No more RCCL :( Looking for a cruise line that cares about customer service!

Who charters a whole cruise ship or am I missing something?

Let's see, people/companies with lots of money, ta's representing groups, etc. Royal has a heading on its website just for this purpose

Thank you, I was wondering about Princess specifically.

It's too bad, but Princess is not immune either - you might read this article on charters here on CC that starts with:

All the arrangements for Daniella Carlesimo's wedding at sea -- from printed invitations to the travel plans of guests -- were in place. Until Princess Cruises notified her that Caribbean Princess had been chartered and she'd have to make new arrangements. The invitations had to be reprinted, travel plans shuffled and the wedding bands -- already been engraved with the date of the wedding -- redone.

Carlesimo, not to mention her fellow passengers on Caribbean Princess, had been bumped.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=340

I know you want to stay in the RCCL price point but if you can swing it try Disney Cruise Line! They have AMAZING customer service and really value your feed back and try to do everything they can to make you happy! Even if you don’t have kids it’s awesome for adults only!

+1 Exactly how I feel based on my cruising experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My Celebrity cruise was cancelled and I got a very small OBC for a future cruise.

I know Crystal gave people wonderful OBCs. In fact when my itinerary for next April was changed we were upgraded one category , given a 600 OBC per person and the cheaper per diem was maintained.

In short you get what you pay for...if you want better service forget rccl and go luxury. That being said after 12 luxury cruises I am back on rccl next week but I totally understand that I will get what I have paid for.

Years ago, we had a Holland America cruise booked one year in advance. It was cancelled 8 weeks before we were to sail. Our vacation time could not be changed so we had to take what was offered at that time. We ended up on an old ship in need of repairs and it actually broke down in Arhaus, Denmark. We laugh about it now and that cruise turned out to be one of our favorites for the ports we visited. No cruise is perfect and you have to roll with the punches.

I personally would not take kids on a Princess or Holland America cruise unless it was a port intensive cruise. Their ships are geared to an older demographic with few activities to interest children or teens.

Sheesh. I’m sorry so many people aren’t being sympathetic. I’m learning quickly that this board has a tough crowd....

I don’t know how ANYONE can argue, given your situation, that you deserved less than a great customer service experience! I too would be really upset and consider alternative cruise lines. Yes, sure, these things can happen...but it’s all in how it’s handled that makes the difference. I’ve never sailed on DCL...but I’ve gone to WDW manyyyyyy times, and their customer service is top notch. I’ve yet to have a poor experience with them- which is why we return frequently.

Did you try to escalate your situation to someone in a higher role? While I understand that they couldn’t keep you on that ship, they should have been far more accommodating and at the minimum offered you FCC or OBC. What if you had booked flights and hotels already? Made other plans connected to this cruise? I’d be annoyed too.

Like I said- I’ve never sailed DCL...but I’d be willing to bet their customer service is excellent.

Good luck!!!

Unfortunately, no main stream cruise line is immune to charters and all at this price point (NCL, Carnival, Celebrity, Holland, Princess, RCCL) have what may be considered "bad customer service" at times. Please try to remember the CS staff are given a script and certain rules/policies to apply and are simply doing their job. It is a difficult job for little pay and most try to perform the job well while dealing with each cruiser's issues and/or complaints all day. Hopefully you can find a replacement cruise and/or line that goes well and you can enjoy a well deserved vacation.

Sheesh. I’m sorry so many people aren’t being sympathetic. I’m learning quickly that this board has a tough crowd....

I don’t know how ANYONE can argue, given your situation, that you deserved less than a great customer service experience! I too would be really upset and consider alternative cruise lines. Yes, sure, these things can happen...but it’s all in how it’s handled that makes the difference. I’ve never sailed on DCL...but I’ve gone to WDW manyyyyyy times, and their customer service is top notch. I’ve yet to have a poor experience with them- which is why we return frequently.

Did you try to escalate your situation to someone in a higher role? While I understand that they couldn’t keep you on that ship, they should have been far more accommodating and at the minimum offered you FCC or OBC. What if you had booked flights and hotels already? Made other plans connected to this cruise? I’d be annoyed too.

Like I said- I’ve never sailed DCL...but I’d be willing to bet their customer service is excellent.

