Live from NA May 26 - June 2, 2018!!

EeyoreRN

So tomorrow at this time we will be on the plane, Air Canada out of Newark International, heading to Vancouver via Calgary. Got us all checked in for our flights just now...this is getting REAL, folks. Starting to panic a little about all I have to do before I "sleep" tonight. Luggage hasn't even made it's way down from the attic yet. I guess it's not going to move itself...

More later!

I have to add a huge thanks to all who are following along. Please feel free to ask any questions you'd like and I will do my best to answer. I probably won't be answering each individual post with quotes like I have been trying to do now. When I'm on vacation without access to my laptop, this will probably be too time-consuming for me, if that makes sense! I'm not a particularly fast texter or very good with technology but I promise to do my best. If I seem to miss your question, please don't worry about asking again to remind me!!

What a fun time, you're going to have! Canada<-->US is considered a TRANSborder flight, as opposed to International. That's 'cause we're cousins. ;)

AHA! Silly me, all unawares that there was something in between national and international! Thanks for clarifying for me, Cuz! ;p

How exciting - we are cruising on June 23! First time for us on HAL and NA so looking for any and all info you can post. Most interested in the daily activity papers.

Safe travels!

Tammy

Thanks for following! This is also my family's first HAL experience (only comparison is Celebrity long ago and Royal Caribbean more recently). I will offer all I can!

Our itinerary- 7 days round trip out of Vancouver on Nieuw Amsterdam.

As you know, choosing an itinerary for a first cruise to Alaska can be overwhelming! So much to consider! One way or round trip? Which cruise line? Seattle or Vancouver? Which ship? And on and on. I finally decided we had to include Glacier Bay and narrowed it down to Princess and HAL. Princess had no r/t from Vancouver, and many here on CC advised going for the Inside Passage. So way back of April last year I found this perfect itinerary that left on the holiday weekend, making it much easier for both hubby and daughter to take the time off from work. And so we chose NA:a22300cce3b13dd311bb25afbe9ff7cd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Saturday 5/26 Embark Vancouver, Sailaway 4:30pm

Sunday 5/27 Scenic Cruising Inside Passage

Monday 5/28 Juneau 1pm-10pm

Tuesday 5/29 Skagway 7am-9pm

Wednesday 5/30 Scenic Cruising Glacier Bay

Thrusday 5/31 Ketchikan 10am-6pm

Friday 6/1 Scenic Cruising Inside Passage

Saturday 6/2 Disembark Vancouver 7am

Here is a link to a poll I posted last year that contains all the advice from CC that we considered when choosing this itinerary.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2487386

Edited by EeyoreRN

do you have a couple of days in Vancouver before you sail?

It's a beautiful city!

This will be our first time on HAL, we have only sailed Oceania.

We are sailing with friends who live on Vancouver Island, and we'll sail right past their city. This is their 3rd Alaska cruise, our first.

I look forward to following/asking questions. Thanks!

Our itinerary- 7 days round trip out of Vancouver on Nieuw Amsterdam.

As you know, choosing an itinerary for a first cruise to Alaska can be overwhelming! So much to consider! One way or round trip? Which cruise line? Seattle or Vancouver? Which ship? And on and on. I finally decided we had to include Glacier Bay and narrowed it down to Princess and HAL. Princess had no r/t from Vancouver, and many here on CC advised going for the Inside Passage. So way back of April last year I found this perfect itinerary that left on the holiday weekend, making it much easier for both hubby and daughter to take the time off from work.

We went through the same analysis and came to the same conclusion. More recently I've begun to question the inside passage part of it since it seems that our ship traverses practically the entire Johnstone Strait in the dark. However, it will still be much more protected from open seas.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

do you have a couple of days in Vancouver before you sail?

It's a beautiful city!

This will be our first time on HAL, we have only sailed Oceania.

We are sailing with friends who live on Vancouver Island, and we'll sail right past their city. This is their 3rd Alaska cruise, our first.

