Half moon Cay Snorkeling

cole'snana

If you search for "snorkeling+HMC" you'll find a bunch of threads that essentially say the snorkeling is okay but not great. THIS ONE suggests not snorkling at the main beach. Some say rent fins but bring the rest of your own gear.

Edited by catl331

Best snorkeling reported to be at the very far end of the beach, until you reach the rocky point. About a 15-20 minute walk away from the dock area. Water can be rough and there are no facilities close by. Proceed with all due caution.

• Like 1

Like OlsSalt said, the best snorkeling is way down at the end of the beach. You have to swim out and around the end of the rocks. It's not bad once you get out around the corner. There are old pier pilings (totally submerged) that attract fish and several little alcoves with reef fish swimming around. There are also a couple small private beaches you can rest on. No, it's not the best snorkeling in the world, but it's not bad. I would do it again.

If you're doing more snorkeling other than Half Moon Cay I'd say bring your stuff. My husband and I do when going to the warm climates.

Half Moon Cay is just ok for snorkeling but we enjoy it.

Here's a couple photos we took when at Half Moon Cay in December.

b1e9736244cce591b9cd61ec64e14eb7.jpg

b25dac3f84a3e92ecf8e20abee74e19c.jpg

• Like 1

It's true there is not much to see in terms of coral or fish, but I very much enjoy swimming through that pellucid water.

Near the kids area along the rocks are some fish. I saw a large barracuda there, and have had small ones swim along with me. Many years ago there was a large stingray that I got too close to. He warned me by waving his stinger - which I understood completely. He was fine as long as I kept my distance. I've never seen another wild one there.

We've been to Half Moon Cay a few times and enjoy trying to find the resident octopus. We just enjoy snorkeling, the beautiful water and if we see sea life it's a bonus. It's fun for us being active in the water.

We love snorkeling at Half Moon Cay, we have been there nine times, never missed a tender. we have been on every inch of the beach, literally and honestly, no spot is better than the other. seen barracuda, octopus, many fish, and have always loved it. to be doubly honest, we have been there in the calm, windy, sunny, rainy, stormy etc. if you want to snorkel, we have learned, be the first off the boat and the first in the water, once swimmer feet kick up that fine powder sand, visibility takes a dive. but it is always worth it!! good luck! in addition to my bird list, i also have a fish list, which is growing thanks to snorkeling with HAL. my best suggestion? buy a good mask and fins and pack them each trip. get a good fish guide and then you will never have to rent. Plus you can find unexpected opportunity like at Grand Turk or wherever, and when you take an excursion, you will can use your gear and the snorkeling will feel great each time. happy snorkeling!!

We learned the warmest water at HMC is in late Fall, before the summer-heated Caribbean waters head up north into the Gulf Stream, and the Caribbean gets replaced by much cooler water on that huge ocean current conveyor belt. .

One November HMC was absolutely perferct - we did not want get out of the water because was so divine. Other times I always felt it was too cold for me - I am a fair weather friend when it comes to swimming in ocean waters - 82 degrees is my bare minimum. I also find a rash guard suit feels more comfortable, when hitting these colder season waters.

And don’t forget your binoculars...great birds on the island trails and nearby...Bahamian Mockingbird, Palm Warbler, Bananaquit, whimbrel, Borrowing Owl, Yellow Warbler, Frigatebirds, Brown Booby , Black necked Stilt, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, sunnut said:

Do you remember the water depth? I'd like something in the 10' - 20' deep range.

Do the excursion. I don't know the exact depth, probably not 20', but definitely too deep to stand in--and you shouldn't be standing on the coral anyway.

I do bring my own mask and snorkel, but the equipment on the boat looks pretty good. Better than I've seen on some of the other islands.

29 minutes ago, sunnut said:

Do you remember the water depth? I'd like something in the 10' - 20' deep range.

If you snorkel where I mentioned earlier, all the way down at the end of the beach, it starts fairly shallow, like 6-8'.  But as you get out around the rocks, it's around 10', depending on the tide and how far you get from the rocks.  You can swim out deeper if you wish.  There was plenty of fish life around the old pilings.  

It's all sand and crushed coral bottom in that area so there's no issue with standing in the shallower water.  The small, private beach was a really nice resting point.  

Edited by Aquahound

On 6/24/2018 at 5:38 PM, 0106 said:

Beautiful beach, worthless snorkeling. Walked about 15minutes to recommended area, no foundations, few fish.

30 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

This post is spot on!

I don't know how a post can be "spot on" when it's factually incorrect.  There are numerous old pilings extending out about 100' from the rocks.  I'm not sure why 0106 didn't see them, but they are certainly there.  

We encountered a very aggressive barracuda swimming out around the corner at the far end of the beach.  It followed my husband most of the way back to shore.  Otherwise there were some interesting things to see.  As long as the ocean is calm, it is OK.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I don't know how a post can be "spot on" when it's factually incorrect.  There are numerous old pilings extending out about 100' from the rocks.  I'm not sure why 0106 didn't see them, but they are certainly there.  

DH went snorkeling and said it wasnt good

19 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

DH went snorkeling and said it wasnt good

And yet others have gone and enjoyed it and saw various fish including the octopus.  It’s up to each individual to determine if it’s worth it.  We find it fun and good exercise as well.  

• Like 2

I have snorkeled in 34 different Caribbean island locations and saw very few fish at Half Moon  Cay.  I enjoy the small colorful fish found near coral foundations.  Good place to become comfortable with the mask but not a place a would recommend for seeing a variety of fish.