Good luck!!!

What is WDW?

And, not long ago, I'm pretty sure it was RCCL, cancelled a couples wedding. NOT the whole cruise. They cancelled the couple's wedding, the couple and (I think) all of their family/guests on a particular cruise. Apparently the bridezilla or groomzilla were making it apparent that nothing was going to please them and RCCL cut their losses and cancelled them.

This is to show how RCCL's customer service can be severe, if they feel it's necessary.

I am NOT saying the OP did anything rash or outlandish ... except she DID tell RCCL that she will never do business with them again and TO cancel any and all future dealings with RCCL.

I know you want to stay in the RCCL price point but if you can swing it try Disney Cruise Line! They have AMAZING customer service and really value your feed back and try to do everything they can to make you happy! Even if you don’t have kids it’s awesome for adults only!

Thanks! I have heard so many positive things I would love to try it sometime! It may be out of our price range for this trip but I will definitely check into it.

Good luck!!!

Thank you! I truly appreciate your comments and your understanding. And this does seem like it can be a tough crowd :)

As for RC, I've never been nasty with them, and I do understand that these customer service representatives are only doing the job to the best of their ability and within the scope of what they were allowed to do. I did try to escalate, I actually sent a letter and asked for someone in a supervisory role, but I just get more of the same. We actually do already have airfare and a back -end trip that will now cause Transportation issues if we decide to take one of their alternate options. I'm just very frustrated and honestly sad because I've had many great experiences with them and always thought they had great customer service, but it just hasn't been handled right from beginning. I have never asked for anything or expected anything crazy, just an option that will work and for someone to actually listen to my concerns.

I would love to try Disney sometime! I just don't know anything about their ships and what they have to offer since it would be new, and am concerned about cost for this particular trip. I wouldn't worry so much about my husband and myself ( despite this current frustrating situation were generally easy to please and have never had complaints before even though we've had little mishaps on different ships, I understand things happen and nothing is ever perfect. I don't expect perfection!) but our friends are apprehensive as it is and I really want them to have a great experience and to love cruising as much as we do! This was going to be their first real vacation together EVER in their 18 year relationship :( They have stressful and demanding jobs with limited time off that they must request 6 months in advance... So this week was their only option. Of course they left everything up to us to plan, and now we feel bad. It's just a mess.

While I did say I would not be booking any future cruises with them because I was so disappointed in the way they handled this, I didn't tell them to cancel. I asked what the process would be if I chose to, and if it was even possible get at this point since I'm so close to the date. When they reached out to tell me they had cancelled everything (which seemed like an odd thing to do based on one person's question in an email) and I told them I hadn't asked them to cancel but was simply inquiring about the option, I got another tone deaf, scripted response repeating they had cancelled everything. Almost like they had never even read what I wrote. They refunded all but approximately $200.

quote=CruiseGal999;56183391]You TOLD RCCL you have no desire to do business with them and to CANCEL anything you had planned with them. RCCL did so. What is the problem?

You are not the first or last person who has had a cruise cancelled by the Cruise Line in favor of a very lucrative charter. RCCL, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, etc. are ALL FOR profit companies. They are not charities or non-profits.

Did RCCL refund all of your money for the cruise(s) they cancelled? If you are not out any money, take your funds elsewhere and enjoy a cruise.

While I did say I would not be booking any future cruises with them because I was so disappointed in the way they handled this, I didn't tell them to cancel. I asked what the process would be if I chose to, and if it was even possible get at this point since I'm so close to the date. When they reached out to tell me they had cancelled everything (which seemed like an odd thing to do based on one person's question in an email) and I told them I hadn't asked them to cancel but was simply inquiring about the option, I got another tone deaf, scripted response repeating they had cancelled everything. Almost like they had never even read what I wrote. They refunded all but approximately $200.

quote=CruiseGal999;56183391]You TOLD RCCL you have no desire to do business with them and to CANCEL anything you had planned with them. RCCL did so. What is the problem?

You are not the first or last person who has had a cruise cancelled by the Cruise Line in favor of a very lucrative charter. RCCL, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, etc. are ALL FOR profit companies. They are not charities or non-profits.

Did RCCL refund all of your money for the cruise(s) they cancelled? If you are not out any money, take your funds elsewhere and enjoy a cruise.

