What is an "Interior Porthole"?

DaveNetMan

Looking at cabin selections for the Carnival Magic, noticed it list "interior porthole' cabin. How does that work? My wife jokingly said do we get to look at the cabin next to ours? LOL

Should be a cabin with 2 basketball sized porthole windows looking out towards the ocean. Usually referred to as an "interior" porthole because it falls in the interior category and is therefore priced cheaper than an ocean view, balcony, etc. If you can deal with being on deck 1 or 2, and don't mind being all the way forward on the ship, it's a great value room.

Should be a cabin with 2 basketball sized porthole windows looking out towards the ocean. Usually referred to as an "interior" porthole because it falls in the interior category and is therefore priced cheaper than an ocean view, balcony, etc. If you can deal with being on deck 1 or 2, and don't mind being all the way forward on the ship, it's a great value room.

Just a minor correction. There are no passenger cabins on Deck 1.

I realize that. OP is inquiring about a Dream class ship, the Magic.

Apparently you quoted my post before I edited it.

I wasn't referring to the OP. I threw this out there because maybe beachbum53 got the different ship classes confused.

I get the oxymoron. I think the reason Carnival calls it this is to keep people from complaining. I am sure if they called it an outside view porthole you would get people throwing a fit that it’s smaller than the regular outside window. This naming convention makes the portholes into a bonus rather than a liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We love the porthole rooms and book them as often as we can. Great value.

So do we. We had a PH on our last cruise and have booked one on our upcoming cruise. To me, they provide the benefits of an OV (Natural light) at a significant savings.

The room looks like this:

portholes-breeze-1219.jpg?w=640&h=480

Can you see anything out of the window? Or does the thickness of the Hull prevent you from Seeing out?

My first carnival cruise we had one of these, but I don’t remember and I have one booked for my kids in an upcoming cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You just have to remember to close the windows before you go to sleep.

I have been in an upper/lower porthole cabin on deck 1 on the Triumph twice, and I have never been asked to close the covers at night. My stewards never closed them either.

I have been in an upper/lower porthole cabin on deck 1 on the Triumph twice, and I have never been asked to close the covers at night. My stewards never closed them either.
That request is usually only made if you're in a 4J, which is in the very front of the ship.

Just a minor correction. There are no passenger cabins on Deck 1.
A minor correction to your minor correction. You are correct with regards to the 8 Fantasy Class ships in the fleet, where the Riviera Deck is indeed deck #4. But the other 18 ships in the fleet all have their Riviera Decks numbered #1.

Also be aware that some porthole cabins are configured so you cannot have a king bed. Some are upper/lower bunks and some have a twin bed with a sofa that makes into a bed, which is what my friend had.

Also-also be aware that, as with any cabin that is low and located forward, if the ship is encountering heavy swells (waves), you may hear some noise (like a rhythmic pounding) from the ship's cutwater at the bow, as it plows into heavy seas.

I've booked an Upper/Lower Interior with porthole on Carnival Splendor. The ones that fall under the Upper/Lower category have two separate beds, either an upper/lower bunk bed situation OR a twin and a sofa bed set up. I understand there is a separate porthole category that does have a king bed set up.

Mine is 2212 right at the front, and from my research the downsides are the noise of the waves crashing against the bow of the ship in rough seas, a lot of movement, and very noisy anchor dropping when arriving in port. None of these things bother me personally, but may bother others. I'll be solo on this cruise, so this cabin is perfect and priced right for me.

I found some videos on YouTube and you can see clearly out of the portholes.