to see the lava flow. Unfortunately, some of the lava has decided to come up out of the ground in the middle of a subdivision.

I heard today that ALL cruise lines were banned from making any stops on the island. Yes, the volcano is a long distance from the ports. My guess is that they may need the areas available to handle the evacuees from the island.

So much misinformation in this thread. The tourist areas are not impacted at all. Any ships that miss Hilo do so because of high wind or surf, that have nothing to do with the volcano.

The volcano is affecting a tiny area, and only a relatively few number of people have been evacuated. It is tough for them but has no impact on others.

Use this site for the most up to date information https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/

As you can see from the map on this site, the winds are blowing away from Hilo and toward the south west, where the closest land is a few thousand miles away. https://www.hawaiiso2network.com/

Enjoy Hawaii, and do not be afraid to visit the volcano. It is very impressive, though you are not likely to see any lava flowing as that is occuring in a very remote area, away from the summit.

We were at VNP a week ago on Sunday to Tuesday. The eruption started on Tuesday after a couple earthquakes on Monday night. I just heard on the news that they are now closing the national park due to the possibility of explosive eruptions. That's a shame. The caldera was very active when we were there but we were lucky to have left on Tuesday when we did (drove over to Kona via the southern part of the island route). We later learned they closed some of roads behind us. Good timing on our part.