Excursion Tipping

CVW106

For a full ish day excursion we most often do $40 (for 2 of us), maybe more if it was amazing, less if it was more transportation than tour. I'm sure you'll hear widely varying answers though. You can give it to anyone leading the tour; they typically split all tips.

Really a widely variable number. How long and how expensive was the excursion. How good was the guide. Were we with an employee or were we touring with the owner operator. What is the usual tipping policy in the particular country where we were touring. All these factors and a few others are relevant so I can’t give you one number or even a particular percentage.

In my opinion, the amount of a gratuity I offer and to whom varies with the tour. Short tours with a good Guide, I will give more to the Guide than to a Guide who does the bare minimum. A full day tour, A good Guide probably ought to receive about $10/person.

For a driver, if his job has been challenging, due to type of roads and traffic, I would recognize his service. Ordinary traffic and road condition, unless he helps guests on and off the tour vehicle, nothing. If he does help guests, than $2-3 is probably appropriate. Tipping is such a personal matter that it's difficult to provide "guidelines".

On my most recent shore excursions, including those internationally, I have been surprised at the increasing number of guests who offer nothing to either Guide or Driver.

I have wondered if the tips are divided between the Driver and Guide. For me, that is another "travel mystery" than may have no definite answer.

Depends if it's only transportation or a fun and informative guide. If it's just transportation, well, that's what we paid for....if there's a guide and they make the trip more fun, then a tip is in order....$10 should be ample for a couple....but that's up to you! Some tip, some don't...it's not required.

I agree, the need to tip everyone is definitely a US custom. Personally, when on a large tour group where the guide simply talks into a microphone, I see no need for a tip. However, if the guide has personally helped my wife or I, then I will consider a tip.

When taking Alla Tours in St Petersburg with a small group of 10, the guide took time to ensure each couple was enjoying the tour and answered individual questions and while walking around activities, spent time with each couple. This guide provided extra service, so I believe we all provided a tip.

Contrary to what some believe, tipping is not just a US custom. Research what the tipping culture is in the country you are in and make your decision based on that information.

I usually tip $10 to $20 to the tour guide, depending how how well he/she ran the tour and how long it was and $5 for the driver. Since tipping is very personal, some will tip more, some will tip less and some won't tip at all, it should be up to how the services were rendered and, of course, your budget.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Contrary to what some believe, tipping is not just a US custom. Research what the tipping culture is in the country you are in and make your decision based on that information.

I usually tip $10 to $20 to the tour guide, depending how how well he/she ran the tour and how long it was and $5 for the driver. Since tipping is very personal, some will tip more, some will tip less and some won't tip at all, it should be up to how the services were rendered and, of course, your budget.

Excellent advice! Research what the tipping custom is wherever one travels and follow that is probably be the best guideline on ought to follow.

We tip $5 to $10 each with the latter being for a longer tour or a really outstanding guide. We have tipped more than that for a couple of truly extraordinary excursions. $2-$3 dollars to the driver sometimes.

We budget for $5 to $10 but also factor in how many fellow tourists the tour guide serves (so a tour guide of a group of 6 gets a lot more than someone guiding a group of 40).