surprise to a booking

Hawaiidan

I booked a 7 day Monte Carlo to Rome. 6 months ago... paid a deposit, got a res the works. Was in the process of getting flights purchased ( FF) and hotels and checked the O site to check on how the cruise was selling and port details.

Suprise , suprise, The web site said you have no cruise booked. I then entered the booking # and ship, etc and got a message " your reservation is cancelled... call reservations. I wondered how many months ago this happened.. Good thing I checked as it would have cost me $$$$ in land/air coats.

Any one had this happen? O never notified my agent ot me, Did you get any special offers for getting cancelled.

In the place of my reserved cruise they now offered a 12 day out of either Rome or Barcelona with a terrible set of ports/sequence 2.5x more expensive. !!!.

Their 2020 sailing schedule for May only shows Asian cruises

May 2020:

Beyond the Asian cruises, there's SF-Vancouver and Dubai-Rome

Thanks...However Dubai and the rest of the gulf states are on my not never/no way list, along with Africa ( just to be fair.) Been SF /Vancouver and reverse several times...

I guess I will have to call and get my deposit back. Things are a changing. Hearing of the " new dinner menu" was in line with other new "re-adjustments to past practices Looks like they are looking at schedules too...

Oceania has canceled cruises in the past and chartered the ship out. Typically, the TA is notified, who in turn would have notified you. I would have called my TA first and let them deal with Oceania on my behalf. They typically have far more clout and experience with the issues. It has been noticeable on other O threads that some only view their TA as sources of kickbacks and opt to not utilize their expertises. I’d recommend working it with your TA not this Board.

Let me add to your 2020 comments. It has been noticed and commented on that since Oceania opted to meet their competitors ( primarily Viking) policy of putting out schedules 2 years in advance, the number of cruise cancellations and changes have increased versus when the scheduling window was shorter. Things change, so remember that if you’re still looking at cruises 20-24 months out!

Edited by pinotlover

Oceania has canceled cruises in the past and chartered the ship out. Typically, the TA is notified, who in turn would have notified you. I would have called my TA first and let them deal with Oceania on my behalf. They typically have far more clout and experience with the issues. It has been noticeable on other O threads that some only view their TA as sources of kickbacks and opt to not utilize their expertises. I’d recommend working it with your TA not this Board.

Let me add to your 2020 comments. It has been noticed and commented on that since Oceania opted to meet their competitors ( primarily Viking) policy of putting out schedules 2 years in advance, the number of cruise cancellations and changes have increased versus when the scheduling window was shorter. Things change, so remember that if you’re still looking at cruises 20-24 months out!

I was only looking out 11 months... till May 19... I wont be able to contact O or my agent for a week starting Monday or so as I will not have either the ability or phone to do so.... They are both closed over the weekend Looking our at 2020 I was curious as to if they were going to offer the same cruise they cancelled. It is a cruise they have done year after year 16-17-18... And looking at the schedule (Rivera_) It is now a Barcelona to Rome May3 with an overnight MAY 8-9 in MontCarlo, The cancelled cruise would have been May 8 to Rome 7 days. No overnight in Monte Carlo. So no charter...... .

Hawaiidan - Are you sure that you are looking at the Riviera's schedule. I still see it online as a 7 day Rome > Monte Carlo on May 3, 2019. The Marina May 3rd sailing is a 14 day Barcelona to Rome with the overnighter in Monte Carlo.

Looks like a charter. Rome to Monte Carlo 3 to 10th and then Rome to Venice on the 15th. Looks like they changed the schedule to accommodate a 5 day charter Monte Carlo to Rome on the 10th.

From the thread “Back to Oceania” post this morning by cruzmaven:

“Visited the O website today to check on pricing of the September, 2019 Alaska cruise I booked and was surprised to see that the sailing was not listed.

“Logged in to my account and the sailing did not show under booked cruises. When I tried to add it, I got an error message that the booking was cancelled. clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

“Had my TA check and she says she was just informed that the sailing was cancelled. Waiting for her to get back to me on details.

Guess O didn't want me back.”

Sounds like a pattern.

schedules are done 2-3 yrs out

things can change

at least they try to give plenty of notice when they change the schedule

another cruise line bumped passenger less than 6mths out for a charter ..not good

What is really distressing is that no one notified the OP or his TA. When was Oceania planning to tell him? And why was his deposit not immediately refunded?

Do you know for a fact that the TA was not notified??

Do you know for a fact that the TA was not notified??

For a fact... no one called anyone of e-mailed anyone anything.... I just 2 days ago got a refund check in the mail

Sort of cold, so I called my Guy who called O and told them of the glitch. Asked if they would be interested in "helping me" out. They came back with an apology, and If I took the MAY 3 to 10 Rome Monte Carlo, they would offer me serious $$$ which was about a 50% discount + OBC's on top. I could not afford not to take the offer !!! Airfare ran me $27.00 and Hotels $14 pp. I can not stay at home this cheap...

So this goes down along with the O offer to give me a fee cruise, and a full refund on top of that.... I expect I will get a 1099 for that cruise.

O did me right.... my agent was instrumental... Thank You Oceaina, your customer service has come through

Unbelievable

One person has such luck with each cruise on Oceania

Maybe ,Just Maby. polite. low key and not aggressive. over the long relationship. and not every cruise bit many times Not asking or demanding or threatening.

Rather, asking O for help and understanding... giving them a chance to make things better....not yelling or screaming on what I demand. Mutual respect, I had a problem, O made a mistake, Working together understanding the others situation often results in better than imagined results ...... everyone wins.... and wants to help each other.... Does that compute?