Why Miami?

RCL didn’t cruise out of Port Everglades prior to 2009 when Oasis was launch

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is probably because Royal Caribbean didn't have a ship based in Port Everglades prior to the Oasis OTS.

On our Freedom cruise in March the employee at the Next Cruise desk said the contract with Port Everglades was up and it wasn’t being renewed. I assume from that RCI was choosing not to renew but I could be wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find that the people at Next Cruise are often the least informed of all RC employees.

On the Grandeur this spring, one of the staff there assured me that every cabin on the ship has a refrigerator.

Uh, no. All of the interior cabins and all of the oceanview cabins (except the 16 new Panoramic view OV cabins) do NOT have refrigerators.

Hey, I'm not a Floridian. I'm just repeating what A LOT of people have told me. These are people coming from a distance and Fort Lauderdale is about their limit.
We sailed from Miami once. Headed down on a Thursday afternoon and the traffic was insane. Once we got to Miami it was even worse. Thankfully my husband drove because I think my head would have exploded trying to navigate over the bridge.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

30-40 Years ago Miami was THE Cruise Port. First 15 yrs cruising Royal only went out of Miami, last 16 not once. Then I've seen pictures of 10/11 cruise ships in Miami on same day from the 1970's..
Ships were substantially smaller

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We flew into Fort Lauderdale on 4/22/18 had a hour and 35 drive accident. I 95 can be bad at anytime

How was your april cruise? Will be on allure on oct 21 out of port everglades.

I agree fll to port everglades is closer than mia to port of miami. Also traffic is worse from mia to pom. More to do near port of miami than everglades. But the hotels near pom are not cruise friendly like someone else mentioned.

i will go where the ships sail out of.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

What and why the big push to change all the cruises from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami? I know they didn’t ask me or the rest of the cruising world.

Do you have tax concessions to hand out?

Hey, I'm not a Floridian. I'm just repeating what A LOT of people have told me. These are people coming from a distance and Fort Lauderdale is about their limit.

Why is Fort Lauderdale their limit but Miami not doable? It's about 30 (without traffic) between the two ports.

Why is Fort Lauderdale their limit but Miami not doable? It's about 30 (without traffic) between the two ports.
Just because.

FWIW, every time I drive to either Tampa or PE, I start questioning that decision about an hour into the trip.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Because it's 30 miles of nothing but traffic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Depends on day, accidents, weather. Can make it in 20 minutes, or it can take 2 hours. But if you are coming from far away I find it hard to believe that's the make or break for a cruise. People really are something else...

Because it's 30 miles of nothing but traffic.

You could also get stuck in traffic north of PE. Again, on a Sunday morning trying to catch an Oasis class ship out of the new terminal in Miami, you are unlikely to hit much traffic.

On a Sunday morning, you won't hit any traffic. The roads are empty. I find this thread actually a bit funny. I don't know why anyone would care one way or another if they sail out of PE or PM. It's barely 30 minutes difference. PortMiami even built the new tunnel, it's straight highway right in to the port now.

If you like staying the night before in Fort Lauderdale, then continue to stay the night before in Fort Lauderdale and make the short drive to Miami for your cruise.

I don't know any cruises that have boarding during rush hour. There is no disruptive traffic going in to Miami after 9:30 - 10AM, even on a weekday.

How was your april cruise? Will be on allure on oct 21 out of port everglades.

I agree fll to port everglades is closer than mia to port of miami. Also traffic is worse from mia to pom. More to do near port of miami than everglades. But the hotels near pom are not cruise friendly like someone else mentioned.

i will go where the ships sail out of.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

We tried out Celebrity Equinox I like it Miss Kathy not so much kept comparing the ships. Miami is probably the nicest port to sail out of as far a things to say. As far as convenience Fort Lauderdale hands down.

We have the next three out of Galveston on Liberty then we sail out of Miami from Terminal A maybe the first sail on the Allure

Depends on day, accidents, weather. Can make it in 20 minutes, or it can take 2 hours. But if you are coming from far away I find it hard to believe that's the make or break for a cruise. People really are something else...

You have to draw the line somewhere.

On a Sunday morning, you won't hit any traffic. The roads are empty. I find this thread actually a bit funny. I don't know why anyone would care one way or another if they sail out of PE or PM. It's barely 30 minutes difference. PortMiami even built the new tunnel, it's straight highway right in to the port now.

If you like staying the night before in Fort Lauderdale, then continue to stay the night before in Fort Lauderdale and make the short drive to Miami for your cruise.

I don't know any cruises that have boarding during rush hour. There is no disruptive traffic going in to Miami after 9:30 - 10AM, even on a weekday.

Is that true even if the Dolphins are playing that day??

Not if you want to stay below the speed limit. 45 minutes doing the speed limit, but with I 95 has a surprise waiting around the next corner

Or they have had a accident watch it on TV on our last trip they said trip would be hour and half till it was cleared.

Dolphins have virtually no effect on I95 traffic, or really traffic at all.

In February, an accident shut down i95 on Saturday when we arrived to PortMiami. We routed around it and added 15 min to our drive back home in Fort Lauderdale. That was with the interstate entirely closed, which is as bad as it gets... We got off and went to the turnpike. No big deal.

We have a lot of alternate roads and highways here, so even serious accidents don't have a major impact on traffic, especially outside of rush hour. So you spend 15 min traversing to the turnpike or 75...