If 1 of the 4 people in the cabin can't go, we'll they make us change rooms?

erinm51

The school board made charges to their class calendar and now my family's spring break cruise is booked for the week before spring break :mad:

We have booked 2 extended balcony rooms (I think category 8k) next to each other. I have my three kids and my mom in one room and my husband and I are next door (first time my husband and I get a room to ourselves lol)

I looked into changing the booking to the following week but it would cost me an arm and a leg to do it :loudcry::mad:

So we are still going on the cruise the week before spring break. My two daughters will just make up the missed school work but my 13 year old stepsons mother said she won't let him miss school to go on the cruise :(:loudcry:. So unless we can convince her to change her mind ( not likely) I will need to cancel his booking :loudcry:. I'm worried that if cancel we will need to change rooms?

The room they are in has one Pullman and the couch is the fourth bed?

Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't cancel.....I would just eat the $$ loss and have a "no-show"...who knows what will happen before next spring? What does the deck plan show for bedding in your cabins? RCI shows each cabin's bedding....there is a legend...look at it!

If you tell them ahead of time they could change you to a cabin that fits less people. You have great cabins. I wouldn’t change locations or tell them. They will just refund you taxes and port fees for the missing passenger once on board. You will have to eat the cost of his cruise fare. Or you could invite someone else along to recoup the money. They can handle the change for you for a small fee.

School is more important than a cruise. Sometimes missing a week of school can have drastic effects on the rest of the year by missing some classroom time.

Made the same mistake two years ago and booked a cruise on a week I was told was my GFs sons week off, it wasnt.

We just changed the reservation to the correct week and had a great time at no extra cost.

I would check and see how many rooms of your type (8K?) are available, that sleep 3? Probably not many since this a specialty room.

If there are not any available, I would wait until right around final payment to cancel stepson. Carnival will not downgrade you to a lower class and it's not likely they will upgrade you to a JS either.

By around final payment, the ship should be at around 75% sold (these are my metrics) and the likely hood of a switch is slim.

I hope his mom changes her mind. Life is too short and he'll have plenty time over his regular spring break to make up the work.

Totally agree! My grandchildren have sailed with us and took the time off from school, on several occasions. With that said, I booked a big family cruise in 2020,and did schedule it for Easter Break. Now, after reading the OPs comment, I hope they don’t go and change the break. Also, we have grandchildren coming from several different areas of the country, so they may not all have that whole week off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

School is more important than a cruise. Sometimes missing a week of school can have drastic effects on the rest of the year by missing some classroom time.

Made the same mistake two years ago and booked a cruise on a week I was told was my GFs sons week off, it wasnt.

We just changed the reservation to the correct week and had a great time at no extra cost.

A few years ago, this subject came up. There were a lot of replies from teachers. Most of them said that unless the student is struggling, the cruise is a great way to learn about other cultures. They said that if you ask, most teachers will prepare a study plan for the student to keep them abreast of the classes that they will miss.

I. Carnival will not downgrade you to a lower class and it's not likely they will upgrade you to a JS either. .

Never say never-- as we had them move us to a triple when one had to cancel. = especially when traveling during peak sailing times

Never say never-- as we had them move us to a triple when one had to cancel. = especially when traveling during peak sailing times

Sure! But were downgraded in cabin class?

Every time I have spoken with someone at carnival I’ve been told I would not ever be downgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago, this subject came up. There were a lot of replies from teachers. Most of them said that unless the student is struggling, the cruise is a great way to learn about other cultures. They said that if you ask, most teachers will prepare a study plan for the student to keep them abreast of the classes that they will miss.

That depends on your school district.

Ours does not consider a trip to be a legitimate absence and any work missed gets a zero. The teachers will not give out the assignments in advance because they get jumped on by the principals.

They even hassle people when they take the kids out of school to attend a funeral. If you miss more than 4 consecutive days a doctors note is required,

They had a conniption when our trip to Italy caused our son to miss the first day back after Spring Break. Thankfully, he didn't miss work because they were starting new units in every subject.

