Need some smartphone help and assurance...

baxley

I've read many posts on using your phone on a cruise. This is what I've thought I heard....when you get on the ship....turn on "airplane mode". Then you can use your phone for apps, etc. To be careful when you get off ship to be far enough from the ship before calling home so you don't pick up the ship's wifi. Can I make any calls from the ship in airplane mode? Sorry but my husband and I are new to smartphones. Thanks for any help.

Baxley, thanks for asking. I don't have answers to your questions, because your questions are my questions, too. I am also looking for some basic "Smartphone 101" advice. I'm waiting, with you, for responses from our CC friends.

I've read many posts on using your phone on a cruise. This is what I've thought I heard....when you get on the ship....turn on "airplane mode". Then you can use your phone for apps, etc. To be careful when you get off ship to be far enough from the ship before calling home so you don't pick up the ship's wifi. Can I make any calls from the ship in airplane mode? Sorry but my husband and I are new to smartphones. Thanks for any help.

Yes to airplane mode, and then turn wifi back on....open Safari and find the HAL Navigator site. (the mgr of the internet cafe has instructions) It will allow you to text others onboard (free) and peruse the daily activities that are also in the daily paper onboard.

The ship is required to 'turn off' their cell system when they are within a specified distance from land. I cannot remember how far...someone else can chime in. Regardless, you don't have to wander off a ways from the ship to access a land-based cell tower.

If you purchase internet access through the onboard system, you may be able to make wifi calls using an app like Whatsapp, Viber, etc.

Note: Connecting to onboard wifi is free. To access the internet (thru the onboard wifi) is an added $$ item. You cannot do it by accident, the system will tell you if you are about to access the internet and ask for money (it can be added to your onboard account).

If you have done any/all of the above, remember, you are still in Airplane mode and cannot receive or make a cell call. Obviously, if you are ashore and want to make a cell call, you have to leave Airplane Mode.

I actually want to be able to receive calls while on the ship in case of an emergency, so I keep my phone on so it is connected to the ship's cell tower. However, I turn off mobile/cellular data in the settings. You could also turn off risking as well. Of course, the sure fire bet is airplane mode, but I've not done that and haven't had any problems.

I use my phone from the ship all the time when in port. I’m with Verizon. The only problems I have read about are with AT&T. If you look at the connection at the top of your phone when you are in port you will see which provider you are connecting to. If it says “Cellular at Sea” you will know to put it back in Airplane Mode because your phone thinks you’re still at sea.

If your provider is AT&T be very careful if you’re going to Mexico. AT&T has a contract with a Mexican provider and people are reporting astronomical charges on their phone bill. I don’t recall the name you’ll see at the top of your phone. It was something like Mexi-Tel.

We were on Maasdam in April and May, and, to our dismay, discovered that the last few minutes remaining on our Internet package disappeared on disembarkation morning. You should plan on using up all your minutes the night before.

The ship is required to 'turn off' their cell system when they are within a specified distance from land. I cannot remember how far...someone else can chime in.
I think it's not a fixed distance, just whenever they are within range of any shore signal.

All of the carriers are offering various packages that work on cruise ships. AT&T's is 50 dollars for unlimited talk and text for 30 days. This includes pictures sent via text. Carriers also offer international plans at various prices for use in ports. Many are $10 a day, if you have a family share plan. Both of these options are per device, but free you from the ship's prices. If you are using an international plan including data, (part of the $10 a day option) you can tether your phone to an ipad, a PC or another phone. In addition, if you set your phone to enable wifi calling, you can make calls for free when you are connected to an in port wifi signal, such as in terminals. For us, we use the $50 for 30 day "Cruise talk and text" for anything longer than 10 days or so. This is far cheaper than an internet packag on the ship, and keeps us in touch throughout the cruise.

Our phones are in airplane mode and usually in the safe while on board unless we are using them for pictures.

I think one of my husband’s favourite pastimes when in port is looking for free or cheap wifi.;)

Turning off data roaming also limits costs.

