tips

Hey I'm not here to fight with you on this, we just differ on our opinions and I didn't mean to jump back at you.

I agree it would cost more but it's why I posted their profit margins in the first place. With the right marketing they (RCL) could advertise "tip free sailing dates" and try it as an experiment to see if they generate more business by eating into their profit margin slightly if they book more rooms then it would be a win win (assuming they actually paid their staff more).

Sure, they can advertise "tip free sailing dates".

I can see two options:

They could add $14.5/17.5 PPPD to the advertised fare and say 'no tipping'.

They could keep the current fares and advertise dates where tipping is discouraged thus saving the passenger $14.50/17.5 PPPD.

Which did you have in mind?

I think that this is the way of the world because of on line searches looking for the best bottom line. I know that in Las Vegas room prices quoted can double with the addition of required resort fees... sometimes more than $40 per day.

When you do an on line search you are comparing the base price of different rooms without resort fees that may vary a lot. You get blind sided at check in.

If cruise lines showed the suggested tips as part of the price per person it would reflect the true higher price of the cruise. Tips to me are a hidden fee that needs to be paid to make up part of the crews salary. Certainly no union would put up with this practice and many higher end cruise lines do not add tips because they pay their people directly.

This is just a soap box opinion about hidden charges overall. I do always pay at least the suggested tips and more because it is salary, not tips, in my opinion.

Well said. Again for the "haters" I have no problem tipping, I'm quite generous, I just wish you could tip everyone directly. I realize there are lots of "others" that you never see that make your cruise fantastic I just do not like the fact that the cruise line plays "middle man" with these people's tips. It leaves too much room for the cruise line to screw over their employees.

Totally dissagree - crew is interchangable and does not make much of a difference to us - it is the ships and their features that count!(y)

When you book a cruise you look at the ships features and have no visibility of the crew involved!

Ah but that choice of ship is based on an expectation that the service is of a consistently high standard. In 90% of reviews it is the assessment of service that stands out with individuals named.

When was the last time you 'tipped' the ship for having outstanding features? You didn't because it has been built into the price!

Cheers

Well said. Again for the "haters" I have no problem tipping, I'm quite generous, I just wish you could tip everyone directly. I realize there are lots of "others" that you never see that make your cruise fantastic I just do not like the fact that the cruise line plays "middle man" with these people's tips. It leaves too much room for the cruise line to screw over their employees.

Two points:

First, tipping directly isn't a problem. Just leave the standard gratuities in place and "generously" give additional tips directly to those who have served you directly.

Second, the cruise line must treat it's crew well. If it were "screwing over" the employees, there would be a shortage of crew.

When was the last time you 'tipped' the ship for having outstanding features? You didn't because it has been built into the price!

Cheers

But there are plenty of ships that I chose not to book based on their features or lack of.

But there are plenty of ships that I chose not to book based on their features or lack of.
Yes thats likely true for many people!

And plenty of people who choose not to book a cruise line or ship due to the attitude of staff or lack of customer service.

Cheers

Many may feel that the service RCI provides does not warant a tip anymore!

Isn't most service you get at RCI just very basic and uninspired?!:confused:

See:

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/tipping-while-traveling-shouldnt-be-a-given.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=

No. It meets both my needs and wants quite well.

You are one of the rudest and highly opinionated people posting on CC, and yet you talk of personal attacks!

Just a reminder of one of your own personal attacks

"Honey do you even know what a foodie is?" Wouldn't want to be your honey or eat with you.

Totally agree with you.

I agree,it tends to be tipping threads from all cruise lines which are controversial and most ither threads offer good advice.

I agree with you. Some subjects get people excited and perhaps they act out of character.

I learn so much from the info shared on these boards.

I don't disagree with what you said but there are so many aspects to this issue. How about the people working the specialty restaurants? Their income depends on people eating there as the gratuity is added onto the price of the restaurant. Should people feel some obligation to eat in the upcharge places so that these people will make a living too? Those servers count on people being there just as the servers in the MDR do.

As I said, I don't disagree with you but the issue has become much more complicate with the addition of dining venues and choices. And even if the answer is to just leave the auto gratuities in place, that doesn't address the issue of the folks working the specialty restaurants. Do you not add gratuity to the price but have these folks receive part of the auto grats? That doesn't seem right as the vast majority of passengers, I believe, never set foot into one of the upcharge venues.

Understood. However to answer your question about Specialty Dining... first, the original understanding was that the upcharge covered the tip. Now they add 18%, so a tip is factored in. However one other point. I can't say for all ships, but at least on the smaller ships the Specialty dining staff also worked other venues during the day. We had a particularly nice waiter in Chops on Legend of the Seas a few years ago. He also worked the Park Cafe every morning. So, presumably, that means he probably also shared in some of the standard tip. No one really knows for sure. My only comment is that when a ship is full, and a large group, for example, decides to only do specialty dining and, therefore, removes the MDR dining staff tips, those waiters do not get paid a full "salary" for that cruise. It isn't the fault of the wait staff. But there are no additional patrons to fill those empty seats. Just want to point that potential out.

Mmmmm.....don't agree with most of your opinions, however, no failures here.

When purchasing a USA product it is the expectation that the business and social norms be respected, as it is in reverse. I deal with international business and law all of the time.

Yes, cruising is an international vacation but when it is purchased from a USA company, the business and social norms do not change even though it may start in an OUS port.

When the people from outside of the USA have chosen a USA cruise line, they know this so the expectation is to follow the norms. Just as it is expected in all countries globally.

It is a cultural norm in the USA really; IMHO it is about cultural acceptance.