I look forward to following/asking questions. Thanks!

We arrive in Vancouver early afternoon tomorrow, sail Saturday to Saturday, and then another full day in Vancouver upon return, as we don't fly out until Sunday am. Do you have any specific suggestions? Thanks for following!

We went through the same analysis and came to the same conclusion. More recently I've begun to question the inside passage part of it since it seems that our ship traverses practically the entire Johnstone Strait in the dark. However, it will still be much more protected from open seas.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

I had never heard of Johnstone Strait until a few days ago that I can remember so I don't think we will realize what we're missing. Still super-excited about the other scenery on the Inside Passage!

bUU: my friends live in Campbell River on Vancouver Island(look at a map), and just last week they saw the ship pass by, so you should see some of Johnstone Strait...on the way home anyway!
Excellent!

I stayed in Vancouver an extra day after leaving a HAL cruise. I rode the HOHO bus and stopped at the Market (can't remember the exact name), you must see the Gas light district (fun to walk around) and Stanley Park. So much to do and a great city--- I wish I had more time there. Have a great trip!

I've only been to Vancouver once, but Stanley Park is beautiful, as is the view from Grouse Mountain. Also there is a famous suspension bridge, don't know the name...didn't go.

Spending tomorrow afternoon on Granville Island and Friday taking our time working our way through Stanley Park. Not sure if we will get over to North Vancouver where the mountain (I think) and the bridge are...we may do that next Saturday. Or just focus on Gastown and Yaletown.

Enjoy! Wonderful itinerary and ship....I look forward to following along!

Thanks! Glad you're here.

bUU: my friends live in Campbell River on Vancouver Island(look at a map), and just last week they saw the ship pass by, so you should see some of Johnstone Strait...on the way home anyway!

Thank you for this info, and I was wondering if we would have a better chance of seeing the Strait on the way back down. This would be great!

I stayed in Vancouver an extra day after leaving a HAL cruise. I rode the HOHO bus and stopped at the Market (can't remember the exact name), you must see the Gas light district (fun to walk around) and Stanley Park. So much to do and a great city--- I wish I had more time there. Have a great trip!

Granville Public Market is on our agenda for tomorrow afternoon. I was thinking about doing HOHO, but might just focus on the park on Friday and based on what we cover we can decide what we still want to do the following Saturday. Thanks for the tips and for following!

Thank you for this info, and I was wondering if we would have a better chance of seeing the Strait on the way back down. This would be great!
I'll try to track the ship on Friday and Saturday to see when it hits the strait.

Not sure what time you arrive in Vancouver but be prepared although it's clear it is quite windy and cool today.

Friday is supposed to be nicer. I'd recommend going to Grouse Mountain-it's pricy but gives a spectacular view of the city. Lots to walk around and see and of course our resident grizzly bears are awake now-they are fun to watch there. (We love Grouse Mountain and can see it from our living room).

Enjoy your holiday and our beautiful Vancouver.

I'll try to track the ship on Friday and Saturday to see when it hits the strait.

How would you do this? I am intrigued!

Not sure what time you arrive in Vancouver but be prepared although it's clear it is quite windy and cool today.

Friday is supposed to be nicer. I'd recommend going to Grouse Mountain-it's pricy but gives a spectacular view of the city. Lots to walk around and see and of course our resident grizzly bears are awake now-they are fun to watch there. (We love Grouse Mountain and can see it from our living room).

Enjoy your holiday and our beautiful Vancouver.

We arrive around 1pm. Plan to take a taxi to hotel and check in clean up a bit and walk over to GI. Thanks for the tip about the weather. If we do ever get over to Grouse it will be next Saturday. We're already pretty beat. Tomorrow is for a lazy start and lolling around Stanley park. Saturday we board NA!

There is a website that tracks Marine vessels. Ships report their GPS position every 15 minutes I think and every point going back weeks is available for review on the website, and the data from the last 24 hours for free.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to pay that site's url?