Why Miami?

From everything I've read the short drive that you've mentioned is not the every day normal time. Even the resident taxi drivers we've had are frustrated. So far we've been relatively fortunate and not be in stopped traffic due to an accident or the morning commute, but with additional ships and more passengers it's not going to stay in the realistic travel time, the odds are stacked up against people trying to catch flights on time.

Accidents happen, that is the reason to make a buffer. On a Saturday (unless there is some type of major lane/road closure) Miami to FLL should take about 30-mins. Even in the morning on a weekday Port Miami to FLL should take no more than 45-mins. I have done the drive many times for work. The averages are the averages. What is common is common. Sure, sometimes there are issues, but most of the time the drive is not as horrible as everyone makes it seem as long as you avoid the rush-hour for each direction.

Ok now give me your numbers for Tri-Rail which has a free shuttle to the station by the airport

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you wait for the shuttle at FLL and ride the shuttle over to the tri-rail station. Then wait for the tri rail, and finally ride the tri-rail to the MIA train station (which is a 50+ minute ride alone), then what? You jump on the mover and ride to downtown... then what? Get a taxi or Uber to the port or hopefully you booked a hotel near the mover if you are just going to the hotel. All this, an extra hour of hassle, to save $10 - $20? Why would you do that? An Uber is cheap and quick. So you spend 2 hours trying to get to Miami via train, all for what? $20?

Accidents happen, that is the reason to make a buffer. On a Saturday (unless there is some type of major lane/road closure) Miami to FLL should take about 30-mins. Even in the morning on a weekday Port Miami to FLL should take no more than 45-mins. I have done the drive many times for work. The averages are the averages. What is common is common. Sure, sometimes there are issues, but most of the time the drive is not as horrible as everyone makes it seem as long as you avoid the rush-hour for each direction.

In February when I returned from my Escape cruise, I95 was completely shut down due to an accident. It added 15 minutes to the drive. Google routed me right around it, no problem.

You jump on the mover and ride to downtown... then what? ?

The mover is only between the Tri rail station and airport. You would take metro downtown.

Biker, who rode Tri rail to MIA yesterday.

So you wait for the shuttle at FLL and ride the shuttle over to the tri-rail station. Then wait for the tri rail, and finally ride the tri-rail to the MIA train station (which is a 50+ minute ride alone), then what? You jump on the mover and ride to downtown... then what? Get a taxi or Uber to the port or hopefully you booked a hotel near the mover if you are just going to the hotel. All this, an extra hour of hassle, to save $10 - $20? Why would you do that? An Uber is cheap and quick. So you spend 2 hours trying to get to Miami via train, all for what? $20?

I land at 9:10 AM I can’t get into my hotel til 3 so this sounds like a plan thanks for all your work.

I land at 9:10 AM I can’t get into my hotel til 3 so this sounds like a plan thanks for all your work.

Have fun. Taking a bus and 3 trains in Miami is a blast. But think of the brightside, you will have saved enough money to buy a cheeseburger.

And I can see the benefit. I'd

certainly prefer spending my day train hopping and riding mass transit vs hanging out downtown, too.

The mover is only between the Tri rail station and airport. You would take metro downtown.

Biker, who rode Tri rail to MIA yesterday.

That's right. I'm thinking of metro mover. You would ride metro rail to government center then switch to the metro mover I believe. Love the naming. Mover, metrorrail, and metro mover.

Tri rail definitely has a place. Especially for going to the airport from Broward or Palm Beach.

Have fun. Taking a bus and 3 trains in Miami is a blast. But think of the brightside, you will have saved enough money to buy a cheeseburger.

And I can see the benefit. I'd

certainly prefer spending my day train hopping and riding mass transit vs hanging out downtown, too.

Where is your adventure folks are going to board the ship and paid tens times as much to ride a bus around a Caribbean island.

My wife doesn’t know it but she is going to love it, like she does most of the time with me.[emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where is your adventure folks are going to board the ship and paid tens times as much to ride a bus around a Caribbean island.

My wife doesn’t know it but she is going to love it, like she does most of the time with me.[emoji15]

I'm all for a sense of adventure, but clearly you have never braved South Florida public transit, lol.

