Medical emergency Epic help needed urgently

ellie1145

Isn't it funny how different families are?

I'm 51 with a 25 year old daughter and a 71 year old mother. I would be HORRIFIED if my parents flew to me in such a situation, and my daughter would be equally horrified if I flew to her. Best to be calm and on the ground in the UK when the daughter arrives, to lend help with the baby and decide next steps.

The daughter's voice is really missing from this story. Does she REALLY want her parents to rush to her aid? She's a grown woman with a baby and therefore surely capable of keeping her head in an emergency. I wish that the daughter would come post an update, it would be super interesting.

Agreed! I don’t know if I’m just fiercely independent, but it would never occur to me that my mom should fly out to help me with my baby, unless I was the one in the hospital! However, all families are different, so I’m sure the OP made the choice that is best for her family. I hope everything is working out okay!

I have been too busy to update you on the situation but will do so now.

Thank you so much for the information and kind wishes. It's been most helpful.

They did not operate until late Thursday afternoon. MIL lay immobile up to that point, and each day it was nil by mouth. They also did not get her up until nearly 24 hours after the operation despite saying they would get her up the same day. We know there are dangers associated with someone of any age being left immobile for this length of time with such an injury. I am not a medic but I am sure that, had she been admitted to A and E at a London hospital she would have been operated on by now.

I will update briefly for the benefit of those very kind people who have offered support and advice. For those who just wish to abuse us and our family I would say enjoy yourselves if it gives you pleasure to comment in a derogatory way about people you don't know. I won't bother to read any more of your comments, but despite that, I hope nothing like this ever happens to you.

We are home, and we will never regret flying out to help our daughter and grandson to get home from Rome. The look on our grandson's face was enough to tell us that we did the right thing. All families are different, and deal with situations as they see fit. We did what WE felt was right. Nobody else is forced to do the same. We were able to change the names on their return flights so my DH and I could use them in place of SIL and MIL.

As both husband and MIL were evacuated by helicopter most of their belongings were left behind. So daughter had 3 large suitcases, hand luggage including a trunky etc and a toddler and buggy to handle on her own.

Yes, before someone else jumps in and comments that THEIR daughter could have done it, it was NOT a normal situation where a single mother would have planned to take the minimum, in order to facilitate transfers etc, after all, she DID have a husband to help at the start, and packed accordingly. She was one person dealing with 4 people's paraphernalia. Rome airport was manic too, with long distances to gates etc.and hordes of people.

We did not fly out because our daughter was a weak gibbering wreck, we flew out because we are caring people and she needed help with luggage etc. How relevant is it, and why does it actually matter to you that YOUR daughter wouldn't have wanted you to fly out to help? I wasn't suggesting that anyone else should do what we did. We would do it exactly the same way again. But hey, at least these people can wallow in self satisfied smugness at their superhuman offspring, or maybe they should just wait until they are in EXACTLY the same situation before they make derogatory comments about our daughter.

Incidentally, for those who don't have experience of Gatwick, buggies are not available until baggage reclaim which is a very long way from the gate, and entails a long walk and going up and down two huge escalators. Our grandson had fallen asleep from sheer exhaustion so she had to carry him all the way there whilst we took all the rest of the hand luggage. She physically could not have managed everything on her own. Incidentally, we now know that, in this situation, backpacks are invaluable.

As for flying with all this luggage, including 3 large suitcases, to Barcelona to be beside her husband, that would have been absurd. Far better to get home with her toddler son so we could take over his care, leaving her free to do whatever was necessary. A foreign hospital is no place for an active toddler. Our SIL is a strong capable person and is dealing with the situation to the best of his ability, and certainly saved her from further injury when the ship tried to move her on the wrong sort of stretcher - with his paramedic training he knew to stop them.

Thankfully, they do ALL have travel insurance and the insurers have now sorted out a hotel close to the hospital for him to sleep in, and will be organising MILs repatriation. The first night he sat in a chair all night. We would never ever consider any holiday without insurance. To do so is extremely risky. I would beseech anyone going on a cruise or any vacation to bite the bullet and take out insurance. It is often a requirement when booking a vacation from the UK that insurance is taken out.

