Apples to apples comparison

Peachypooh

For the past 5 years we have been cruising on the Jewell class ships in the Haven. We have been on the Pearl 3 times, Gem once and Jade once. When I went to make a reservation for our next adventure I was somewhat taken aback at the price increases. So....I decided to go back and look at my records and look at what the same itinerary/same week same ship for some of them would be. (all prices are rounded and do not include any extra perks). Alaska $7000 for two people now $10,500. Bahamas $8000 now $9300( not too bad but it's only been a year). Then I decided to look at the Bliss for one week in the Haven...for a comparable cabin to what we got $19,998!! I can only assume that most people are now booking lower cost cabins and hoping to win the upgrade advantage bids. Any experience with this??

We never paid that much for an NCL cruise. NCL's prices are up for one big reason, the price bundling that adds these ridiculously expensive drink package or dining package with large gratuity payments on top of the highly inflated prices. We normally drink about what the gratuity costs for the drink package, so we have only had it on one cruise. We didn't like the wine selections anyway. STOP the price bundling and let us buy what we want after we pay the bottom line price.

It’s not just cruises it’s travel in general , in April 2015 we spent 10 days in Orlando and then 7 nights on the getaway , I priced up the same trip for April 2019 , both the cruise and the hotel are 3 times what we paid then and the airfair is about 30% more , I’m pretty sure my wages aren’t 3 times higher though.

And THAT is Why we have all but Stopped cruising NCL.

My Platnuime plus money can wait till FDR leave's NCL.

Just Sayin

Same here. In two weeks we will be Platinum Plus, won't be buying a cruisenext (have one left).

Some is supply and demand and others, IMO, is throw out high prices, get whoever you can, use bid program to bridge gap and make more money in the end with upgrading a chain of people.

You are so right about the hotel rooms. When we first retired and did some road trips we were able to get budget hotels for around $50 per night and the mid-priced ones for around $65. We just got back from a road trip out west and our cheapest hotel room was $150 and the most expensive $289. And we are talking about chains like Best Western and Fairfield Inn not Ritz Carlton! As for cruises when we took a cruise right after we retired. It was a Sky Suite on the Celebrity Mercury. It came with a Butler and for the two of us it was $1800. Don't know what a comparable cabin would be on the Pearl but it was bigger than a mini suite.

sounds so much like us and hotel prices. We can remember and not many years ago when we would stay at the Wingate hotel at XNA before sailing. Parking was free for up to 14 nights and the rooms were around $60. Now parking has a charge, not much but they do charge and the cheapest room including tax is $105.00. Most places we are thrilled to get a hotel under 175.00.

We never paid that much for an NCL cruise. NCL's prices are up for one big reason, the price bundling that adds these ridiculously expensive drink package or dining package with large gratuity payments on top of the highly inflated prices. We normally drink about what the gratuity costs for the drink package, so we have only had it on one cruise. We didn't like the wine selections anyway. STOP the price bundling and let us buy what we want after we pay the bottom line price.

most lines are going to the package or promo selection plan. You can still book cruises without the added perks. For most of us, we are happy with the promo plan. If nothing else everything is paid for prior to leaving on the cruise.

To me, the older ships are the best of both Haven and Freestyle for less (much less) than the latest and greatest like the Bliss!

On my last cruise in May on GEM, a couple had booked a Garden Villa in the Haven for $5K. It was absolutely gorgeous!

I agree, that is why I only book sail away rates and get the x fares. Those "perks" are not free, and frankly worthless to me.

I actually find NCL some of my lowest pricing. I last minute book, at give away rates. Sure, I'm very accepting of not going, but have no problem cruising at least every month.

I book based on itinerary only, I don't care about the ship or cabin. What's most important - is to know yourself. A lot of people the cabin is everything.

I agree with those stating it is Travel costs in general have increased drastically. Try looking at the other cruise lines that do not offer the packages that NCL does. No reason to blame FDR, he just stated a fact and actually the whole travel industry prices have increased. You can no longer compare what you paid for a cruise 2 years ago because those days are gone or at least for a while. Yes, it is supply and demand and travelers are willing to spend the money. Your only hope to get a bargain is last minute but two problems with that one if you have to fly to your destination the price you may save on last minute will be eaten up with high air costs or what you want for your cruise vacation may no longer exist to be available. (Example...Most of Alaska cruises for 2018 on all the cruise lines are about sold out) The last minute deals are not coming up nearly as frequently as they once did.

NCL is selling Haven Suites for the Bliss at full price, the only category that I think is not selling quite as well is the H5, those prices are dropping on some sailings so keep an eye out.

I personally hated to spend the big money for the Haven when I originally booked the Bliss in January 2017, I am also Platinum and have only cruised Suites/Haven on NCL but then I have also only been on Jewel and Dawn Class so Bliss will be my first BIG NCL ship.. My last Suite on NCL was March 2017 and I just could not see paying more than double what I paid for the Dawn but as we got closer to final and all the reports coming in from the Inaugural sailing about how amazing the Haven is and reading about doing the bidding I decided that it was not worth playing NCL bidding game and took the leap and just upgraded ourselves to the Haven. Fortunately the prices have dropped for our September cruise. Overall the prices is still far less than if I were to go spend 7 nights at a Resort in Hawaii including food and entertainment so I am happy.