Power Strip

I'm simply going to bring a two-prong extension cord solely for the use of both of our phone chargers for under the bed. From my understanding on the Harmony ship, there is one outlet (single plug) on the side of the bed, so I'll just have the cord plugged into that and the other end under the bed, then our 10' usb cords plugged into that under the bed.

Question: Are the beds on Harmony easily accessible underneath?

You would think that the ships would be built so that the cabins didn't have any 3 prong plugs. They would all be 2 prong hence no grounding can take place.

I do have a question though, if 3 prong plugs are not allowed, how does one charge their MacBook laptops?

You would think that the ships would be built so that the cabins didn't have any 3 prong plugs. They would all be 2 prong hence no grounding can take place.

Then there would be a loss of safety that the grounding pin provides.

Thanks Chief, yet another one of your posts I'm saving in my marine technical database.:)

Chief is our own Neil deGrasse Tyson of cruise ship science

The ability to take techno babble and break it down to every day speak

I do have a question though, if 3 prong plugs are not allowed, how does one charge their MacBook laptops?

Again, it is not that 3 prong plugs are "bad" or that grounding your devices is "bad". Don't misunderstand what I've said. Power appliances like hair dryers, curling irons, and laptops use a 3 prong plug to provide the safety of a ground connection should the device have an insulation failure to prevent a shock. The ground on the ship works the same way the ground on land does, so the 3rd prong is necessary for safety.

You will also see that I rebutted the poster who claimed that all 3 prong plugged devices were surge protected. That is not correct. What I have been saying is that if you bring a device that only has a two prong plug, then you don't have to worry whether it is surge protected, because it can't be. However, note carefully my next statement. Just because a device has a 3 prong plug does not mean it is surge protected. A device with a 3 prong plug may or may not be surge protected. The only way to tell if a device is surge protected is to look for a specification of "joules of protection" or "clamping voltage" on the device or its packaging. Lacking these terms, the device even with a 3 prong plug is not surge protected.

So, to answer your question directly, 3 prong plugs are not prohibited, they are preferred, it is surge protection that is prohibited, and this cannot be determined by the number of pins on the plug.

The thing is, that USB chargers have no problem. I have yet to find a multi-USB charger (from one to 7 ports) that has any surge protection. It is only those items that combine power outlets with USB ports, or simple power strips that will have surge protection. Newer ships are incorporating USB ports in the cabins, and many ships are now renewing the bedside lamps to include USB ports.

Thanks for the information about USB chargers. That’s all I really need anyway. Great to hear that they updating the ships as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Chengkp75- is there one that you would recommend? I'm not going to be using the ones I have due to the fire risk that I had no idea was a issue. I am now a little unsure if I buy one that says it isn't a surge protected. But is it really. Hoping that you may post a safe for a cruise power strip. Thank you for informing me.

Chengkp75- is there one that you would recommend? I'm not going to be using the ones I have due to the fire risk that I had no idea was a issue. I am now a little unsure if I buy one that says it isn't a surge protected. But is it really. Hoping that you may post a safe for a cruise power strip. Thank you for informing me.

The question is, what are you planning on using it for? If you are only going to charge electronics that use a USB cube, leave the cubes at home, bring the wires and get a multi-USB charger (I've seen up to seven USB ports on one, could be more), but one that does not have any power (110v) outlets on it. These are almost invariably equipped with a two prong plug, and as noted these cannot be surge protected. Now, if you need more power outlets (multiple hair appliances (really? at same time? :D), laptop, CPAP, etc, then get an inexpensive power strip from Dollar store or Home Depot. Something in the $3-4 range. Look at the packaging or the back of the power strip bar to see if it says "joules rating", or "joules protection" or "clamping voltage". If none of these terms are present, the strip is not surge protected. This power strip can have a 3 prong plug and 3 prong outlets, and be perfectly safe.

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJNR9LM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I normally plug it into one of the Euro outlets. It provides 2x USB charge ports. And then I can plug in anothe r2 or 4 port USB charger. That way muy SO and I can charge all our devices, and keep the US outlets free if we want to use them.

Thank You Chengkp75. Outlets are what I need the most. Having 4 GoPro batteries, GoPro Gimbal, 3 DSLR camera batteries and a laptop. I find that charging at night I'm short 3 outlets. I now know what to look for. Thank You again and Happy Sailing!!!!

Ours was confiscated when we boarded.

