Upgrade Fairy is Alive and Well

partybarbie

I'm pleased to report that the "Upgrade Fairy" is alive and well. For our upcoming cruise to Alaska, on the Grand Princess, we just received a free upgrade from a category IF (lowest inside cabin) to an OW (obstructed ocean-view). I booked two rooms for the four of us. Both cabins were upgraded, and are next to each other. It's my mom's first cruise to Alaska, and her 75th birthday, so we are all pretty happy, even though it's not a suite. ;)

Congrats, partybarbie ...hope you and your Mom have a fantastic cruise!!! And happy birthday to her.

Finucane, aka Johnny/Trina, passed on your greetings to us as you encountered each other on a recent cruise. We remember fondly the Old Royal cruise with you.

I'm sailing on the Grand in 10 days, when is your cruise? I booked an inside gty and got and inside gty maybe 1 cat higher. This is my 20th year sailing to Alaska, you would think that I might be due for a nice upgrade lol

Have a great time

the upgrade fairy works in mysterious ways...

sometimes first time cruisers get a nice upgrade ( inside to balcony ) to 'set the hook'

while long time cruisers get nothing but maybe a location 'upgrade' - already caught..

not a pleasant situation when they are together and overhear the 'blue cards'...

I'm sailing on the Grand in 10 days, when is your cruise? I booked an inside gty and got and inside gty maybe 1 cat higher. This is my 20th year sailing to Alaska, you would think that I might be due for a nice upgrade lol

Have a great time

I think we are on the cruise after yours, 6/25/18. This cruise wasn't selling as fast as some of the other ones, possibly because we will be sailing over the Fourth of July holiday. The free upgrades are few and far between these days.

Aren't ungrades the best. We had our first upgrade on the Coral Princess in May from interior to balcony. Don't know why they picked us but we were very grateful.

Sent from my SM-T315T using Tapatalk

We upgraded once and it was a downgrade for us. We ended up on the Aloha deck under MUTS. Constant moving of chairs above us and the noise from MUTS and Lido. Never again. We've been called and I tell them we'll only upgrade to the Owner's Suite at no additional cost. Haven't had a call since.:confused:

the upgrade fairy works in mysterious ways...

sometimes first time cruisers get a nice upgrade ( inside to balcony ) to 'set the hook'

while long time cruisers get nothing but maybe a location 'upgrade' - already caught..

not a pleasant situation when they are together and overhear the 'blue cards'...

You are so right! We tried to hedge our bets and "play the system". My aunt and I are both elite, while my mom and sister are both ruby. I put one cabin in my name (with my sister) and the other cabin in my aunt's name (with my mom). This also allows us to have the free mini-bar in each cabin, plus shareholder credits for my aunt and I. Like you said, I don't know if we got the upgrades because of the elite status, or the newer ruby status. :D I was just hoping for a good location.

Congrats, partybarbie ...hope you and your Mom have a fantastic cruise!!! And happy birthday to her.

Finucane, aka Johnny/Trina, passed on your greetings to us as you encountered each other on a recent cruise. We remember fondly the Old Royal cruise with you.

Thank you so much! That was one of our favorite cruises too! It was so great catching up with Johnny and Trina.

Aren't ungrades the best. We had our first upgrade on the Coral Princess in May from interior to balcony. Don't know why they picked us but we were very grateful.

Sent from my SM-T315T using Tapatalk

I've only had that happen once, and it was an Alaska cruise about twenty years ago. We were hoping for a balcony, but maybe the "Upsell Fairy" will call next, lol. :D

I'm pleased to report that the "Upgrade Fairy" is alive and well. For our upcoming cruise to Alaska, on the Grand Princess, we just received a free upgrade from a category IF (lowest inside cabin) to an OW (obstructed ocean-view). I booked two rooms for the four of us. Both cabins were upgraded, and are next to each other. It's my mom's first cruise to Alaska, and her 75th birthday, so we are all pretty happy, even though it's not a suite. ;)

Great news. Your mom should appreciate the light and view! Especially for her first cruise to Alaska!

Enjoy your cruise!

Congrats on the upgrade! What a nice way to celebrate Mom's birthday! Out of curiosity, was your cruise booked directly with Princess or through a TA?

