Half moon Cay Snorkeling

cole'snana

31 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I have snorkeled in 34 different Caribbean island locations and saw very few fish at Half Moon  Cay.  I enjoy the small colorful fish found near coral foundations.  Good place to become comfortable with the mask but not a place a would recommend for seeing a variety of fish. 

It certainly can’t compare to places in the Caribbean like Bonaire that’s for sure!  I think it’s just our family love being in the water snorkeling pretty much anywhere.   I agree it’s certainly a great spot for newbies.  When I sailed with a friend in January HMC was the first time she tried snorkeling with her new equipment.  

• Like 2

If you are doing a cruise where HMC is the first stop instead of the final one, it isn't a bad place to try on any snorkeling gear you've brought on the trip. Think of it as a "warm-up" to the main events on other islands. Water is usually very calm and clear for snorkeling novices or intermediates. And I did get to swim with a small sea turtle for a few minutes one time.

• Like 1

We brought our own masks and had an enjoyable time snorkeling at HMC in the snorkeling area.  No it isn't like Bonaire but it was just as good as what we experienced on Grand Turk.   Perhaps the other poster was taken to a different place.   The way I figure it, it was a good day of snorkeling for no extra charge.   We have not yet seen the octopus but saw lots of small fish.    A day of beach time and snorkeling at HMC is a good day for us.   We have snorkeled at several islands but not Bonaire.  At some it is rough and others are so overrun with tourists that there isn't much to see at the reefs anymore.   At Key West it was both rough and barren when we took a snorkeling excursion there.

7 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

We brought our own masks and had an enjoyable time snorkeling at HMC in the snorkeling area.  No it isn't like Bonaire but it was just as good as what we experienced on Grand Turk.   Perhaps the other poster was taken to a different place.   The way I figure it, it was a good day of snorkeling for no extra charge.   We have not yet seen the octopus but saw lots of small fish.    A day of beach time and snorkeling at HMC is a good day for us.   We have snorkeled at several islands but not Bonaire.  At some it is rough and others are so overrun with tourists that there isn't much to see at the reefs anymore.   At Key West it was both rough and barren when we took a snorkeling excursion there.

Snorkeleing in Aruba is crowded. All the tours, both cruise ship and independent, seem to go to the same areas. 

22 hours ago, canadianbear said:

And yet others have gone and enjoyed it and saw various fish including the octopus.  It’s up to each individual to determine if it’s worth it.  We find it fun and good exercise as well.  

Good to know....

On 6/20/2018 at 1:05 PM, OlsSalt said:

Best snorkeling reported to be at the very far end of the beach, until you reach the rocky point.

Not to be snarky, but a beach has two ends. Which one? (Ignore this if the "rocky point" is obvious.

Thanks.

On 6/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, Aquahound said:

Like OlsSalt said, the best snorkeling is way down at the end of the beach. You have to swim out and around the end of the rocks. It's not bad once you get out around the corner. There are old pier pilings (totally submerged) that attract fish and several little alcoves with reef fish swimming around. There are also a couple small private beaches you can rest on. No, it's not the best snorkeling in the world, but it's not bad. I would do it again.

Are you talking about near the tender channel/dock? If so, that sounds like a dangerous place to be.

11 minutes ago, sunnut said:

Are you talking about near the tender channel/dock? If so, that sounds like a dangerous place to be.

I am just chiming in late here, as you look at the water it would be on your far right side of the beach.  I also think as there is no money involved i.e. an excursion and just a simple experience, in my opinion, we always snorkle there, doesn't cost anything if we see something great, if not we are at Half Moon Cay, and what is not to like about that.  It is all relative.   We have snorkled the A.B.C. Islands, Caribbean and French Polynesia.  We take the local bus in Aruba, and the water taxi in  Bonaire.  All that takes time and money, this beach is right there and free.  Hope you have a fun time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

I am just chiming in late here, as you look at the water it would be on your far right side of the beach. ... All that takes time and money, this beach is right there and free.  Hope you have a fun time.

Thanks for the tip! Do you recall the water depth? I'd prefer deeper than standing depth. (Like, maybe 10' - 20')

Just to add my two cents, I thought the snorkeling area was to the left, as you faced the water. That’s where we went, and there is like a rock jetty going pretty far out. I went without fins (too bulky to pack) and we did see some fish, but it was not great. All in all, I’m glad we went though. 

DD

On 6/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, canadianbear said:

If you're doing more snorkeling other than Half Moon Cay I'd say bring your stuff. My husband and I do when going to the warm climates.