Having seen Americans on cruise ships linked up to oxygen tanks and in wheelchairs, the comment that she should not have gone on a cruise is ridiculous, and typical of people who make comments without knowing all the facts. She had been an active and independent lady before this accident, but she's not a spring chicken. She was on medication for her heart condition which was under control. THIS accident has made her frail. She was not frail before it happened.

We are hoping that MIL will be flown home on Wednesday. What happens then we don't know. Hopefully she will be able to find a bed in a local hospital as she will need physio etc.

The Foreign Office have been helpful and although they are pretty powerless to actually do anything, the Vice Consul has kept in contact with our SIL.

It has been a steep learning curve. I hope that maybe something from our experience will help someone else in the future.

Thank you all.

OP - you forgot to add..."*Drops the mike..."

Great response to the online "experts" who are dictating what you and your daughter should and should not be doing in this situation.

I can't imagine having to handle a toddler and all of that luggage in a foreign country on my own. Your daughter is so lucky to have you to come to her aid and just lend some additional emotional support. Anyone commenting otherwise has never been in your daughter's situation. And falls can happen to anyone, regardless of age and physical condition.

Thank you for sharing this on here - I believe it will help others think about precautions that they might need to take when traveling - especially outside of their home country.

Best wishes for your daughter's MIL's recovery.

Thank you for posting your story. Reading about these kinds of issues helps us to consider how we might proceed if we were in your situation. It is also interesting to know how a foreign country's medical system might react and help/not help.

You did the right thing.

Glad to hear that things are working out.

So very sorry you had to see those Americans on cruise ships linked up to oxygen tanks and in wheelchairs.:confused:

Whats the issue with Wheelchairs and oxygen tanks - loads of them seem on ships.

They did not operate until late Thursday afternoon. MIL lay immobile up to that point, and each day it was nil by mouth. They also did not get her up until nearly 24 hours after the operation despite saying they would get her up the same day. We know there are dangers associated with someone of any age being left immobile for this length of time with such an injury. I am not a medic but I am sure that, had she been admitted to A and E at a London hospital she would have been operated on by now.

I will update briefly for the benefit of those very kind people who have offered support and advice. For those who just wish to abuse us and our family I would say enjoy yourselves if it gives you pleasure to comment in a derogatory way about people you don't know. I won't bother to read any more of your comments, but despite that, I hope nothing like this ever happens to you.

We are home, and we will never regret flying out to help our daughter and grandson to get home from Rome. The look on our grandson's face was enough to tell us that we did the right thing. All families are different, and deal with situations as they see fit. We did what WE felt was right. Nobody else is forced to do the same. We were able to change the names on their return flights so my DH and I could use them in place of SIL and MIL.

As both husband and MIL were evacuated by helicopter most of their belongings were left behind. So daughter had 3 large suitcases, hand luggage including a trunky etc and a toddler and buggy to handle on her own.

Yes, before someone else jumps in and comments that THEIR daughter could have done it, it was NOT a normal situation where a single mother would have planned to take the minimum, in order to facilitate transfers etc, after all, she DID have a husband to help at the start, and packed accordingly. She was one person dealing with 4 people's paraphernalia. Rome airport was manic too, with long distances to gates etc.and hordes of people.

We did not fly out because our daughter was a weak gibbering wreck, we flew out because we are caring people and she needed help with luggage etc. How relevant is it, and why does it actually matter to you that YOUR daughter wouldn't have wanted you to fly out to help? I wasn't suggesting that anyone else should do what we did. We would do it exactly the same way again. But hey, at least these people can wallow in self satisfied smugness at their superhuman offspring, or maybe they should just wait until they are in EXACTLY the same situation before they make derogatory comments about our daughter.

Incidentally, for those who don't have experience of Gatwick, buggies are not available until baggage reclaim which is a very long way from the gate, and entails a long walk and going up and down two huge escalators. Our grandson had fallen asleep from sheer exhaustion so she had to carry him all the way there whilst we took all the rest of the hand luggage. She physically could not have managed everything on her own. Incidentally, we now know that, in this situation, backpacks are invaluable.