We booked through a TA. Their on-line price was $50.00 cheaper, per person, than the Princess website. They also gave us a shipboard credit of $60.00 per person. I normally book directly with Princess, but I may be re-thinking that on future cruises.

Thank you to everyone for the congratulations and birthday wishes. My aunt, sister, and I have all kinds of little surprises and gifts planned for my mom. This upgrade was just the "icing on the cake". :) I'm so grateful that we are all able to do this cruise.

We got upgraded on our Alaskan cruise from a cheap connecting inside (connecting with relatives) to ocean view at the last minute. We were already in the air on the way there. What I think happened is someone called and wanted two connecting cabins inside and were told none were available. So, they said, they would pass on it. Wait! Let's see what we can do? Viola, we'll move these two couples up if they don't object to not being connecting or together (we didn't) and we can "take care of you, sir." It was on the Dawn and those outside cabins were better than a balcony in my opinion. Huge window so I could sit in my bunny slippers in warmth and see everything those on a balcony were seeing (lol).

Now my BIL who has only cruised about five times has been upgraded all but one time! Carnival, Princess, NCL Once from inside to balcony (NCL). He has gotten so "spoiled" he will say he gets the cheapest cabin because he will be upgraded (lol). We will be cruising with him in September on the Caribbean. We'll see if his luck continues as he has an inside while the rest of us are in balconies.

You are so right! We tried to hedge our bets and "play the system". My aunt and I are both elite, while my mom and sister are both ruby. I put one cabin in my name (with my sister) and the other cabin in my aunt's name (with my mom). This also allows us to have the free mini-bar in each cabin, plus shareholder credits for my aunt and I. Like you said, I don't know if we got the upgrades because of the elite status, or the newer ruby status. :D I was just hoping for a good location.

And with so many Princess newbies sailing to Alaska then probably invitations to the MTP event...have a great 75th birthday cruise celebration! :D

And with so many Princess newbies sailing to Alaska then probably invitations to the MTP event...have a great 75th birthday cruise celebration! :D

My aunt has just over 200 days, so I've got my fingers crossed that she will make the cut, then all four of us can go. I'm almost embarrassed to say that it's a given that I'll at least get to take my mom. ;)

I think we are on the cruise after yours, 6/25/18. This cruise wasn't selling as fast as some of the other ones, possibly because we will be sailing over the Fourth of July holiday. The free upgrades are few and far between these days.

Awesome ....so happy for you. We are also sailing on the Grand to Alaska this year and there are only a few openings in balcony cabins and above ... all the inside and OV cabins have been sold out for months. We booked an obstructed OV and are hoping for an upgrade .. or even an upsell offer. If not, we have a perfectly acceptable cabin booked. And, Alaska is our absolute favorite itinerary!

Congrats on your upgrades.

My aunt has just over 200 days, so I've got my fingers crossed that she will make the cut, then all four of us can go. I'm almost embarrassed to say that it's a given that I'll at least get to take my mom. ;)

Several years ago to Alaska after barely reaching the elite level I was #7 and #3 had 275 days but it was not the lunch on a 7-day cruise. :(

Awesome ....so happy for you. We are also sailing on the Grand to Alaska this year and there are only a few openings in balcony cabins and above ... all the inside and OV cabins have been sold out for months. We booked an obstructed OV and are hoping for an upgrade .. or even an upsell offer. If not, we have a perfectly acceptable cabin booked. And, Alaska is our absolute favorite itinerary!

Congrats on your upgrades.

Thank you so much. I think DH and I have a cruise coming up with you in September? I've been remiss on keeping up with the roll calls. We'll have to exchange Alaska stories then. I have my fingers crossed for you to get a nice upgrade/upsell.

Several years ago to Alaska after barely reaching the elite level I was #7 and #3 had 275 days but it was not the lunch on a 7-day cruise. :(

That sounds like a cruise that my dad and stepmom took to Alaska. My dad said the MTP only had 350 days. :eek:

A lunch would be nice, but it seems that even on the 10-day cruises now, it's only the cocktail party. :(

In Alaska 200 will probably get you invited but you can only bring one guest.

Myself I'm hoping for top 3