We were told years ago to follow the crew in port, they always know the best wifi spots.:)

In airplane mode you can not make or receive calls. You can listen to music on the phone, play solitaire, alarm clock, camera.

I take it out of airplane mode on the ship in ports. It isn’t going to connect to the ship WiFi if you didn’t buy a package. I use the phone the whole port day on and off the ship knowing what my fee is for 24 hours in that country.

What you don’t want to connect with is the ship’s cellular at sea. That’s the $$$

It isn’t going to connect to the ship WiFi if you didn’t buy a package.
That's not true. With the new Navigator system on ships now we have to make a distinction between wifi and internet access. You must connect to the ship's wifi to use the various functions offered by the Navigator but you cannot connect to the internet unless you buy a package.

We use PureTalkUSA as our cellular service provider, which is an MVNO running on AT&T towers. We pay a fixed service fee (about US$25 each) for service and will never have an unexpected extra charge. If the signal is not part of our service, then the phone does not operate on that signal and thus there are no extra charges. We never have to play games with enabling this or disabling that. PureTalkUSA doesn't even have a billing mechanism for extra charges (unless I ask for a higher tier of service).

This allows us to use our phones at will without any concerns. On our last coastal cruise we picked up our usual service while passing by large cities while at sea, with no worries about being charged for the ship's cellular service.

We do use WhatsApp Messenger for wifi calls when traveling in foreign countries, but I would not use this with expensive and slow wifi on a ship.

igraf

I use my phone from the ship all the time when in port. I’m with Verizon. The only problems I have read about are with AT&T. If you look at the connection at the top of your phone when you are in port you will see which provider you are connecting to. If it says “Cellular at Sea” you will know to put it back in Airplane Mode because your phone thinks you’re still at sea.

If your provider is AT&T be very careful if you’re going to Mexico. AT&T has a contract with a Mexican provider and people are reporting astronomical charges on their phone bill. I don’t recall the name you’ll see at the top of your phone. It was something like Mexi-Tel.

I just changed to t-mobile. Free international data and text. Looking forward to having this for my upcoming 57 day trip!

(And yes, I realize this wasn’t the question you asked!).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Note that the days does are extremely slow, so don't expect too much . It's usable, but you're not going to be able to do anything more than social media, email, and maps.

I’m wondering, we only have one foreign stop, Victoria, Ivan live without calling or posting for one day. I have unlimited data so if I can connect to WiFi in town it won’t cost me extra right? On board without the internet package I can still use my phone except no Facebook or gmail. Is that correct?

Wifi internet data is different than cellular data. There are no cellular service charges associated with wifi data.

Your "unlimited" cellular data only works through your native carrier. Roaming data will probably cost extra, but again this would not apply to wifi data.

igraf

I’m wondering, we only have one foreign stop, Victoria, Ivan live without calling or posting for one day. I have unlimited data so if I can connect to WiFi in town it won’t cost me extra right? On board without the internet package I can still use my phone except no Facebook or gmail. Is that correct?

The best thing you can do is contact your service provider and ask them what to do. They are the experts and not those who post on this forum. The best way may well depend upon your provider. Our service provider was very helpful and I've not received a bill for anything while on a cruise.

I think you are confusing a couple of things. You are on a US based plan, yes? Who is your carrier? (that makes a difference) On board with any carrier, unless you are paying for data through the ship's internet, you just need to keep your phone in airplane mode if you don't want any unexpected charges. In port, your phone plan may or may not allow use. If you have Verizon, enable TravelPass before you go. You pay a set fee per 24 hours in a foreign country. Most countries are $10 a day, Canada is free. But you have to have TravelPass on the line. Other carriers charge different rates/fees for foreign use. With Travel Pass you use your phone just as you do at home. Whatever data limits, voice, texting you can do at home you can do in Canada.

If you are only connecting to wifi in port, you don't take your hone out of airplane mode. Just find the wifi you want to connect to.

