Another Passport Question

Please stop calling it "Real ID" the one you want is the State issued "EDL" the Real ID is a term for the federal act not a form of ID.
It's all well and good to say we should stop saying "Real ID", but the fact is that my state offers a Real ID driver's license ... it does not offer an Enhanced Driver's License.

It's all well and good to say we should stop saying "Real ID", but the fact is that my state offers a Real ID driver's license ... it does not offer an Enhanced Driver's License.

You say "tomato" If you have to show proof of US citizenship then it's Real ID compliant if you don't then it isn't.

You say "tomato" If you have to show proof of US citizenship then it's Real ID compliant if you don't then it isn't.

A Real ID compliant license can not be used to cross the border between the US/Canada or US/Mexico or as a stand alone document to board a cruise, my EDL allows me to do both of those things so there is a world of difference between the two. There was a thread in another forum not too long ago where the poster's relative thought they had an EDL and were shocked when they found out that they didn't. Fortunately for them they were able to have their birth certificate faxed to the port to allow them to board.

A REAL ID compliant driver's license is not proof of citizenship.

I stand corrected, you don't have to show proof of US citizenship to get a Real ID compliant driver's license, at least in California. You don't even need to be a US citizen to get one. You do, however, have to show one of a limited number of identification source documents to get a compliant license. Those complaint DL's can be used to clear TSA and for other federal purposes.

I stand corrected, you don't have to show proof of US citizenship to get a Real ID compliant driver's license, at least in California. You don't even need to be a US citizen to get one. You do, however, have to show one of a limited number of identification source documents to get a compliant license. Those complaint DL's can be used to clear TSA and for other federal purposes.

Exactly. I had submitted all sorts of extra documents to get my license with a Gold Star.

The real crazy part is a passport and passport card are Real-ID compliant, yet you can't just show your passport to get a Gold Star license!

Arkansas does not issue Enhanced Drivers Licences, they issue Real ID compliant licenses, the one with a star in the top right corner, and Yes, your DL will always expire at the same time as your expiration to be legally in the US as the Real ID compliant license shows that you are legally in the US, even visitors on an ESTA can get a Real ID DL, if they have the relevant paperwork, it will expire on the last day they can stay in the US

So this website gives false information? THis is why I will NEVER rely on CC for information of importance.

https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/driver-services/arkansas-voluntary-enhanced-security-dl-or-id/

So this website gives false information? THis is why I will NEVER rely on CC for information of importance.

https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/driver-services/arkansas-voluntary-enhanced-security-dl-or-id/

They call their REAL ID compliant licenses "Enhanced Security Drivers License" which is too easily confused with an Enhanced Drivers License because as noted they are two completely different things.

It didn’t give false info. The license is for domestic flights and entrance into government buildings within the US. It is not good for international travel.

The name of the 2 types of license are to similar on the states websites. I made the same mistake earlier about the two different licenses. If all the states would use the name real ID it would help reduce the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My license expired on my birthday last month and I renewed and received the "Real ID" compliant license with the gold star. In addition to my expired license, I had to show my passport, SS card and two pieces of mail with my name and address on them. After 2020, this license will allow me to fly domestically and to enter US bases and Federal buildings.

Here's the funny part. I was flying for business reasons last week and used my new license to enter security through the TSA approved checkpoint. The machines the TSA agents were using were new and would not read my license. They asked if I had my passport, but of course I didn't because I had the new enhanced license! Go figure! After discussing with a fellow agent, I was allowed through. Looks like I'll be taking my passport with me next time.

California Real ID licenses are supposed to have a "Golden Bear". (CA is weird that way) I just renewed my DL, and mine does not. Oddly, I do have a gold star on it. I just sent the $35 in and renewed. If it becomes an issue in 2020, we will just use our passport cards, global entry cards or passports when we fly or try to enter a federal building (which is not very often). :D:D

Edited by Coralc

California Real ID licenses are supposed to have a "Golden Bear". (CA is weird that way) I just renewed my DL, and mine does not. Oddly, I do have a gold star on it. I just sent the $35 in and renewed. If it becomes an issue in 2020, we will just use our passport cards, global entry cards or passports when we fly or try to enter a federal building (which is not very often). :D:D

As I looked at the CA DMV site if you didn't have to provide any supporting documents and just did it via on-line or mail then you don't have the "Real ID/Enhanced DL". But in your case and ours (GE & SENTRI & USPP) it doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble.

No one's arguing otherwise, but the point is that not all states offer the Enhanced License, so -- to those of us who live in those states -- it doesn't matter whether it's better or not. It's not a choice for us. Not at this point.

No one's arguing otherwise, but the point is that not all states offer the Enhanced License, so -- to those of us who live in those states -- it doesn't matter whether it's better or not. It's not a choice for us. Not at this point.

Passport Card is an option for US citizens.