That's really only an issue for a weekday cruise - much less than an hour on a typical weekend morning, especially on a Sunday.

This is how I feel. The weekend mornings do not take much extra time to get to Miami.

Port Everglades is nice, because 75 basically empties right into the port. (I know it is not technically 75 but 595, but you do not change roads.. so it is kinda 75)

Port Everglades is nice, because 75 basically empties right into the port. (I know it is not technically 75 but 595, but you do not change roads.. so it is kinda 75)

If that's your criteria, then the PortMiami Tunnel off of 395 provides far superior access to a port, so that doesn't quite cut it.

Just a guess but more and more ships so they can't all arrive at / depart from Fort Lauderdale? Many flights go to Miami and from my understanding port isn't too far so seems like a logical location.

P.S. - I haven't read all 9 pages to see responses

I once decided to use my sense of adventure to take the public buses from Old San Juan to the airport instead of using a cab as the bus fare was around $0.75. Just for reference, there are no direct buses between the two places you have to make transfers. My final thoughts on the experience were.... never again.:eek:

WOW! I'm glad I loged on and chimed into this latest thread about RCI making their presence the priority in Miami and ditching Fort Lauderdale. While money and tax breaks seem to point in that direction even though other Cruise Lines are finding FLL a much more convenient location. While RCI will no longer has FLL as a port you can be certain that other Lines will find that city attractive enough and will even receive tax breaks as well to keep the economy fluid for them. As one that flies from the northeast Jet Blue has been our # 1 choice, American Airlines has been an alternative with no stops but their prices are over the edge. While we're (to coin their old phrase) "Loyal to Royal" by taking 2-3 cruises a year from Florida this is something that we'll have to put more thought into if we were to continue. Port Canaveral isn't convenient and a small port with limited choices of what goes out of there. Tampa is good as posters have said if you're looking to take one of their smaller ships on a Western itinerary. Oh well, just my thoughts.

Wait, what?

#1 If you can't afford a cab perhaps you shouldn't be cruising

#2 We have cruised out of Miami several times and there is a lot more to do there without getting a cab or renting a car

#3 You have to rent a car in FLL if you want to go anywhere around the port

#4 All the hotels near the port or airport are going to be higher when they have ships in

#5 You're going on a cruise don't worry about such trivial things

I love all the things you can do right near the port in Miami and I like going to Fishlips and the other restaurants in FLL. So both ports are good. Here in NH we have tourists year round and trust me the hotels in Florida are about the same as New England and they come here in the droves for skiing, swimming, camping, hunting and fishing and don't forget bike week. When the whole state sounds like a motorcycle.

Go on vacation Have good time and be happy you live in a country where you can afford to go on a cruise.

Sharon I

I once decided to use my sense of adventure to take the public buses from Old San Juan to the airport instead of using a cab as the bus fare was around $0.75. Just for reference, there are no direct buses between the two places you have to make transfers. My final thoughts on the experience were.... never again.:eek:

This sounds like the time I thought saving a few bucks by taking a Greyhound from Miami to NY was a great idea. ;p

7,244,805 riders in the month of March in Dade County transit system that many people. Have you ever been in New York, Boston, Philadelphia Washington DC Atlanta, Dallas all have mass transit it’s ok it’s not as nice as a limousine but coach isn’t as nice as first class.

This sounds like the time I thought saving a few bucks by taking a Greyhound from Miami to NY was a great idea. ;p

So are you saying if I can’t afford a suite I shouldn’t book a cruise?

#1 If you can't afford a cab perhaps you shouldn't be cruising

So if you can't afford a Suite you shouldn't be cruising

I love all the things you can do right near the port in Miami and I like going to Fishlips and the other restaurants in FLL.

Fishlips is in Port Canaveral,

So both ports are good. Here in NH we have tourists year round and trust me the hotels in Florida are about the same as New England and they come here in the droves for skiing, swimming, camping, hunting and fishing and don't forget bike week. When the whole state sounds like a motorcycle.

Go on vacation Have good time and be happy you live in a country where you can afford to go on a cruise.

Sharon I