As for flying with all this luggage, including 3 large suitcases, to Barcelona to be beside her husband, that would have been absurd. Far better to get home with her toddler son so we could take over his care, leaving her free to do whatever was necessary. A foreign hospital is no place for an active toddler. Our SIL is a strong capable person and is dealing with the situation to the best of his ability, and certainly saved her from further injury when the ship tried to move her on the wrong sort of stretcher - with his paramedic training he knew to stop them.

Thankfully, they do ALL have travel insurance and the insurers have now sorted out a hotel close to the hospital for him to sleep in, and will be organising MILs repatriation. The first night he sat in a chair all night. We would never ever consider any holiday without insurance. To do so is extremely risky. I would beseech anyone going on a cruise or any vacation to bite the bullet and take out insurance. It is often a requirement when booking a vacation from the UK that insurance is taken out.

Having seen Americans on cruise ships linked up to oxygen tanks and in wheelchairs, the comment that she should not have gone on a cruise is ridiculous, and typical of people who make comments without knowing all the facts. She had been an active and independent lady before this accident, but she's not a spring chicken. She was on medication for her heart condition which was under control. THIS accident has made her frail. She was not frail before it happened.

We are hoping that MIL will be flown home on Wednesday. What happens then we don't know. Hopefully she will be able to find a bed in a local hospital as she will need physio etc.

The Foreign Office have been helpful and although they are pretty powerless to actually do anything, the Vice Consul has kept in contact with our SIL.

It has been a steep learning curve. I hope that maybe something from our experience will help someone else in the future.

Thank you all.

Most of all glad things seem to be sorting the selves FO will be as good a nothing they can not do anything.

I so understand the comments about LGW

What part of UK are you from even the county.... it will help with hospital and you dear MIL

Whats the issue with Wheelchairs and oxygen tanks - loads of them seem on ships.

Exactly. The OP was making the point that while some of the compassion-challenged posters on here seemed critical of the fact that the MIL was even on a cruise ship, the MIL was in fact a very active person till this accident whereas there are plenty of people cruising who are not (as your comment notes).

OP: thank you for the detailed update, and wishing a speedy and successful recovery for your daughter's MIL.

Thank you all.

Thank you for the update. We are also a very close knit family. I would have done the same for my daughter, and my parents the same for me. That is what families do, and I wouldn't dream of it being any other way! Your daughter and grandson (and son-in-law) are very lucky to have such a loving family to support them!

I hope MIL continues to heal.

To the OP, best wishes to your family & hoping for a speedy recovery for your daughter's MIL.

That said, I do think there are lessons learned here for all. Aside from the obvious of making sure to purchase travel insurance, I think it's important for folks to make sure they are leveraging NCL (or whatever cruise line) personnel for any assistance needed.

I am not trying to defend those who made what seems like judgmental comments, however this topic was started with the headline "Emergency Medical Help Needed" which led people to believe that the OP was looking to an online forum to solve what the NCL team (onshore/offshore) should be addressing. I get that the daughter was probably besides herself and wasn't thinking straight but, especially after a medivac, I would have been leaning HEAVILY on NCL every step of the way. They wouldn't have been able to ignore or neglect me LOL. I would have been parked at Guest Services or called the Hotel Director directly for whatever support I needed.

Honestly, it is hard for me to imagine that NCL was not doing everything possible to help (based on my own experiences with them on much lesser issues!) But on the chance that they were not stepping up, I would not have just tried to get by on my own while my mom posted online for help. I am not judging anyone. I am just stressing that in these situations there are professionals standing by to provide assistance, and we need to leverage that even if it takes making a bit of noise.

And while I am also on the side of the fence of those who would not want their mom to fly in to help (I would then have my mom to worry about LOL), everyone is different and has a different level of confidence. I know people who won't go to the doctor alone, or are too timid to get on the phone to order a pizza. Doesn't mean they are weak, they just have a different make-up. The daughter being so upset was probably upsetting the grandson and the grandmom was upset at being far away when the daughter was in distress and so it was clearly best for all that they did what they did.

But the lesson for the rest of is to try not panic and get yourselves to Guest Services and INSIST on getting the support you need!

I think it’s a fair enough dig, and really probably most of the people in scooters with oxygen on ships are Americans, we do have probably people in the worst state of health of any western country!

