What are the benefits of transferring a booking to a travel agent?

I just booked a cruise last week though the Royal site. I have never used a TA. Never really considered finding one until we are ready for a trip I am not comfortable planning.

I had read in a post that someone had booked with Royal, then transferred the booking to her TA for extra benefits. I thought that sounded neat, but didn't think much of it.

I looking up totally different topic and came across this, which has really gotten me more curious.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/direct-booking-transfer

I am wondering what kind of benefits there are/I might look for, if it is actually worth transferring and how do I find a ta?

Even if I don't use it for this sailing, it is something I'd like to keep in the back of my mind for my next cruise.

Thanks!

Really depends on the TA. My TA in addition to whatever perks they offer is always able to get a lower price than what I got from Royal. Another perk is Royal’s computer system will not ever reprice or otherwise mess up your reservation. I often read of customers having their reservation repriced if they do anything on their reservation. I’ve never seen a similar complaint from anyone whose reservation had been turned over to a TA.

... I am wondering what kind of benefits there are/I might look for, if it is actually worth transferring and how do I find a ta? ...

Benefits could be OBC, free gratuities, lower price if they have a group on your sailing, spa treatments, specialty restaurants, and great service. We found our travel agent via word of mouth with cruiser friends.

Whatever benefits a TA offers. Most will give some on board credit, Some do free gratuities, wine, specialty dinners, spa services, etc. Be careful to question if the TA has change or cancellation fees. Do not book with one that does. If you have problems or questions the TA will handle for you. No waiting on the phone to get thru' to the cruise line.We can't name TA's here, so you will have to find for yourself.

I am definitely NOT a fan of using a TA. We used a TA last year because they were the only ones that had staterooms available for the cruise we wanted. A few months later I noticed a better location but the TA totally refused to do anything stating that that room was NOT available. The staeroom was clearly available on the RCI website but obviously..not available for the TA...or..the TA just did not want to be bothered..

Another situation was when we did a small group and used a TA. I noticed that prices dropped and contacted the TA. They were able to get price drops for everyone except us! Okay..I got it! I was NOT supposed to ask for price drops!

We may not get additional OBC but...I prefer being able to contact the cruise line directly and getting price drops as they happen!

Thank you everyone! Looks like it is worth looking into!

Royal gives you 60 days from booking to transfer to a TA. You keep everything Royal gave you, We booked Monday with Royal to pick up the OBC they were offering for the Memorial day sale, We called the online TA that we use this morning and transferred the booking, all you do is give the TA your reservation number, we picked up matching OBC, a $50 OBC bonus, specialty dining for 1 night, and $100 in lieu of the usual pre paid gratuities. This was for a 2020 repositioning cruise.

I do it for every trip, She matches any OBC I get, or if they have any promotions during that period she will throw them at me

Royal gives you 60 days from booking to transfer to a TA. You keep everything Royal gave you, We booked Monday with Royal to pick up the OBC they were offering for the Memorial day sale, We called the online TA that we use this morning and transferred the booking, all you do is give the TA your reservation number, we picked up matching OBC, a $50 OBC bonus, specialty dining for 1 night, and $100 in lieu of the usual pre paid gratuities. This was for a 2020 repositioning cruise.

TA's do not "match" OBC that you already have. When you transfer to a TA, the reservation does not change in any way as it was before. The TA may add to it is all

How do you find one of these TAs that give perks? We booked our up coming trip through a local TA. We haven't received any added benefit by doing so. We could have done the same on our own.

Word of mouth via your fellow cruisers is a good way.

TA's do not "match" OBC that you already have. When you transfer to a TA, the reservation does not change in any way as it was before. The TA may add to it is all

Are you sure... Maybe the TA has a different definition of the word Match

Hard to copy without giving the ta a plug.

LET'S MAKE A DEAL:

Apply your deposit to a future sailing this week with us and we'll MATCH the Shipboard Credit that Royal Caribbean is giving you so you end up with TWICE the Shipboard Credit on your sailing. Plus all other perks in our offers. New bookings only.

I looked at several TA websites and got some info. I explained it was a transfer and I was only interested in transfering my booking. They sent me offers for my same cruise with OBC but in each of them the "fine print" said it was for new bookings only, not transfers.Not sure why they even bothered putting together offers when it wasn't for transfers. Other websites had fees. Since I am new to using a TA, I am not sure if I pay them for my cruise or I continue to log in and pay on Royal's site. I prefer to pay Royal and make payments. I considered calling around to a local TA or two. If that doesn't work out,I think I might just forget about it for this cruise.

Thank you for everyone who offered their insight.

I looked at several TA websites and got some info. I explained it was a transfer and I was only interested in transfering my booking. They sent me offers for my same cruise with OBC but in each of them the "fine print" said it was for new bookings only, not transfers.Not sure why they even bothered putting together offers when it wasn't for transfers. Other websites had fees. Since I am new to using a TA, I am not sure if I pay them for my cruise or I continue to log in and pay on Royal's site. I prefer to pay Royal and make payments. I considered calling around to a local TA or two. If that doesn't work out,I think I might just forget about it for this cruise.

Thank you for everyone who offered their insight.

If you transfer your booking, you will make payments through the TA.

Are you sure... Maybe the TA has a different definition of the word Match

Hard to copy without giving the ta a plug.

LET'S MAKE A DEAL:

Apply your deposit to a future sailing this week with us and we'll MATCH the Shipboard Credit that Royal Caribbean is giving you so you end up with TWICE the Shipboard Credit on your sailing. Plus all other perks in our offers. New bookings only.

that would be a good deal sometimes

I booked, then transferred my reservation to my TA to help support a local business. When you transfer to a local company, the local agent will receive the commission, That is money they will spend in the local economy.

But why do Travel Agents seem to look at transferred bookings with much less enthusiasm than they have for new bookings? Is there something that we don't know about? I shopped a few TA's about transferring a recent booking and they really had nothing to offer in addition to what we are receiving from the cruise line and almost seemed disdainful.

But why do Travel Agents seem to look at transferred bookings with much less enthusiasm than they have for new bookings? Is there something that we don't know about? I shopped a few TA's about transferring a recent booking and they really had nothing to offer in addition to what we are receiving from the cruise line and almost seemed disdainful.

Depends upon the TA. Some TA only match what you can get from the cruise line. Other TA will match the cruise lines deal and sweeten the pot with an additional 8 to 10+ percent rebate/OBC. You just need to shop around.