Anyone Worried About Edge Advanced Technology With The Continued X Website Issues?

vtcruising

From a news release:

"When designing the automation Celebrity took pains to keep things simple. Lighting levels, temperatures and shade adjustments are grouped into “themes and moods” based on common guest activities within the suite. For example, a guest can select a “movie mood” to draw the shades and turn down the lights to watch a movie on the suite’s TV without distractions. (As another part of the Excalibur initiative, guests will be able to stream their content to the TV, either content stored locally on their device or from popular streaming services.) Afterward, an “evening view” mode opens the drapes but keeps the lighting dim to highlight the sunset.

The stateroom also incorporates voice controls. A Celebrity Cruises representative was able to turn out all the lights in the room by saying “Computer, good night.” Saying “Computer, good morning” turned several of them back on.

With the issues that have happened with Alexa, I am a little nervous about having voice commands in my cabin. Who knows what I might do by mistake. ;)

I know it has been discussed some before, but the recent X website debacle (many are having issues and it feels like they didn't work out all the bugs before going live) has made me a bit more cynical about pulling all of this off. I can only hope that the Excalibur system (and its IT experts) is totally independent from X Website IT department. Anyone have any knowledge about that company (they are working with Royal as well)?

Fingers crossed that snoring and talking in our sleep doesn't turn on the lights and TV and open the shades in the middle of the night. ;) I am being a bit facetious, but with the continued issues with their IT department, it has made me wonder if the bugs will be worked out by December. Oh well, I guess we can opt for the non-tech route, if things go awry.

v - I would not worry. As we all know, if any tech goes awry hopefully there are work arounds unlike a recent power outage which crippled several local stores here because they do/did not have any backup procedure to accept payment for goods and services...

Always expect some glitch, but very very very happy when none happens!

bon voyage and see you aboard soon, I trust.

v - I would not worry. As we all know, if any tech goes awry hopefully there are work arounds unlike a recent power outage which crippled several local stores here because they do/did not have any backup procedure to accept payment for goods and services...

Always expect some glitch, but very very very happy when none happens!

bon voyage and see you aboard soon, I trust.

Bo, of course you are right. I am excited about the technology, if it works well. I’ll bet we will have some interesting stories on here about glitches. [emoji2]

vt- I think they are entirely unrelated. Web site upgrade was contracted to Accenture according to press releases. Technology on board is designed, implemented and validated by engineering contractors probably employed or contracted by the shipyard.

vt- I think they are entirely unrelated. Web site upgrade was contracted to Accenture according to press releases. Technology on board is designed, implemented and validated by engineering contractors probably employed or contracted by the shipyard.

That’s what I was hoping to hear!

Bo, of course you are right. I am excited about the technology, if it works well. I’ll bet we will have some interesting stories on here about glitches. [emoji2]

LOL, a sticky all unto itself!

Hopefully without too many overlaps... LOL

bon voyage and remember, alt-ctl-del a few times is a handy reboot feature... :cool:

Just finished reading Dan Brown's "Origin"..and I am not afraid! Maybe I should be???

As usual, we will avoid any Modern Luxury hi tech enhancements that we deem superfluos.. ..unless they are forced upon us or they actually accomplish sonething we cant do on our own..

I'm pretty sure we know how to open and close shades, dim lights, set temp in cabin etc.. we do not need to stream anything to our tv.. and will never say Good night to a machine!

For those who love this stuff...that's great , hope they enjoy all the "Modern Luxury".

We cruise for the sea and sky, beaches and palm trees...and some nice meals and social events on board! And of course, the SPA!

Edited by hcat

As usual, we will avoid any Modern Luxury hi tech enhancements that we deem superfluos.. ..unless they are forced upon us or they actually accomplish sonething we cant do on our own..

I'm pretty sure we know how to open and close shades, dim lights, set temp in cabin etc.. we do not need to stream anything to our tv.. and will never say Good night to a machine!

For those who love this stuff...that's great , hope they enjoy all the "Modern Luxury".

We cruise for the sea and sky, beaches and palm trees...and some nice meals and social events on board! And of course, the SPA!

Too funny! Love your attitude! :D

Just finished reading Dan Brown's "Origin"..and I am not afraid! Maybe I should be???

h - you make is sound like a great Star Trek Holodeck situation... LOL

I cannot wait...

bon voyage

I am not afraid of the technology but predict after a couple of years the toys won’t work. Saw this years ago when Century was launched with all the latest, up to date state of the art technology from Sony. Even had a Sony store. Much of the stuff didn’t work in a couple of years.

On our last Connie cruise, the key cards kept failing..Long lines to have them redone...esp on port days b/c they were needed to leave the ship...

Eventually was blamed on the staff member in charge of key card programming...,If you can't blame the computers, it's operator/ user/ programmer error!

hcat- looking forward to reading Origins now. Celebrity might be "continuously improving" to attract the cruise passenger of the future. Demographics rules! Younger folks embrace all of this technology. They will love Edge and perhaps feel it is still even a couple of steps behind. Electronics and multi-tasking is a way of life with my son and daughter since they were little kids. Older folks like me (and many of us sailing on Celebrity) are still somewhat hesitant about new technologies. Not to say we are not competent but some of it does not necessarily come naturally. Yes a great cruise might be to just sit and watch the ocean with drink and book in hand! I hate e-readers and still insist on real books!

