Clarification about Cruise next credits?

erdoran

I’m still a bit unclear about the future cruise credits that can be bought during a cruise. What’s the scenario where I get the max OBC? I’m thinking but may have misunderstood that if I buy $2k I get $500 OBC, and if I use it to book future cruises during this cruise, it is doubled to $1k? Would I have to book 4 future cruises or 2? And what if I were to book only Haven for future cruises, how would that work? I don’t mind laying out deposits if it makes financial sense.

thanks

I'm not an expert on it but have your looked on the NCL website? If you go to NCL.com and type in "cruise rewards" in the search box they have a whole FAQ section. Hope that helps you somewhat.

Most folks find it to be a good deal. Happy Sailing.

During Your Cruise. You'll enjoy Free Onboard Credit for your current cruise by simply purchasing CruiseNext deposits. You won't have to pick a destination and sail date to get the Free Onboard Credit, but if you do, you'll get an additional FREE offer.

What’s the additional free offer? Seems like a great deal to me - put out $1000 and get $500 OBC. Can I use this for Haven? The site says $2k for Haven, but I can’t imagine wanting to do that - I’ve gone from a 50% ROI to 25%.

Cruise Next certificates are different from Haven certificates. The Haven ones cost double, but will allow you to guarantee yourself a Haven level room with just the certificate alone. The return on investment is also lower on the Haven ones. So for example, whatever you put down for your regular cruise next certificates, you get 50% of that back to you. With Haven, it is only 25% in 'free' credits.

I just did this when we were on the Epic last month. We put down $1000 towards cruise next certificates (4 x $250 each) and only paid $500 for them. They call it an OBC, but it's not. My current cabin bill was charged $500. I was expecting a $500 credit and a separate $1000 bill on my credit card. Nope. You essentially just get that 'free credit' immediately applied and the net charge added to your current cruise bill. So for those who are concerned about having to use up $500 in OBC, no worries, it doesn't work that way.

Essentially we now have 4 'credits' of $250 each to use on future cruises, and have 4 years to use them up. And we only paid $500 total for them. Plus, we booked our next cruise while we were still on board. The 'free gift' is only good depending upon the cabin that you want to book. You get a free cabin upgrade in the class of cabins that you want to book in. So for us, we were looking at balcony rooms. We paid the cost of the BF room, but are booked in the BA room for the same price (a savings of ~$140 total). Not all room categories are eligible though, which is why I say it isn't a great bonus or incentive to booking right then and there.

The other thing, they offer the option to 'double up' your certificates. Meaning that instead of cashing in one certificate for your next cruise, if you book early enough in advance you can use 2 at the same time. We would never take 4 cruises in 4 years - we like regular land vacations too. So being able to cash in 2 deposits on the same cruise means that we have 2 certificates left to use up in the next 4 years. Or we can double up again if we book early enough and then we're done with our commitment and got $500 for free.

Certificates can also be gifted to friends/family, or sold to complete strangers. So as long as you had some fun on your trip and see yourself taking at least one more cruise in the next 4 years, it's a no brainer to get free money from them.

Forgot to add, the regular cruise next certificates can be used to book a Haven level room, but you'll have to make up the difference in deposit. The regular certificates are not sufficient to cover the minimum deposit for Haven, but you can use the regular ones to cover a portion of that charge. So it makes more sense to buy the regular ones and use them for regular or Haven rooms and you'll get the better return, rather than buying the Haven ones and getting less back in 'freebies'.

I was expecting a $500 credit and a separate $1000 bill on my credit card. Nope. You essentially just get that 'free credit' immediately applied and the net charge added to your current cruise bill. So for those who are concerned about having to use up $500 in OBC, no worries, it doesn't work that way.

I did have that concern (about not having enough on-board expenses to use up the credits) but the agent at the Cruise Next cleared it up for me. It is correct that you don't need any other OB expense to use it, because the cost of the Cruise Next certificates is added to your on-board account and then the credits are issued against it, so the net cost (if you buy two or more) is half the value. However, the charge and the credit were itemized on my bill. The effect is the same.

NCL muddies the water by saying, "Free Onboard Credit can be applied toward a variety of activities and services on our ships, including duty-free shopping, specialty dining, alcoholic beverages and spa. Free Onboard Credit can also be applied toward shore excursions, but only when booked on board." This makes it sound as if you have to spend more to use the credit from a Cruise Next purchase, but you don't.

The other thing, they offer the option to 'double up' your certificates. Meaning that instead of cashing in one certificate for your next cruise, if you book early enough in advance you can use 2 at the same time. We would never take 4 cruises in 4 years - we like regular land vacations too. So being able to cash in 2 deposits on the same cruise means that we have 2 certificates left to use up in the next 4 years. Or we can double up again if we book early enough and then we're done with our commitment and got $500 for free.

