Another Passport Question

I did not want to argue with the Customs Agent, so I got my passport out of my luggage, but is not a driver's license a valid "proof of citizenship?" I read that I needed to have proof of citizenship when returning to the USA and I thought a picture ID was good. What is the requirement when returning?

I did not want to argue with the Customs Agent, so I got my passport out of my luggage, but is not a driver's license a valid "proof of citizenship?" I read that I needed to have proof of citizenship when returning to the USA and I thought a picture ID was good. What is the requirement when returning?

Only certain types of driver's licenses are proofs of citizenship.

For a closed end cruise out of the US (starts and ends in the same US port), you can use a passport booklet, passport card, or combination of certified copy of your birth certificate and government issued photo ID.

No. Never has been. If you only want to use a license then you should have had your birth certificate ready as well.

Must be why you are told to have your passport ready and open when going through

Unless it is an Enhanced Drivers License it does not prove citizenship and currently only 5 states issue them (I believe Minnesota does issue them, but of course you have to apply for one and pay the extra fee). I do have one and it would have been sufficient to present for returning from a cruise involving Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.

Unless it is an Enhanced Drivers License it does not prove citizenship and currently only 5 states issue them (I believe Minnesota does issue them, but of course you have to apply for one and pay the extra fee). I do have one and it would have been sufficient to present for returning from a cruise involving Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.

https://www.nilc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/marked-license-immigration-status-2015-07-13.pdf

All states will issue a DL to a "Legal" Alien (green card). Some states don't care if you are legal or not. Having a regular driver's license does NOT mean you are a US citizen.

For a closed end cruise out of the US (starts and ends in the same US port), you can use a passport booklet, passport card, or combination of certified copy of your birth certificate and government issued photo ID.[/quote

Which DL is proof of citizenship?

I have the enchanced but still need to show my green card and foreign passport as proof I can legally enter the USA.

For a closed end cruise out of the US (starts and ends in the same US port), you can use a passport booklet, passport card, or combination of certified copy of your birth certificate and government issued photo ID.[/quote

I have the enchanced but still need to show my green card and foreign passport as proof I can legally enter the USA.

I thought the EDL had proof of citizenship.

Only US citizens can get a Enhanced Driver’s License.

To complicate things more I've heard of some states that call their real ID licenses enhanced IDs making some people think they are the enhanced IDs that operate like passport cards, but only 5 states have the true enhanced IDs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

To complicate things more I've heard of some states that call their real ID licenses enhanced IDs making some people think they are the enhanced IDs that operate like passport cards, but only 5 states have the true enhanced IDs.

Air Travel will almost always require a passport. WHTI is different for sea travel.

An enhanced drivers' license is only valid for WHTI. (not for Europe for instance)

Further complicating the process is some people think you will automatically get a real-id or EDL in those states that issue them. They cost extra and require you to jump though some hoops. You can opt-out and get a normal DL.

:evilsmile::evilsmile:

Only US citizens can get a Enhanced Driver’s License.

Correct, I have one from Michigan, use on Open Loop Cruises with my Birth Certificate...

Gov't does additional background checks to be issued one...

Edited by ONECRUISER

For the OP....you are in Minnesota....did you request, present the required docs and pay for an Enhanced Drivers License?

If you don't know or don't remember, you need to find out.

If you only had a regular drivers license then the CBP agent was correct.

If you are not a US citizen then you do not have an enhanced license but rather you have a REAL ID compliant license (which may be issued to green card holders).

You can add California to the list as of January. Here's the quote directly from the DHS www site.

State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

You want an EDL anything else won't work. Real ID is just a funny name for nothing.

A passport trumps any other kind of I D. If you had it it was a no brainer to have it out

Agreed. OP probably held up a few people behind him too whom I'm sure weren't too pleased. :(

Why is passport in luggage, anyway? Sincerely asking. We would never put our passports in a suitcase - they are always on our person.

I assume you're talking about INTERNATIONAL air travel, right? Domestic doesn't require a passport (yet).
I believe domestic requires an ID that is at minimum what they call a real ID. They might have delayed that implementation though, I have a complaint license so I haven't paid attention.

You can add California to the list as of January. Here's the quote directly from the DHS www site.

State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

You want an EDL anything else won't work. Real ID is just a funny name for nothing.

Low Cost? Not in NY, mine cost me $94.50, I think when I got my passport it was about $130 ish....(years ago)

A commercial drivers license. Is actually federally controlled. I actually had to prove citizenship to get it.

And as required by law to have this license you must speak and understand english ( in order to follow police instructions)

I know certain states gave enhanced secure licenses.

I wonder if this woul be sufficient

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk