Is there a way to avoid hot deck surfaces?

Replace deck with tiles from the heat shield of the space shuttle [emoji16]

Now now, lets not give Carnival another excuse to raise prices on something or cut services somewhere to pay for those $10,000 per square foot tiles. LOL.

I've never really paid attention when i'm sitting out on deck what the deck is made of. I figured it was imitation decking material like a sheet covering with a wood deck print on it.

My husband is diabetic and doesn't have the same sensations in his feet that the rest of us do. He was standing on the deck about 10 feet away talking to me on our first cruise and I started walking toward him- I yelped and had to jump back in the shade and put my slip-ons on. I yelled at him to get off the hot deck- he had no clue his feet were burning. That night he commented that his feet 'felt squishy'. Sure enough, blisters on both soles! Now he isn't allowed near the pool without swim shoes or at least his running shoes on for walking back and forth.

While I understand what KPCHENG is saying, I'm wondering why my pool deck at home when I lived in FLA was never hot to walk on, even in the worst heat! It was a concrete pebble-smooth surface covered in regular deck paint- I know because I'm the one who bought the paint and painted it every 3 years!

My husband is diabetic and doesn't have the same sensations in his feet that the rest of us do. He was standing on the deck about 10 feet away talking to me on our first cruise and I started walking toward him- I yelped and had to jump back in the shade and put my slip-ons on. I yelled at him to get off the hot deck- he had no clue his feet were burning. That night he commented that his feet 'felt squishy'. Sure enough, blisters on both soles! Now he isn't allowed near the pool without swim shoes or at least his running shoes on for walking back and forth.

While I understand what KPCHENG is saying, I'm wondering why my pool deck at home when I lived in FLA was never hot to walk on, even in the worst heat! It was a concrete pebble-smooth surface covered in regular deck paint- I know because I'm the one who bought the paint and painted it every 3 years!

Concrete creates thermal mass that absobs heat, and will transmit that heat to the center of the concrete, away from the surface. Conversely, it will retain that heat at night, and slowly move the heat from the center of the concrete to the surface. A light colored paint will also reflect more heat than a dark color. Unfortunately, due to the flexing and stressing of ship's decks, a concrete deck is not feasible.

Concrete creates thermal mass that absobs heat, and will transmit that heat to the center of the concrete, away from the surface. Conversely, it will retain that heat at night, and slowly move the heat from the center of the concrete to the surface. A light colored paint will also reflect more heat than a dark color. Unfortunately, due to the flexing and stressing of ship's decks, a concrete deck is not feasible.

Ah, thanks cheng... that makes perfect sense...

I have seen more people slip, trip, and fall wearing "flip flops" WHEN they are in a hurry.

I would think that some form of water shoe would be the best all around footwear. (Fashion aside.)

My opinion, of course! ;)

I always wear flip flops to walk on the deck. Even on the steps to go up to the waterslides. The non-slip black sandpaper gets so hot it will blister your soles. Happened to me on my first cruise.

I just take them off and hold them as in going down the slide. Once or twice the slide staff said I could leave the flip flops at the top and slide without them but I just said that it's too hot to walk without them and they had no problem with me holding them. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, any surface subject to direct sunlight will get into the 120+ F range rather quickly, which over time can cause burns. The hotter the surface, the quicker the burn. Counter-intuitively, a plain metal (steel) deck will be cooler than one covered with something like teak or Bolidt rubber decking. This is because the steel will transmit the heat away from the surface faster than the other materials, which tend to hold heat due to their poor thermal transmission values.

Wouldn't the latter (the ability to transmit heat) also hold true in reverse? I mean, even if a steel surface is 140 degrees F (60 celcius), and a wooden one is 176 F (80 celcius), I'd gamble on walking 20 feet on the wooden surface. My guess is that the counter-intuitivity stems from the fact that you could slow-cook hamburgers on the steel surface, where the wood wouldn't be able to keep the heat up on the surface.

Instead of teak or rubber, at 0.026 W/mK I guess polystyrene would be perfectly safe for any temperature. Which reflects my intuition as well, I can't remember touching a piece of polystyrine and noticing its temperature.

Anyway, while I feel it's yet another frivolous lawsuit, it would be because the man knew that due to his condition there was an extra risk he needed to pay attention to by checking the temperature or more simply by wearing footware. A person without that condition wouldn't be slowly walking around enough to get severe burns. In comparison, if a kid wouldn't understand how a shower works, it's the parents who should make sure the kid doesn't get burned.