To be clear, you can apply two certificates to one booking IF the booking is made at least six months in advance AND it is for a balcony stateroom or higher category. Also, most Cruise Next certificates can be used only for cruises that are at least six days long.

I'm sorry, I do have one more question. For the upgrade for the "additional free offer" does that work for Haven level - e.g. I book the cheapest Haven suite and get upgraded to the next most expensive?

Also with this type of booking, if I book one cruise and then change my mind before final payment and switch to another cruise, how is this hypothetical upgrade handled? I get a $$ credit towards the new cruise cost based on the cost for my upgraded room, or just the cost of the original room?

Thanks and sorry to be such a nitpick, I get paid at work for attention to detail and that's why I ask these detailed questions.

During Your Cruise. You'll enjoy Free Onboard Credit for your current cruise by simply purchasing CruiseNext deposits. You won't have to pick a destination and sail date to get the Free Onboard Credit, but if you do, you'll get an additional FREE offer.

What’s the additional free offer? Seems like a great deal to me - put out $1000 and get $500 OBC. Can I use this for Haven? The site says $2k for Haven, but I can’t imagine wanting to do that - I’ve gone from a 50% ROI to 25%.

This "additional free offer" was a same category upgrade. Just off the Escape this morning and that was what the Next Cruise rep told me.

Did not specify anything about the Haven.

Erdoran, the free offer for booking on board doesn't apply to the Haven suites. I asked this when I purchased my certificates last October. So in other words if you like sailing in the Haven there is no incentive to book your cruise on board.

I'm sorry, I do have one more question. For the upgrade for the "additional free offer" does that work for Haven level - e.g. I book the cheapest Haven suite and get upgraded to the next most expensive?

Also with this type of booking, if I book one cruise and then change my mind before final payment and switch to another cruise, how is this hypothetical upgrade handled? I get a $$ credit towards the new cruise cost based on the cost for my upgraded room, or just the cost of the original room?

Thanks and sorry to be such a nitpick, I get paid at work for attention to detail and that's why I ask these detailed questions.

The free upgrade is not applicable to Haven, or to certain other "regular" rooms. For example, if you book a BF balcony, the highest you can go is BA balcony. If you want the extra large balcony room B6, then you forfeit your entire "free upgrade" and get nothing.

If you switch cruises, or even switch rooms, there is the potential to lose this "free upgrade" as well. Honestly, it depends on who you talk to on the phone. I wanted to switch from my BA to B6 and was being charged the full price to go from BF to B6 - essentially losing my free offer. I was also told that once I'm off the ship - ANY change to my sailing forfeits the "free upgrade" because you are not on the ship any longer and that only applies while on the ship.

I think that is nonsense, as is the price from BF to B6 instead of the price from BA (where I am) to B6 - but it all depends on who you talk to over there, which complicates it further. We're fine with where we are for now, but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth with the bait & switch they pulled.

What are the "rules" for selling CruiseNext certificates to strangers? There is no one we know who wants or needs them and we have 2 of the $250 ones we won't be able to use. They expire in October 2019. Any advice? I'm not sure how to get the word out!

Thanks!

What are the "rules" for selling CruiseNext certificates to strangers? There is no one we know who wants or needs them and we have 2 of the $250 ones we won't be able to use. They expire in October 2019. Any advice? I'm not sure how to get the word out!

Thanks!

It's a simple one minute process to transfer. Doesn't matter who it is going to, as long as a Latitude member with a number.

You can "get the word out" by selling it on Ebay. It would be fair to sell it for less than the $250 face value (which nobody would buy at that price anyways!), but more than the $125 you actually paid for it.

You could also try local avenues like your local paper, Craigs list, or even a local travel agent that could hook you up with a client.

You can just go to the CruiseNext desk on board and tell them you want four $250 certificates for $500 (or eight for $1,000, etc.). I have done it twice on the Epic. No 'OBC' or any other credits involved.

Thanks!

Just be careful of the lowballers on here.........everyone knows how much you'd have paid for them and they will try to lowball you. Do not leave it till the 11th hour to try to sell them, I had 4 that expire in 2020 that I sold on here a couple of months ago for $175 each so it was a win/win situation. Good luck.

It's a simple one minute process to transfer. Doesn't matter who it is going to, as long as a Latitude member with a number.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. How would you suggest I go about finding someone who might be interested in the Certificates? Is there a forum that I could post in? Any advice on where I might find interested cruisers? I don't know where to start!

Thanks!

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. How would you suggest I go about finding someone who might be interested in the Certificates? Is there a forum that I could post in? Any advice on where I might find interested cruisers? I don't know where to start!

Thanks!

Did you see my post #16?

• 3 weeks later...
The "double" cruise next usage, mention above can ONLY be redeemed on a balcony or higher cruise, and booked at least 6 months in advance.

Last year I was allowed for some reason to use two cruise next credits on a studio cabin (and booked less than 6 months before sailing)! It was great but I think maybe the consultant got it wrong. But reduced my booking by $500!!!