May I suggest that you email Michael Bayley who is CEO of RCI. His email address is mbayley@rccl.com Explain your situation and the treatment you received. Your email will be directed to someone in his executive office and you should receive a call back. Include your telephone number where you can be reached.

Fortunately this hasn't happened to me but I have learnt from CC that there is always a possibility.

I have had other customer service related issues with RC. Same with other cruise lines. On balance, I am still happy to sail with RC. If there is a major mishap, I have found Crown and Anchor helpful to get it resolved. That to me is a big benefit.

Thank you, I was wondering about Princess specifically.

We have over 400 nights with RCCL. Once our preferred line. We now prefer Princess. We did one Princess along time ago with them, and that was not the right dynamics back then. We tried them again and moved up to elite and did a 94 day world cruise. We love the absence of the belly flop contest etc. with that said, we are boarding Oasis on Father's Day with 2 grandkids in tow... All diamond kids and cruising since they were 2.... Their preferred ship the merry go round. If you do Princess I would recommend doing Regal or Royal as your first. Nothing wrong with the others ship (love the Pacific Princess with 600 passengers), but like all cruise lines the newer ships have newer offerings.

Back to the original canceled cruise due to the charter - have you looked at other cruiselines sailing out of the same port and time. If you were to leave from a large port (Fort Lauderdale or Miami) there are many ships and cruiselines there. Then your travel arrangements should still work. I don’t believe we’ve been given enough info to really help you yet.

Sorry about the other mixup, but it was probably just a misunderstanding of what you were asking about. Mistakes do happen.

As everyone has said, this happens often with all lines, especially the cheaper ones, but I expect some compensation when you allow someone to charter my cruise and I understand you being upset.

Good luck finding another vacation without so much as a couple hundred OBC would set me to bashing a cruise line on all social media for the rest of my years. They must offer some compensation. Something at the same port is often impossible as a line like Royal Caribbean usually only has a boat per port. They have to understand the inconvenience. Depending on how close the cruise is, I also may be out hundreds in airfare or hotel accommodations.

What do/did you tell your son/daughter when she/he say/said, "everyone else does it"?

I don’t have kids.

All cruise lines cancel sailings and take charters. So, quitting RCI because they cancelled your sailing is fine. We are all allowed to spend money however we want, but if you like RCI and say the flowrider, good luck finding another option. :evilsmile:

All cruise lines cancel, so taking RCI off the choice list seems like punishing yourself if you like the product and gaining absolutely nothing, because you booking your cruise with Princess will not affect RCI or any other cruiseline in any way. :confused:

Is that so hard to say, or do you just think that logic is optional?

JC

My recommendation is to try Princess or Carnival or NCL.

NCL charters cruises and has the same standard compensation as RCL. When booking cruises, do your homework and research past charters, and don’t book non refundable air and hotels more than 6 months in advance. Oh, and don’t go on a tirade on a minimum wage call center employee...

Great info, thank you!

We have over 400 nights with RCCL. Once our preferred line. We now prefer Princess. We did one Princess along time ago with them, and that was not the right dynamics back then. We tried them again and moved up to elite and did a 94 day world cruise. We love the absence of the belly flop contest etc. with that said, we are boarding Oasis on Father's Day with 2 grandkids in tow... All diamond kids and cruising since they were 2.... Their preferred ship the merry go round. If you do Princess I would recommend doing Regal or Royal as your first. Nothing wrong with the others ship (love the Pacific Princess with 600 passengers), but like all cruise lines the newer ships have newer offerings.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. Actually on our last cruise our cabin attendant was the sweetest woman, and I was talking to her and I asked her about her job and if she liked it and she started to cry and shook her head no :( It broke my heart.

So true! If you think my company sucks from your perspective, you should try working for them a while!

Good tip on the research, thanks -- I honestly never knew they would do this. And I wouldn't go on a tirade, this was all written except when I initially called to ask what was going on, and I was nice ;) I know this is not their fault personally.

NCL charters cruises and has the same standard compensation as RCL. When booking cruises, do your homework and research past charters, and don’t book non refundable air and hotels more than 6 months in advance. Oh, and don’t go on a tirade on a minimum wage call center employee...