Wifi use for data is different from your carrier data use.

With your phone in airplane mode onboard, you can use it to take pictures, as a clock, or flashlight, play games that are downloaded. You would not receive calls or texts from friends at home and you could not use gmail mail or Facebook.

If you say who the carrier is someone here will know what their foreign option is.

With your phone in airplane mode onboard, you can use it to take pictures, as a clock, or flashlight, play games that are downloaded. You would not receive calls or texts from friends at home and you could not use gmail mail or Facebook.

Exactly why I say it is important to contact your service provider to get the correct information.

When I contacted mine, I found they recommended just turning off data and not placing the phone in airplane mode. I would still be able to screen calls (no charge if I don't pick up) and texts would be fifty cents to send and five cents to receive. A few texts is not going to bankrupt me and this allows for the receipt of emergency information. Put your phone in airplane mode and you've turned it into a very fancy brick.

This varies by service provider which is why I hesitate to tell someone how to manage their phone. I do not wish to be responsible for providing information that, should it be incorrect, costs them money.

Or one can buy a cup of coffee and use the free wifi at a cafe.

I disagree with your last statement. One can do a lot in airplane mode. Taking photos and navigating with an offline map program come to mind. One can do even more with wifi enabled and cellular service disabled, including making phone calls.

igraf

Exactly why I say it is important to contact your service provider to get the correct information.

When I contacted mine, I found they recommended just turning off data and not placing the phone in airplane mode. I would still be able to screen calls (no charge if I don't pick up) and texts would be fifty cents to send and five cents to receive. A few texts is not going to bankrupt me and this allows for the receipt of emergency information. Put your phone in airplane mode and you've turned it into a very fancy brick.

This varies by service provider which is why I hesitate to tell someone how to manage their phone. I do not wish to be responsible for providing information that, should it be incorrect, costs them money.

I think I saw downstream that you have Verizon? Check their website for travel plans and make sure you end up on the page with fields for which ship and where it's going. Flat per day charge for any day you use the phone in port and you get your usual plan allowances. At sea it charges per minute and per text message. Verizon says they block all data while you're connecting at sea but I didn't test that. I turned off data on my phone in settings.

I have a parent who is in good health but quite elderly and home alone with me gone so I called every day to chat. Went fine with no surprise charges.

Or one can buy a cup of coffee and use the free wifi at a cafe.

I disagree with your last statement. One can do a lot in airplane mode. Taking photos and navigating with an offline map program come to mind. One can do even more with wifi enabled and cellular service disabled, including making phone calls.

igraf

You can also use your "brick" to keep your napkin from blowing away while at the cafe.

The fact remains that one should consult with their service provider before relying upon anonymous internet posters.

Anything I say here can be independently verified. I travel to Chile on business and enjoy good quality video calls with my wife and friends back home using WhatsApp Messenger. It is better than using my cellular voice calls back home! How much does that cost me? Not a single cent. In my case, I do have access to wifi both at my lodging and workplace while in Chile.

Power to you if you prefer to pay 50 cents per text and who knows what for roaming cellular data or voice calls to the USA while traveling.

igraf

You can also use your "brick" to keep your napkin from blowing away while at the cafe.

The fact remains that one should consult with their service provider before relying upon anonymous internet posters.

Anything I say here can be independently verified. I travel to Chile on business and enjoy good quality video calls with my wife and friends back home using WhatsApp Messenger. It is better than using my cellular voice calls back home! How much does that cost me? Not a single cent. In my case, I do have access to wifi both at my lodging and workplace while in Chile.

Power to you if you prefer to pay 50 cents per text and who knows what for roaming cellular data or voice calls to the USA while traveling.

igraf

I've yet to receive any charges for cellular data or voice calls to the USA since I follow the recommendations from my service provider.

All I'm saying is this: rather than rely upon hearsay from some anonymous internet poster, OP would be best advised to contact his service provider for specific and trustworthy recommendations.