I am not afraid of the technology but predict after a couple of years the toys won’t work. Saw this years ago when Century was launched with all the latest, up to date state of the art technology from Sony. Even had a Sony store. Much of the stuff didn’t work in a couple of years.

My understanding is that if you put your key card next to your cellphone or anything magnetic, it can erase stuff on the card.

My understanding is that if you put your key card next to your cellphone or anything magnetic, it can erase stuff on the card.

On our last cruise my sister’s key card had to be replaced several times a day. :eek:....and it was never near her cellphone, iPad or anything magnetic....at least that she was aware of. Once we left the room (and because she had had such issues) and she checked the card before leaving. We got to the elevator and she remembered she left something in the room, so went back...only to find that it didn’t work!!

This is what I expect from X’s website....not onboard. If it can happen to a key card, it can happen to the techie stuff. Count me in as a low-tech consumer (even though I made my living in technology - so maybe I now better!)

hcat- looking forward to reading Origins now. Celebrity might be "continuously improving" to attract the cruise passenger of the future. Demographics rules! Younger folks embrace all of this technology. They will love Edge and perhaps feel it is still even a couple of steps behind. Electronics and multi-tasking is a way of life with my son and daughter since they were little kids. Older folks like me (and many of us sailing on Celebrity) are still somewhat hesitant about new technologies. Not to say we are not competent but some of it does not necessarily come naturally. Yes a great cruise might be to just sit and watch the ocean with drink and book in hand! I hate e-readers and still insist on real books!

Yup..I agree..The popularity of The Petit chef astounds me. But it is apparently a huge hit..more for the projection than the food from what I read..

I enjoy my smart phone, tablet with downloaded books, tv remote e music., etc and the many benefits of computers

.For us, they are merely tools rather than events unto themselves ..I can thankfully still open a window the old fashioned way..!

Anyhow..hope it all works ok

Worried about the new Edge technology? Absolutely not.

Website programming problems have nothing to do with the ship, period.

We will be boarding the ship with no expectations. From everything we have seen so far, the Edge will be another wonderful and definitely unique addition to the X fleet. Can’t wait..!

I was driving my daughter to the airport and noticed the sign to the parking garage read “Turn eft”. I realized it should have read “Turn Left”. I told my daughter I was worried her airplane would have electronic issues and didn’t want her to fly out.....she told me I needed to either give up the Irish or quit reading those Dan Brown novels, and that she knew I was coming up with another excuse for her to stay home longer.

We love conspiracy stores and get wrapped up in them after watching so many TV and movies on deeply hidden realities and so on, but Iife isn’t really that way. But then again, remember, even paranoics may have someone trying to kill them!!

Den

Guess no one proofread the sign text!

The latest novel is typical Dan Brown in many ways but the aspect I was relating to was about technology..,, but I can't give away the plot!

Food for thought however...

And I am sure everyone will play with and have fun with all the tech stuff onboard...

...As usual, we will avoid any Modern Luxury hi tech enhancements that we deem superfluous.. ..unless they are forced upon us or they actually accomplish something we cant do on our own..

I'm pretty sure we know how to open and close shades, dim lights, set temp in cabin etc.. we do not need to stream anything to our tv.. and will never say Good night to a machine!....

......Older folks like me (and many of us sailing on Celebrity) are still somewhat hesitant about new technologies. Not to say we are not competent but some of it does not necessarily come naturally....

....I can thankfully still open a window the old fashioned way..!.....

I have seen kids trying to use a rotary dial telephone in a museum of past technology in my area. They push the white number label underneath the hole in the rotary dial and are puzzled why it doesn't work! They have no idea the dial needs to be rotated - hence the name "rotary telephone". :)

I take advantage of technology when it benefits me. If it doesn't, I pass it by.

One thing I have experienced is the increased failure rate of the higher tech devices I own over the older tech devices they have replaced. This includes smart thermostats that constantly get confused (never had that problem with my old dial thermostat), a high efficiency A/C system that is so complicated that it took weeks to get the maximum efficiency adjustments right (the old one had two adjustments - off or on), to a high end smartphone that had battery swelling issues prying the back panel off the phone after less than a year (my old flip phone lasted five years before I decided to replace it to get newer features). With so much complexity to high tech devices there is so much more to go wrong with them over time. Longevity or durability is not their strong suit.

Some times older tech is the better solution long term.

Edited by sloopsailor

Love the phone story...

Good tech... recent discovery of a neutron star outside our galaxy. Barely covered in the news.

Silly tech... covered big time on local news...Over 100 new emojis being released ( when words are not enough)!

I think some of the X tech may be in the latter category..Do I need the handwashing video on a 2nd grade level or a video of a lobster climbing into my plate???

I do think that the technology is ‘fun’ and do believe that it will attract the younger generation. Toys and gadgets are the future - have been for a long. “My” generation saw a huge jump in technology....I heard a speaker say that if you were to take the computing power on your smart watch and transform it to vacuum tubes....that it would take 4 Nimitz class aircraft carriers to hold it all!

Yes, the more complicated something is, the more inclined it is to break....and when it does, you can’t just replace what is broken, since everything is all one piece. BUT.....(for the most part) ...most components are pretty reliable. Will there be a hiccup or two, yes. Will they fix it...yes.

The website is another story....