No response from Carnival management after being denied boarding in error

I think the lesson learned here is .... if you have a passport, then you should always travel outside your home country with your passport. It seems odd to me that someone would go through the steps to obtain an alternate proof of citizenship if you already have the best proof in your hands, a valid passport. I’m obviously missing the other benefits of having a NEXUS card?

I think the lesson learned here is .... if you have a passport, then you should always travel outside your home country with your passport. It seems odd to me that someone would go through the steps to obtain an alternate proof of citizenship if you already have the best proof in your hands, a valid passport. I’m obviously missing the other benefits of having a NEXUS card?

I mentioned, well sort of, the reason for NEXUS. If you are a long haul truck driver, if your business is going back and forth between Canada and US, NEXUS makes sense as you are not held up at Border Crossings as time is money You may from time to time be subject to going through the old fashion way just like those who have TSA Pre-Check may be subjected to going through the long slow line.

Ramona

Couldn't help but notice your signature date for the Dream, That is today, right? Have fun and bring your passport...:cool:

Yes, boarding at 2. Have passports! I triple checked. Actually my daughter’s came in about 1.5 weeks ago— had to expedite hers.

Hi

The NEXUS card allows you a priority entry into the U.S. when driving. There are specific lanes that NEXUS card holders may use which will typically give you much faster entry. Like a "pre approval" for U.S. entry. There are rule that need to be followed and an extensive application process, but for people who cross the border often, it is well worth it. You have all seen the debates about FTTF on these threads...somewhat similar idea. :)

Anyway, for the OP if you did have a valid passport and didn't bring it, that was silly. If you don't currently have a valid passport, then you don't have a passport.

I don't think you will get any further in your quest on your own, and I don't know if you really should get any more. What I would suggest (if you think it's worth your time) is to try and get some third party ombudsmen from a TV, radio, newspaper to step in and support your position. They might be able to get you something as a corporate goodwill gesture. If they did do this investigation, then they would likely be able to tell if Carnival followed their policy correctly. If you can't find someone to do this, then I would move on.

good luck in the future

As you've seen posted already numerous times, you absolutely should have brought your passport. In my home state we need numerous forms of ID to get a license but that doesn't mean you don't need to actually bring the license as photo i.d. when we travel. Seems this is what you thought when you applied for the Nexis card and needed a passport. BUT the passport was still needed to board the ship.

Consider it lesson learned. Your mom could have still cruised even though I understand why she wouldn't want to. But from Carnival's standpoint, that personal choice when she was fully eligible to board doesn't obligate them to reimburse her.

Not sure why you mentioned in one of your initial posts that Carnival should also consider doing something for you for missed time at work. You were going on a cruise anyway.

While I'm no expert on this, shouldn't one who has a NEXUS card also carry their passport?

Already answered (see above) NEXUS is only for people who pass through the US and Canadian border all the time by ground transportation: truck drivers, live in Canada work in USA/USA work in Canada. etc.

Ramona

If I had my passport, I would have showed it. Having a NEXUS is proof that I do have a passport though. And keep in mind that Carnival and I aren't bound by these FAQs. We were bound by the contract. There is nothing in their contract that says that I had to produce a passport specifically--I followed my contractual obligations.

A Nexus card is only proof that you had a valid passport when it was issued, not that you continue to have a valid passport for the entire time the nexus card is valid. Nexus is a US/Canadian joint issued service, it is not good for travel to other countries, and a cruise goes to other countries.

I think their NEXUS card must have been brand new, never used before. Otherwise, wouldn't they have tried it on one of their many Princess cruises? Actually, I can see her point. I have never seen a NEXUS card, but I have a Global Entry card, and you have to have a passport to get one, it has your picture on it, and on the front of the card it says Citizenship USA. But the WHTI is from 2007...Did the NEXUS card even exist then? Has the initiative been updated since then? And as for military ID...To be an officer in the US military, you have to be a US citizen. So a military ID for an officer (they have your picture on them) should also prove citizenship. Just some suggestions that could/should be made to the WHTI. EM