Balcony Hacks

I've seen a lot of threads on CC about cabin hacks (magnetic walls, hanging organizers, etc...), but don't recall seeing one on balcony hacks. Maybe there aren't any that are within the rules. But if you have a neat idea for enhancing your enjoyment on the balcony, post here, please. Please, nothing that is against safety regulations. I don't want this thread to get derailed before the first page is filled. Thanks.

Small thing I like to do is to pack a few clothespins. We lay our wet swimsuits/ damp cover-ups over the back of the chairs and pin them in place. They dry MUCH faster there with the moving air and sunshine than over the clothesline in the cabin shower. Without the clothespins, I have had the wind knock our things to lay in a heap on the ground.

It’s a great place to quickly dry swimsuits so they’re nice and warm and dry for the next day. Nothing is worse than a cold wet swimsuit. We bring our beach towel clips to clip them onto the chairs in case it’s windy. We also like to bring a couple bottles of wine on board just for sipping on the balcony while watching for dolphins, during sail away, or watching for pier runners. We also sometimes bring along the portable camping chairs that fold up into the canvas bag that has a strap on it so you can sling it over your shoulder. We have a small rolling carry on that we slide the strap over and just wheel it along. If there’s 4 of us it’s used for extra seating (the little table is the forth seat for my teenaged daughter.) If it’s just the two of us we use it to prop our feet up on (on the balcony.) And it’s really handy for ports where we hang out at the beach and need extra seating without paying for extra seats that we won’t use much because we’re in the water most of the time.

I've seen a lot of threads on CC about cabin hacks (magnetic walls, hanging organizers, etc...), but don't recall seeing one on balcony hacks. Maybe there aren't any that are within the rules. But if you have a neat idea for enhancing your enjoyment on the balcony, post here, please. Please, nothing that is against safety regulations. I don't want this thread to get derailed before the first page is filled. Thanks.

I don't know if it's against regulations but I have seen pics of hammocks.

I don't know if it's against regulations but I have seen pics of hammocks.
I don't know if hammocks are against regulations or not either. It's a great idea if it isn't. Now that I think about it, it probably is. Understandably, they frown on anything on the balcony that could possibly catch fire.

I don't know if hammocks are against regulations or not either. It's a great idea if it isn't. Now that I think about it, it probably is. Understandably, they frown on anything on the balcony that could possibly catch fire.

It wouldn't be a hack anymore. But the ships could supply guests with fire resistant hammocks, and some decent hooks on the ceiling to get them hanging without breaking a divider.

Not sure if this would qualify as a "hack", but it does enhance our enjoyment of our balcony. I bring a bag of M&M's (the peanut butter ones are my favorite) to snack on while we're sitting on our balcony. It's a cruise tradition for us. We also bring a pair of binoculars to get a closer look at any ships we see in the distance.

It wouldn't be a hack anymore. But the ships could supply guests with fire resistant hammocks, and some decent hooks on the ceiling to get them hanging without breaking a divider.

They could even rent them and make a few bucks.

Not sure if this would qualify as a "hack", but it does enhance our enjoyment of our balcony. I bring a bag of M&M's (the peanut butter ones are my favorite) to snack on while we're sitting on our balcony. It's a cruise tradition for us. We also bring a pair of binoculars to get a closer look at any ships we see in the distance.
I like the binoculars idea. I've meant to do it before, but forgot them. We like to watch for flying fish.

When i was on the vista last year they had hanging chairs outside some rooms. I noted scratches and damage to walls nearby. I think they will be a thing of the past in a few years.

Havana Cabins on the Vista has them

Having four to a balcony room, we used the 2 chairs provided, the vanity (desk) chair and brought along this chair that when packed up, fit in my suitcase. More comfortable than sitting on the metal deck table.

https://www.amazon.com/G4Free-Lightweight-Portable-Outdoor-Backpacking/dp/B073W3H74D/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1528591363&sr=8-5&keywords=lightweight+portable+chair

It’s balcony for us or we dont go! We save months ahead:cool: Love 2 things

Breakfast on balcony and

Watching the ocean, moon, stars . The one thing that can make this impossible is that some ships seem....all different lines too, some have balcony lights, some don’t

But the worst are the ones you cannot turn off! Ruined the view a couple of times :eek:

With a 600 lb maximum weight load?

I've had several aft-wraps and recommend getting a plastic ice bucket from a bar to dump water on the aft portion of the deck (well, the whole deck if you have just have an aft-extended), as it gets so hot you cannot walk on it barefoot.

I've had several aft-wraps and recommend getting a plastic ice bucket from a bar to dump water on the aft portion of the deck (well, the whole deck if you have just have an aft-extended), as it gets so hot you cannot walk on it barefoot.

There is another option (sort of). If you can anchor down a couple of beach towels so they don't blow away, you'll have some impromptu carpeting to protect your bare feet.

Another vote for binoculars :) We also enjoy wine on our balcony.

I like the thought of elevating the seat - might try that.

We also request robes and an extra hand towel. I wipe down the railing with the towel and the robe gives a clean place to sit while keeping the beach towels clean for pool/excursions.

If you are coming into a port and want to get some pictures leave your camera outside for a few minutes before you arrive at the dock. Even the best DSLR's and point and shoot cameras fog.

I carry my VHF Marine radio with me and listen in to the pilot and harbor traffic. We cruised to Canada from Boston a few years back and it was busy most of the trip. I keep the volume low as to not bother others or leave in inside the cabin.

Another vote for binoculars. We have a inexpensive pair that never leave the rolling bag.

Bubbles! I get some for every cruise and share with others. We've had a blast with them at slower speeds leaving port.

Edited by BallFour4

Bring a mid size bungee, to keep the door open!

I think faster than I read, so before I saw "to keep the door open" I thought, oh no bad idea!!! And of course had a visual of some drunk idiot bungee jumping off the balcony lol