Texting while on FOS

So first of all, THANK YOU ALL for the info and suggestions I've received here at Cruise Critic.

With that said, now that we are down to 8 days before our cruise, I'm starting to freak out a little, OK a lot! My wife and I are trying to figure out how to stay in touch with each other without racking up a enormous cell phone bill while on the ship. I've searched the boards, but there is so much info that I cant sift through it all and find what I'm looking for.

We have purchased VOOM for both of us and below are some of our specifics:

• I'm assuming we should place our phones on airplane mode
  • She has Verizon and I have TMobile
  • We both have IPhones
  • What next?

Any ideas or suggestions will be met with open arms and loving smiles! And if you are on Freedom of the Seas for the June 2 cruise and this works, I might just buy ya a drink as a THANK YOU!

Just trying to figure out what I need to know about staying in touch with my wife as she explores the shops and I down a few tasty frozen tropical beverages of choice!

Thanks in advance! :cool:

If you both have VOOM and iPhone, from what I have read, you can use iMeasages to text back and forth. I hav also read that you don't have to even get the VOOM to use iMeasage due to a glitch that has not been fixed yet. When you connect up the the ship WIFI, iMeasages work.

If you both have VOOM and iPhone, from what I have read, you can use iMeasages to text back and forth. I hav also read that you don't have to even get the VOOM to use iMeasage due to a glitch that has not been fixed yet. When you connect up the the ship WIFI, iMeasages work.

The "free" iMessage texting has not been reported from Freedom. Only from Quantum class ships and Harmony.

I am in a mixed marriage. My wife has an IPhone while I have a Samsung Galaxy (Android) I get the 2 device Voom package. Put our phones in airplane mode and text messages each other.

One question for you. Did you buy 1 device voom package for yourself and 1 device voom package for your wife. It is cheaper to buy a 2 device package for just one of you. You then share the package as it is for 2 devices being connected at the same time. The system doesn't care who is actually using the device that is connected.

Having said that,

As another said, even before texting was available, me and my wife had no problem in finding each other. Before heading out we would tell each other our game plans, leave notes in the cabin and leave voice mail on the cabin phone.

We used VOOM to communicate between myself and wife with kids onboard (also needed it for some work reasons, ugh). iMessage and FaceTime worked quite well on the boat, as well as communicating with anyone on the US mainland.

I would, however, strongly suggest you DO NOT get VOOM package unless absolutely necessary. My wife and I have cruised three times previously without only an Internet package. I AM TELLING YOU BEING DISCONNECTED IS JUST FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

Just to emphasize a particularly important point. Make sure that you put your phone in AIRPLANE mode. If you don’t your cell phone service will likely automatically connect to the “Cellular at Sea” service. That mistake would be very expensive.

Also see if your cell your phone company has a international plan or international day pass. We have AT&T and we did that just in case we (1) we needed it and (2) in case we screwed up and accidentally turned on the phones lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely set up WiFi calling before you leave. You must set it up while connected to your cellular network.

Once set up, you leave your phones in Airplane mode, connect to Voom, then you can text, call, iMessage, use internet, everything.

Definitely set up WiFi calling before you leave. You must set it up while connected to your cellular network.

Once set up, you leave your phones in Airplane mode, connect to Voom, then you can text, call, iMessage, use internet, everything.

I will just need my work phone for emails while at sea. So should I still set to airplane mode? Thanks!

Leave notes in the room.

Set a designated meeting time/location.

Say "I'll be at the pool/solarium/lounge/etc".

When we get on a cruise, our phones get turned off and put in the safe.

^^^^This. Hasn’t failed us in over 25 years of cruising.

What does Voom cost for a family? Can we all share one purchase or do we need to buy one for each of us?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can all share a one device plan but that means only one device at a time. If more than one device needs to be connected, then buy a multi-device plan. How much it costs depends on how many devices and how long your cruise is.

I will just need my work phone for emails while at sea. So should I still set to airplane mode? Thanks!

For a work phone, you could use Cellular at Sea for data. But it will be expensive.

But if you use wifi, yes, put it in airplane mode, then turn wifi ON.

For a work phone, you could use Cellular at Sea for data. But it will be expensive. ...

Data over Cellular at Sea would be very slow, and not possible on Verizon.

Failing the mesh receivers (they work by creating a mesh network. The more people who have them on the ship, the more comprehensive the network. If it’s just my kid and I, probably wouldn’t work that great) I guess we will look for long range walkie talkies.

Does anyone have a model that they like that works great on the ship and uses discrete frequencies etc?

This will be the first cruise that our son will have some freedom (he is 12) so I’d rather be able to get in touch with him rather than rely on the whiteboard method.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Failing the mesh receivers (they work by creating a mesh network. The more people who have them on the ship, the more comprehensive the network. If it’s just my kid and I, probably wouldn’t work that great) I guess we will look for long range walkie talkies.

Does anyone have a model that they like that works great on the ship and uses discrete frequencies etc?

This will be the first cruise that our son will have some freedom (he is 12) so I’d rather be able to get in touch with him rather than rely on the whiteboard method.

We've had poor luck with walkie-talkies. Once we are separated by a few decks, communication was poor to impossible. Your best bet for reliable communication is to buy the internet service for your devices.

Ships are all steel, with steel walls, floors, and ceilings. Radio waves don't penetrate steel very well.

Ships personnel radios work because there are a large number of repeaters on board.

Also, walkie talkies may not be legal on some countries that you may visit. Not just in port, but once you enter the territorial waters.

The frequencies used by your devices may be used by military, police, or other emergency services, and using them could get you in a lot of trouble.