To the OP, best wishes to your family & hoping for a speedy recovery for your daughter's MIL.

That said, I do think there are lessons learned here for all. Aside from the obvious of making sure to purchase travel insurance, I think it's important for folks to make sure they are leveraging NCL (or whatever cruise line) personnel for any assistance needed.

I am not trying to defend those who made what seems like judgmental comments, however this topic was started with the headline "Emergency Medical Help Needed" which led people to believe that the OP was looking to an online forum to solve what the NCL team (onshore/offshore) should be addressing. I get that the daughter was probably besides herself and wasn't thinking straight but, especially after a medivac, I would have been leaning HEAVILY on NCL every step of the way. They wouldn't have been able to ignore or neglect me LOL. I would have been parked at Guest Services or called the Hotel Director directly for whatever support I needed.

Honestly, it is hard for me to imagine that NCL was not doing everything possible to help (based on my own experiences with them on much lesser issues!) But on the chance that they were not stepping up, I would not have just tried to get by on my own while my mom posted online for help. I am not judging anyone. I am just stressing that in these situations there are professionals standing by to provide assistance, and we need to leverage that even if it takes making a bit of noise.

And while I am also on the side of the fence of those who would not want their mom to fly in to help (I would then have my mom to worry about LOL), everyone is different and has a different level of confidence. I know people who won't go to the doctor alone, or are too timid to get on the phone to order a pizza. Doesn't mean they are weak, they just have a different make-up. The daughter being so upset was probably upsetting the grandson and the grandmom was upset at being far away when the daughter was in distress and so it was clearly best for all that they did what they did.

But the lesson for the rest of is to try not panic and get yourselves to Guest Services and INSIST on getting the support you need!

Yes lots to be learned. I hope the MIL gets back to the UK soon, it all sounds unpleasant! I think many of us readers were confused as to what was going on and not knowing what was being done on the ship

Glad to hear that things are working out.

So very sorry you had to see those Americans on cruise ships linked up to oxygen tanks and in wheelchairs.:confused:

Please don't be sorry. I think it's wonderful that people are still able to cruise despite considerable health problems. Long may they do so! It's courageous. I love cruising and this won't stop me from going (though I may be even more careful than we are already).

As for the title of my thread I apologise if it was in any way misleading. I was not asking for medical help, just for any advice from those who might have experienced a similar occurrence. If it came across wrong then blame the fact that I had 100 other things going on and maybe I wasn't thinking clearly. I did not say MEDICAL HELP NEEDED URGENTLY. That is just some peoples interpretation. As it happens I DID get some very useful information, and the kindness and support from many of you on CC was heartwarming.

As far as NCL are concerned, that night we were on the phone to every number we could find, speaking to Miami and also trying to talk to the UK. Getting through to someone in NCL who could or would help was very difficult. Unfortunately offices were closed and I wasn't able to talk to anyone who could help until the next day, and even that took several calls. NCL did NOT step up to the mark until much later, and you can choose to believe this or not. It's no use saying what your experience was and how wonderful they were, it really has no relevance, and in this situation they were less than helpful, until a meeting was arranged 2 days later.

Should anyone need help from the UK offices we do now have a name and contact number which we would be happy to post, but it took a great deal of time to reach the right person.

I think that is all I want to say. I hope it may be of help to someone in the future and I'm glad it's given some people the chance to vent their spleen criticising me, my daughter and my family for just being caring people. If being self satisfied and critical makes you feel better then so be it. We certainly won't change.

As I've said before, I hope nobody who has read this thread will ever have to go through such an experience. We have cruised ourselves over 60 times and have seen our fair share of medical emergencies, evacuations and ships turning round. Our only thoughts at the time were thank goodness it's not us, please god they are ok, and how awful it must have been for those concerned and their families.

Enough said.

As far as NCL are concerned, that night we were on the phone to every number we could find, speaking to Miami and also trying to talk to the UK. Getting through to someone in NCL who could or would help was very difficult. Unfortunately offices were closed and I wasn't able to talk to anyone who could help until the next day, and even that took several calls. NCL did NOT step up to the mark until much later, and you can choose to believe this or not. It's no use saying what your experience was and how wonderful they were, it really has no relevance, and in this situation they were less than helpful, until a meeting was arranged 2 days later.

