tips

So I'm guessing USA is not the only country with a tipping culture.

I seem to have read that 75% of Royals customers are North American

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Canada's tipping culture is very similar to ours, hence the reason I used Toronto as an example as opposed to two US cities. What do you know, we actually agree on something :)

Fair enough. Now, how do you know that the crew doesn't consider the current situation to be a fair wage?

Note: your or my personal preferences on the correct method of how the crew should be compensated are irrelevant. That's between the line and the crew.

Please allow me to be clear on this!

The auto gratuity is not being used as a tip. It is being used as a wage supplement - front line service staff can receive further supplementation via personal tips for good service.

My problem is, this somewhat absolves the cruise company from guaranteeing a wage.

Further, the company collects these gratuities and distributes them as it sees fit. Who ensures that every cent taken from customers as a gratuity finds it's way to the crew? What stops the company from saying 10% removed auto gratuities when really only 7% actually did.

"Sorry back room laundry assistant, you only get $70 instead of $100 this cruise. If only those passengers all paid their auto gratuities!" - 'I know, curse those mean, stingy @×#×_%'

"Sorry MDR waiter, you only get $90 instead of $120 this cruise. If only those passengers all paid their auto gratuities!" - 'That's OK, I made extra tips of $50 off table 3 and $90 off table 4 anyway!

Now do you see my problem! It's not the tipping culture, it's the cruise line using the customers to create variable payments and potentially using removal of auto gratuities as the excuse.

Cheers

The auto gratuity is not being used as a tip. It is being used as a wage supplement - front line service staff can receive further supplementation via personal tips for good service.

My problem is, this somewhat absolves the cruise company from guaranteeing a wage.

Further, the company collects these gratuities and distributes them as it sees fit. Who ensures that every cent taken from customers as a gratuity finds it's way to the crew? What stops the company from saying 10% removed auto gratuities when really only 7% actually did.

"Sorry back room laundry assistant, you only get $70 instead of $100 this cruise. If only those passengers all paid their auto gratuities!" - 'I know, curse those mean, stingy @×#×_%'

"Sorry MDR waiter, you only get $90 instead of $120 this cruise. If only those passengers all paid their auto gratuities!" - 'That's OK, I made extra tips of $50 off table 3 and $90 off table 4 anyway!

Now do you see my problem! It's not the tipping culture, it's the cruise line using the customers to create variable payments and potentially using removal of auto gratuities as the excuse.

Cheers

Interesting thought.

I think the only winners in any scenario where tipping is involved is the Employer. As the customers pays what he thinks is fair which may not be what the employees would all feel is fair or vica versa. Meanwhile the Employer is making money at both of their expense.

Cheers

This is kind of exactly what is happening today!

Only they do not need false excuses as they have their own fomular to determine who gets what from the bonus-pot.....the way THEY want to give the money away!:rolleyes:

Cheers

Absolutely agree with this. The current system smacks of the days when the nobility tossed coins at the feet of the lower classes! What is wrong with a fair system where the staff know what they are going to be paid, and the customers know what they have paid for? We can then enjoy our holiday knowing no one behind the scenes is being disadvantaged in any way, and we can give tips as we wish, knowing that these are a little bonus and a thank you, rather than part of the staff wages.

I presume that those who would object to this are those who like to be seen as generous tippers, but in reality all they are doing is paying what they owe. Unlike those of us in non-tipping cultures, where we recognise the benefits of guaranteed earnings, and often find the atmosphere where staff are almost grovelling for their pay to be both uncomfortable and unpleasant.

Do you have a problem with a part of your cruise fare being used to pay the wages of the crew?

The cruise line does guarantee a certain wage as stipulated in the crew contract. Why do you have a problem with supplementing that guaranteed wage?

Suppose a cruise line puts out a press release saying they are doing away with auto gratuities and will up the cruise fare to make up the difference to the crew.

How do you know that 100% of the increase in the fare will go to the crew? What keeps the cruise line from keeping half of the increase?

Cheers

No, what I see is someone who thinks their personal distaste for tipping overshadows what the crew prefers or what is best for the crew.

Sorry you did not understand my reference (your opinions) to your message; since I included it in my message, I made the assumption. I will try to make my language at a level you can understand though I do not know what level you are at.

Royal is an American global cruise line, based in the USA (United States of America). It follows the USA laws and social norms no matter where their customers are from (what country) or their demographics (ethnicity and culture). The business is all based on the USA norms (normal social behaviors). Just because you do not agree with this cultural behavior, doesn’t make it wrong. As you indicated, there are other cruise lines around the world you can take.

You are incorrect, there is not only one country in the world that has a tipping culture; there are others. In my perception the largest tipping protest group comes from Britain, really only a small portion of cruisers in the world. We tipped in London, all of the time. I have friends that are Brits and they indicated that is done in the restaurants and pubs there (UK).

You indicated (on one of previous posts) that Brits are polite yet you disrespect other cultural norms; not really polite.

Safe sailing!

Your patronising tone is appreciated thank you. This is a familiar thing with messageboards, people post opinions in good faith and if someone disagrees with them they speak to them in a manner quite unbefitting of their actual personality and certainly not how they would speak to them face to face. I hope you find it all empowering.

Oh, and if you think tipping is normal in British pubs, someone is taking advantage of your nature.

To the point, global businesses react to customer pressure and numbers, and as RCI is quickly learning, especially in Oceania and Asia, tipping is far from normal and it will end. I hope it is sooner than later.

First I got addicted to cruise holidays. Then I got addicted to CC. Now I am addicted to tipping threads although lurking is more fun than participating these days.

BTW made a personal note. Do not enter into a conversation with strangers about tipping while on a cruise. Politely walk away, run if you need to.

Cheers

That is exactly how this thread evolved until a couple of Americans began shouting at everyone quite loudly that their way is right, even though a tiny proportion of the world uses the tips and gratuity system

For what it's worth, cruise lines do seem to be adapting to an international customer base - it's slow, but even massive companies move with the times eventually

BTW made a personal note. Do not enter into a conversation with strangers about tipping while on a cruise. Politely walk away, run if you need to.

I think your from the UK as well so I will just add avoid ‘Brexit’ as well.

Nearly caused a riot answering a question from a curious American chap in Boleros on Oasis about 18 months ago [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cheers

Very well said.