The line below is straight off the website!

The following examples are NOT valid excuses and will NOT be excused: Family vacations, traffic issues, power outages, oversleeping, missing the bus, "family emergency" without further explanation of the situation, notes with no reason stated.

He's 13, missing a week is no big deal. He can get assignments ahead of time. Drastic effects for an entire year is a bit overboard

I had the same problem last March on our Spring Break. I tend to book early and got a great deal on a balcony room for 4. My husband ended up not being able to go. I contacted Carnival and they said I would need to cancel and re-book a room for 3. We ran the numbers and it would have cost of more to do so. The Carnival agent just told us to go on the boat and let them know when you arrive that 1 person will not be getting on the boat. They did refund tax and port charges for my husband when we returned.

I'm not only a former teacher, I'm now on the School Board. I have taken my daughter out of school to travel all through Europe and South America and on many cruises. Ask if your district has an Independent study option. Our district does. What it means is they give him work he can do on the ship. (one time my daughter wrote a journal about our travels and calculated the number of miles we traveled each day, used a map to show where we traveled) when they come back they turn it in, they get credit and the school can claim ADA (average daily attendance) for them. A win/win for everyone:)

Sounds like our school district

My husband's brother is getting married on a cruise and we're not going because our son would miss a whole week of school and "weddings aren't a covered excuse". :loudcry:

We're going to meet the ship in Key West instead so he only misses one day of school.

That depends on your school district.

Ours does not consider a trip to be a legitimate absence and any work missed gets a zero. The teachers will not give out the assignments in advance because they get jumped on by the principals.

They even hassle people when they take the kids out of school to attend a funeral. If you miss more than 4 consecutive days a doctors note is required,

They had a conniption when our trip to Italy caused our son to miss the first day back after Spring Break. Thankfully, he didn't miss work because they were starting new units in every subject.

The line below is straight off the website!

The following examples are NOT valid excuses and will NOT be excused: Family vacations, traffic issues, power outages, oversleeping, missing the bus, "family emergency" without further explanation of the situation, notes with no reason stated.

I'm not only a former teacher, I'm now on the School Board. I have taken my daughter out of school to travel all through Europe and South America and on many cruises. Ask if your district has an Independent study option. Our district does. What it means is they give him work he can do on the ship. (one time my daughter wrote a journal about our travels and calculated the number of miles we traveled each day, used a map to show where we traveled) when they come back they turn it in, they get credit and the school can claim ADA (average daily attendance) for them. A win/win for everyone:)
The money the school district gets from the state (At least here in TX) for each student day of attendance is what i suspect to be the real reason schools will not excuse family trips. The independent study option is genius, IMO. A win for all parties.

Check with your school district. Ours permits Off-Campus Independent Study (OCIS) for such a case. They don't much like it, but they still do. I suspect they get some sort of state funding that is less than for a student in the classroom. We did it once, for our first cruise, and they sent our boys a packet of material to cover. Granted, my boys were younger, but unless your stepson is struggling or behind, it shouldn't present a problem. And while you're at it, complain to them about the change, tell them you booked specifically around the scheduled break, and cannot change the booking (they don't need to know why, that it's a financial issue). If the district is willing to do OCIS, convince his mom that no work will be missed. Good luck!

This. Travel and new environments can be extremely rewarding not only for 'education' but as well for stimulating interest and getting charged up about exploring and learning. You could probably even find studies that support that. Mom really does need to change her mind, let the boy go and have his eyes opened far beyond his neighborhood, school, friends, the limits of his local environment and culture, so many different reasons for a child to be exposed to other worlds....live, not just from books or TV. Maybe there are other issues at work with mom but letting him go on this cruise could be the best thing that she could ever do for this young man.

They will move you to a cabin that sleeps 3. They did it to us. We waited to the last possible moment to drop our 4th person. The ship was not packed. Prices still low, and they still moved us. Put us in a noisy location far away from our other booked cabin.