Half Moon Cay is just ok for snorkeling but we enjoy it.

Here's a couple photos we took when at Half Moon Cay in December.

b1e9736244cce591b9cd61ec64e14eb7.jpg

b25dac3f84a3e92ecf8e20abee74e19c.jpg

nice pics we too have seen an octopus at HMC. to the far left of the island as you face the ocean. Here are a few of ours from HMC in Dec 2019, however, we have years worth of a lot of better shots as well. Happy Snorkeling. we suggest snorkeling on shore as well as taking the Snorkeling excursion. Neither disappoint... p.s. that is a killer shot of an octopus by the way

DSCF4133.JPG

DSCF4151.JPG

DSCF2188.JPG

DSCF2190.JPG

DSCF2191.JPG

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 1

Thanks tuolumne-I’m happy to have a prescription mask now to actually see the sealife-before it was pure luck.

That octopus was fun to watch.  He was being bugged at times by various fish and changed colour.  I have an inexpensive old camera so don’t get great shots but good enough for us.

C10A8741-A7B4-4689-9B1D-7D6516216C4C.jpeg

20C18BFF-C9AE-4620-B5B9-7372C9E2499E.jpeg

926C884A-7CE1-448F-9F5B-169F7E0D4808.jpeg

• Like 2

I, too, enjoy snorkeling at HMC.  Not the greatest, but there is plenty to see---if you look for it.  We've been there 4 or 5 times now and have seen different things each time.  Once it was a huge barracuda---Barry, as they called him.  A couple times it was the octopus.  A couple times there were turtles.  Every time I've seen schools of smaller barracudas.  We also usually find schools of smaller fish.  It can be a fun place to snorkel.

IMG_0933 copy.jpg

IMG_3017 halfmoon cay.jpg

IMG_3027 copy.jpg

11-14 half moon cay (7).JPG

PC050081 copy.jpg

PC050104 copy.jpg

PC091536 copy.jpg

PC091550 copy.jpg

PC091556 copy.jpg

PC190028 copy.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We invested in the shorter travel fins from Amazon that are much easier to pack. They've worked well in all the spots we've snorkeled. Not a huge amount of propulsion but more than adequate.

That's a great idea!  I keep meaning to check them out.   Most of the Caribbean snorkeling is calm enough that full size fins aren't necessary, but it's sure nice to have fins.

Edited by slabeaume

On 12/23/2019 at 9:28 PM, slabeaume said:

I, too, enjoy snorkeling at HMC.  Not the greatest, but there is plenty to see---if you look for it.  We've been there 4 or 5 times now and have seen different things each time.  Once it was a huge barracuda---Barry, as they called him.  A couple times it was the octopus.  A couple times there were turtles.  Every time I've seen schools of smaller barracudas.  We also usually find schools of smaller fish.  It can be a fun place to snorkel.

IMG_0933 copy.jpg

11-14 half moon cay (7).JPG

image.png.f42b995835bf53d7548268234347ea10.png

love the barracuda the pic of those worms or feather dusters, do you know what they are?/ how amazing that must have been. And wow you saw a Queen Angel fish , that is pretty spectacular as well.  Here is my pic of a french angel fish that we saw it last year in Antiqua off a boat excursion to Prickly Pear Island. If you saw a queen angel fish at HMC, i have hope of seeing one there. That would be a new fish for me.  If you ever get the chance, take that snorkeling trip off Antiqua, do it. thanks for the photos everyone.  Great times, Great Memories and Merry Christmas!

image.png

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 9:49 AM, slabeaume said:

That's a great idea!  I keep meaning to check them out.   Most of the Caribbean snorkeling is calm enough that full size fins aren't necessary, but it's sure nice to have fins.

I've had a pair of "microfins" for about 10 years now and pack them on most of our caribbean cruises.  They're not adjustable, so they have a closed heel cup (nice for walking on rock like what's common in Cozumel).  I'm a pretty decent swimmer, so the microfins are plenty for me to swim well with, but small enough to navigate a swim ladder and "waddle" around on land for short stretches.  Well worth the $20-25 i've spent on them, and i've done plenty of snorkel excursions where no fins were provided.

I have an earlier version, but here's what amazon lists for microfins (https://smile.amazon.com/Aqua-Sphere-Microfins-Black-42-43/dp/B00914U9QQ/) and I"m 99% sure that's the brand I've got, just in a different color scheme (gray & black vs black & black)

Once you have fins and a snorkel it's easy to pick up a replacement mask on discount at the end of the summer.  I think I'm on my 2nd or 3rd mask, but 1st snorkel and fins.