This is what is so surprising to me and I'm shocked that if (you have never said if she talked with the Hotel Director onboard the ship and was told there would be no help) your daughter asked for help on the ship, NCL didn't step up to the plate. I'm sorely disappointed if the Hotel Director denied someone in need help and, if this is correct, a strongly written letter to NCL corporate is in order.

I am not trying to defend those who made what seems like judgmental comments, however this topic was started with the headline "Emergency Medical Help Needed" which led people to believe that the OP was looking to an online forum to solve what the NCL team (onshore/offshore) should be addressing. !

Thank you for your kind wishes.

Please reread the title of my thread. It does not say Emergency Medical Help Needed. I have not asked for medical help. Though reading some people's experiences has certainly been informative.

We had to make very quick decisions about how my daughter and little grandson were going to get home safely, bearing in mind all the luggage etc she had to deal with. Luckily we COULD fly out and help as we are relatively near, just 2 hours by plane. She doesn't have time to post on here, she has had to go back to work today. But she WAS very pleased to see us, I can assure you, and it was a great relief to my SIL that there was someone to see them both home safely.

And the reason we tend to see Americans in wheelchairs is that we mainly cruise the Caribbean on ships where the majority of passengers ARE American. For a Brit in a wheelchair on oxygen to cross the Atlantic it would be pretty difficult, though probably possible, but I doubt that many insurers would be prepared to take such a risk on, at least at a price that was affordable. Several years ago we cruised with dear friends whose husband had had a triple by-pass and their insurance was £1200 (approx $1600) Luckily they could afford it.

Edited by ellie1145

The one thing I would not worry about in Spain is translation issues, especially in a hospital in a large city.

It sounds like the lady fell after they left Barcelona. Medivac is probably much quicker than turning the ship around. Unfortunately they really can't take passengers on the helo.

I was on the ship. They did turn around and headed back to barcelona to meet Medivac.

I hope it won’t be much longer before the whole family is safely home and get take a collective deep breath.

Being left aboard with all of the luggage plus a small child would be a nightmare.

I have a hard time managing my own.

MIL will have a long recovery, but I hope it goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please do clarify this. Are you saying that your daughter went to Guest Services and/or contacted the Hotel Director or his staff while ON the ship and was refused assistance?

I am confused as to why someone on land was trying to call shoreside NCL offices to assist with a situation occuring onboard? Did you actually call the ship?

my daughter has phoned to say her 77 year old mother has had a bad fall on a wet staircase. She has broken her leg severely near the hip. They are airlifting her to Barcelona and not turning the ship round. They left Palma today and have a day at sea before Naples

They say her son can't go with her so she will be alone and can't speak Spanish.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received please!

We are willing to fly out to her of course.

My daughter has our 2 year old grandson with her.

So sorry but why was she on a staircase.

So glad everything is working out. I would like to note that just because some say they would not fly out to their adult child or that as that adult child they would not want anyone to fly out does NOT mean they are not from a caring or close family. Judgmental remarks have cut both ways on this thread.

My daughter is my everything but I would not hop on a plane unless she stated she really needed me. And not everyone has the finances to hop on a plane last minute. You should consider yourself very blessed to have that option.

Your follow up is very much appreciated and it certainly sounds like you made absolutely the right choice. I would very much like to know just who the HD was as I have not met one yet who was not over and above helpful. If this person was not than they should be reported!

Just that the OP obviously feels that it's only Americans with oxygen and in wheelchairs.

I'm American & I didn't read it that way. I got the feeling it was American's saying her DD's MIL shouldn't be cruising, if she had a heart condition making her frail. The OP was pointing out Americans have most likely seen people in worse shape on cruises, so they shouldn't be suggesting that someone with a heart condition shouldn't take a cruise. She was right. It was a ridiculous thing to say. Getting old w/failing health isn't a reason to stop cruising or doing anything else. You buy insurance & enjoy the life you have left. If you're going to be offended, be offended by the people who think people with failing health should stop cruising.