Then again, it's not that obvious that a deck can be hot enough to lead to serious infections and an amputation.

There are signs that you shouldn't dive in 1 foot water, that eating raw or undercooked food might make you sick, that when it rains, the outside deck is wet and slippery, and many similar warnings apparently aimed at people who function at the level of a 5 year old who happen to be able to read. In such an environment, I would expect a sign informing me that the floor is lava when it actually is.

To me, it's as silly as someone filing a lawsuit because they get a sunburn. For the majority of people, it should be common sense that if it hurts, you shouldn't continue standing on the hot surface. Unfortunately, there are a lot of very stupid people in the world...but to answer your question, wear shoes and leave them near the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just get a pair of water shoes. You can wear them going down the slide so you don’t have to worry about walking back to your shoes. My kids complain about wearing them, but I tell them no water shoes, no swimming/sliding.

Actually...you're not supposed to wear water shoes with grippy bits on the bottom on the slides. We were told by several Carnival employees and a cruise director that the reason you're not supposed to wear them is because your feet could get stuck on the side of the slide and cause all sorts of problems for you. :( And that's not fun.

There are signs that you shouldn't dive in 1 foot water, that eating raw or undercooked food might make you sick, that when it rains, the outside deck is wet and slippery, and many similar warnings apparently aimed at people who function at the level of a 5 year old who happen to be able to read. In such an environment, I would expect a sign informing me that the floor is lava when it actually is.

I think I'm insufficiently clear. I mean that the ships should get rid of all those signs and warnings aiming at rather low risks that an adult should be able to avoid. Next thing is that people need to sign a waiver saying that they understand that the knives and forks used in MDR are a severe risk to eye sight when poked in an eye.

The fact that a deck can be extremely hot, however, is a bit more than expected danger. Let's say I'm on a ship shown around by a friend who's a Chief Engineer. He wouldn't say "don't dive into that pool" or "are you sure you want to eat undercooked eggs" or "it's been raining, so this deck is slippery". If I'd fall because of a wet deck I'd expect him to be laughing at my stupidity and to keep laughing while the doctor is fixing my broken foot. He would however say "Now I think it's better if you put some shoes on, this deck is much hotter than you'd think". The Chief would understand that it's very unusual that walking on bare feet poses a danger.

Actually...you're not supposed to wear water shoes with grippy bits on the bottom on the slides. We were told by several Carnival employees and a cruise director that the reason you're not supposed to wear them is because your feet could get stuck on the side of the slide and cause all sorts of problems for you. :( And that's not fun.

Yikes, I never thought of that. No one ever told my kids they had to take off the water shoes. Guess I’ll try to think of something else

Yes, apparently he had a nerve condition that meant he couldn't feel pain in his feet. He knew this, he knew the deck would be hot, but chose not to wear anything on his feet. A lot like the "contents may be hot" warning.
He has diabetic neuropathy, and should know to be more careful with his feet! But everyone’s chasing easy money nowadays. I hope his case gets thrown out of court.

My favorite flip flops are Clarks - they have a thick, non-slip rubber sole. They are not cheap, but they last for years. I have a second pair that I grabbed on sale even though my first pair is not completely worn out yet. I like them because I can walk in them for long periods of time comfortably, whereas some of my prettier ones are so thin that they offer no cushion or support for my feet.

As far as the slide, I just hold them while going down.

My favorite flip flops are Clarks - they have a thick, non-slip rubber sole. They are not cheap, but they last for years. I have a second pair that I grabbed on sale even though my first pair is not completely worn out yet. I like them because I can walk in them for long periods of time comfortably, whereas some of my prettier ones are so thin that they offer no cushion or support for my feet.

As far as the slide, I just hold them while going down.

Really? I wasn’t aware that Clark’s made sandals. I will have to check. I have several pairs of Clark shoes that I wore religiously at work in my last position before retirement. Loved them! I cannot wear pretty flat thin sandals at all. I need some sort of support. I have 2 pairs from Lands End that are great, also.

Yikes, I never thought of that. No one ever told my kids they had to take off the water shoes. Guess I’ll try to think of something else

They can just leave them at the bottom before going to the top. In my experience the path from the bottom of the slides to the top is always wet, so it doesn't get too hot.