Go with something like this ...

c778ad73-4964-45a9-ba7b-aaefa966274e_1.1168046cd65fb520a3cc7ed9dc3c6a8c.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

GoGreen Power 16/3 8' 3-Outlet Extension Cord

Less than $6 at Walmart and any idiot can see that it is not surge protected.

Though the neighbors may complain about the noise and want a refund.:')

And I'll complain someone's "Smoking" on their Balcony... After 26 years in the Army, sound of a Generator is white noise to me, I sleep like a baby...

Thanks for all of the detail, that is really helpful. It's clear this is the product I'll bring with me on my next cruise.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3800-Watt-Portable-Generator-Electric/dp/B00VFDJGCE/

:')

-germ

Well, I don't think it's on the prohibited list.

Kind of useless without gas though...

as "Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks" are on the prohibited list. :cool:

Kind of useless without gas though...

as "Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks" are on the prohibited list. :cool:

Perhaps if the poster would make a request to Special Needs, the ship people might deliver some fuel? Sort of like when they deliver distilled water.

The question is, what are you planning on using it for? If you are only going to charge electronics that use a USB cube, leave the cubes at home, bring the wires and get a multi-USB charger (I've seen up to seven USB ports on one, could be more), but one that does not have any power (110v) outlets on it. These are almost invariably equipped with a two prong plug, and as noted these cannot be surge protected. Now, if you need more power outlets (multiple hair appliances (really? at same time? :D), laptop, CPAP, etc, then get an inexpensive power strip from Dollar store or Home Depot. Something in the $3-4 range. Look at the packaging or the back of the power strip bar to see if it says "joules rating", or "joules protection" or "clamping voltage". If none of these terms are present, the strip is not surge protected. This power strip can have a 3 prong plug and 3 prong outlets, and be perfectly safe.

This is the one I'm saving, thanks Chief!

Look at the packaging or the back of the power strip bar to see if it says "joules rating", or "joules protection" or "clamping voltage". If none of these terms are present, the strip is not surge protected.

Thank you for all this information, I had never thought about this, because we do not normally bring an extension cord or anything. We usually manage ok by just switching out devices, and last year my sister brought a multi-USB thing. But this year, we are sailing from Southampton and will be spending time in the UK before and after the cruise. Since we need an adaptor, and my DH is planning to bring his MacBook, we purchased this: https://oneadaptr.com/collections/oneadpatr/products/twist-plus-world-adapter-duo

The specs say it has "built in fuse protection." Is that the same thing as the terms you mentioned that indicate it's surge protected? We can just not use it on the ship since we will have American outlets, but since it cost $40 and we need it after the cruise, I don't want to have it confiscated and not returned.

SaveSave

Thank you for all this information, I had never thought about this, because we do not normally bring an extension cord or anything. We usually manage ok by just switching out devices, and last year my sister brought a multi-USB thing. But this year, we are sailing from Southampton and will be spending time in the UK before and after the cruise. Since we need an adaptor, and my DH is planning to bring his MacBook, we purchased this: https://oneadaptr.com/collections/oneadpatr/products/twist-plus-world-adapter-duo

The specs say it has "built in fuse protection." Is that the same thing as the terms you mentioned that indicate it's surge protected? We can just not use it on the ship since we will have American outlets, but since it cost $40 and we need it after the cruise, I don't want to have it confiscated and not returned.

SaveSave

No, fuse protection is the same as your circuit breakers in your home, it cuts off when there is too much current. Surge protection defends against too much voltage.

I looked at the manufacturer's site, and couldn't see any specification for this product that gives me any inkling that it is surge protected, and given that they have other products (the "stack" family) that are surge protected, and prominently mentioned, I would say this is not surge protected. If there is nothing on the packaging (if you still have it) mentioning "joules", or if you want to be doubly sure you can email them direct and ask.

Most items taken at embarkation are returned at the end of the cruise, unless it is in obviously poor condition.

Power strips of any kind are no longer allowed on Royal Caribbean. They took ours away stating it's a new policy, that just went into effect. It doesn't matter if it does not have surge protection.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Power strips of any kind are no longer allowed on Royal Caribbean. They took ours away stating it's a new policy, that just went into effect. It doesn't matter if it does not have surge protection.

At what port did this occur?

We had ours taken away sailing from Galveston. Fortunately, we had a really great cabin steward who asked, with a lot of head movement and blinking, if we needed one for our C-PAP. He got a good tip at the end of the cruise.

Will extension cords still be allowed? I have a white noise maker that I like near my head.