Questions: how do OUS cruise lines charge for their service charges? If it is included in the upfront cost, what difference does it make when it is paid?

Safe sailing!! :)

Interested that you disagree with most of my opinions - have we met?

As for the US cruise line thing, it appears you are adding some ambiguity to back your case.

Cruise ships (for very helpful tax avoidance reasons) are based in all sorts of countries and all sorts of internationals funds, bodies and companies own shares in major corporations. To claim Royal is an American company is stretching it a bit. Especially as many of the cruises are from overseas ports with mostly passengers from that country.

There are 196 countries in the World, including one that has a tipping culture - the very fact that there are so many tip threads throughout Cruise Critic suggests it is very much the cruise industry that have it wrong, irrespective of the amount of US people that back their own culture in teh face of such opposition

Perhaps you can direct me to the posts where a specific price increase was mentioned??

A statement to incorporate the service charge into the cruise fare is ambiguous at best.

BTW, the cruise line is under no obligation to cater to those other 66 nationalities. The 66 nationalities do have an obligation to adapt to the stated rules including the service charge.

To answer all four points:

1. I was answering a question. If you read the thread you will find your answer.

2. Why is it ambiguous - every other country in the world appears to provide goods and services at a set price.

3. And people do adapt t the cruise lines rules, which is what creates debates such as these, which very much suggests the cruise lines have it wrong.

Glad to help

To answer all four points:

1. I was answering a question. If you read the thread you will find your answer.

2. Why is it ambiguous - every other country in the world appears to provide goods and services at a set price.

3. And people do adapt t the cruise lines rules, which is what creates debates such as these, which very much suggests the cruise lines have it wrong.

Glad to help

1. I've read the thread and I can find no mention of a specific amount to increase the fare to cover the gratuities/service charge.

2. A statement to include the gratuities/service charge into the fare is ambiguous unless it includes a specific amount to increase the fare.

3. And people do adapt to the cruise lines rules, which is what creates debates such as these, which very much suggests that you have it wrong.

You see, you have fallen into the trap of thinking your culture is the 'correct one'

The US is fairly unique in the world when it comes to a dominant tipping culture - in the UK, we tip in restaurants but not for [example] someone holding open a door in a hotel! Cruise from Australia and you will see giant queues of people getting their 'tips' back

Gratuities on ships is an 'extra' payment on all bookings - include it as part of the bill and Japanese guests (another example), who don't tip for anything in their culture, will not be confused

There is no right or wrong culture. When I travel to a new country I adapt and respect the traditions of that culture. If you choose to do business with an american company out of an american port respect the culture or take your business elsewhere. Quite simple. It is not forced to any of us to like the traditions of other cultures. If we choose to visit other places and other cultures we are all smart to adapt to them for the duration of our visits.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Thanks Bob. I don't mind tipping but I don't like giving up control who I think deserves my tips either. I grew up in a time when you earned your tip before it was paid.

If you have bad service by someone, say your dining crew, you can go to the service desk and have them removed or it lowered for just them, toward the end of your cruise. I know Carnival splits theirs up, steward and helpers, dining staff, and then pieces goes to ones such as staff in the buffet, laundry, cleaning staff (ones that pick up trash, dishes, etc left by guests, sweeps etc. ones that do not get a slice is room service . I always leave my tip, but I keep in mind I can remove it for a bad or rude steward or dining staff, which I have never had yet. One below the usual above and beyond I usually get, but no one bad or rude.

Edited by Xgoldmoon
Left something out

There is no right or wrong culture. When I travel to a new country I adapt and respect the traditions of that culture. If you choose to do business with an american company out of an american port respect the culture or take your business elsewhere. Quite simple. It is not forced to any of us to like the traditions of other cultures. If we choose to visit other places and other cultures we are all smart to adapt to them for the duration of our visits.

Totally agree.

Interested that you disagree with most of my opinions - have we met?

As for the US cruise line thing, it appears you are adding some ambiguity to back your case.

Cruise ships (for very helpful tax avoidance reasons) are based in all sorts of countries and all sorts of internationals funds, bodies and companies own shares in major corporations. To claim Royal is an American company is stretching it a bit. Especially as many of the cruises are from overseas ports with mostly passengers from that country.

There are 196 countries in the World, including one that has a tipping culture - the very fact that there are so many tip threads throughout Cruise Critic suggests it is very much the cruise industry that have it wrong, irrespective of the amount of US people that back their own culture in teh face of such opposition

Sorry you did not understand my reference (your opinions) to your message; since I included it in my message, I made the assumption. I will try to make my language at a level you can understand though I do not know what level you are at.

Royal is an American global cruise line, based in the USA (United States of America). It follows the USA laws and social norms no matter where their customers are from (what country) or their demographics (ethnicity and culture). The business is all based on the USA norms (normal social behaviors). Just because you do not agree with this cultural behavior, doesn’t make it wrong. As you indicated, there are other cruise lines around the world you can take.

You are incorrect, there is not only one country in the world that has a tipping culture; there are others. In my perception the largest tipping protest group comes from Britain, really only a small portion of cruisers in the world. We tipped in London, all of the time. I have friends that are Brits and they indicated that is done in the restaurants and pubs there (UK).

You indicated (on one of previous posts) that Brits are polite yet you disrespect other cultural norms; not really polite.

Safe sailing!

Well the whole discussion is MOOT - RCI generally allows tips to be removed - no questions asked - .....so everybody has a choice and can choose what they want to do.(y)

No need to discuss cultural BS:rolleyes:

Fixed that for you.

So if I'm sailing from the UK on a ship registered in Liberia which rule should I follow?