Positano vs. Pizza in Naples (and lunch suggestions for Florence and Rome)

bmwg8r

We are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers from Atlanta, GA. We have never been to Italy and we love food. We will get to spend 1 day at the port in Naples. We are planning to go to Pompeii and try to see some of the Amalfi coast. The big competing problem is time. I cannot imagine not getting to try the best pizza in the world in Naples but I am being told there is not time for that and to also see Positano.

What say you about such a difficult choice?

Also, if you happen to have any suggestions for the best single but casual meal we should try to find for lunch in Florence and Rome, throw that in too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Given that you are traveling with the kids they should certainly express their own opinion. We have been to Naples numerous times and even spent a few weeks on the Amalfi Coast. There is no simple solution to your dilemma other than a family meeting and perhaps a vote :). As to the pizza in Naples we have had it in multiple locations including the famous Pizzaria de Michele. Pizza in Naples is quite good, but to be real honest I have had much better pizza in New York City :).

Pompeii is an amazing place and certainly would be an educational experience for the kids. But doing both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast is a lot to accomplish in a port day. And keep in mind that the cruise line excursions that use buses cannot ever go down into Positano (no tour buses allowed). You could pull it off with a private tour (your own car/driver) but would have to settle for a limited tour of the Amalfi Coast...given the time you will need in Pompeii. Bottom line is that you will simply need to return on a future trip :).

Hank

We too would pass on the pizza. We have been there. Not certain what the big deal is.

Reminds us of the desire by some to visit Harry's bar in Venice. Cannot imagine why folks spend time and pay so much when they could be out touring the real Venice or having a glass of wine in a local cafe.

From our perspective, Positano is by far the better choice.

Lunch in Rome and Florence? Find a place that does not have multilingual menus, somewhere where you hear and see mostly locals (ie no english), two blocks in and two blocks up from a main drag. Order the house wine and perhaps even let the server order for you. Split the entrees so you can all taste something different. Whatever you do, if you see a bunch of people reading their Rick Steves book....keep on searching for a local place. Don't waste your valuable time searching for some restaurant address in the book. Trust to chance! This usually works for us in all of our European travels.

Or do what we sometimes do. Go into a small grocery/deli. They will make a great fresh sandwich for you. Buy some cold beer, drinks, juice, whatever and go and have a picnic on the steps of a church. Pantheon in Rome is a great location to do this. Sit back and people watch. After that a gelati....but make certain that he flavours 'marry' well.

Edited by iancal

I don't know what to advise regarding your Naples dilemma. The Amalfi Coast drive seems like kind of a long time sitting in a car (or bus) with active teens, but it's your call....

Definitely do Pompeii.

I can offer a suggestion regarding lunch in Florence:

Trattoria Sergio Gozzi

piazza san Lorenzo, 8, Florence

Tuscany 50123, Italy

+39 055 281941

Frequently mentioned on Chowhound, it's a wonderful and authentic place that's only open for lunch. Full of regulars. Italian regulars. And a few tourists, of course because it's Florence and the word is out. Be prepared to perhaps share a large table. The menu is small but delicious and not expensive. See review below from "Eater".

If chaotic, crowded local trattorias are not your thing, head to 150-plus-year-old Sergio Gozzi for a similar slice of ambiance and culinary history — but with more space and less waiting. A true Florentine trattoria, Sergio Gozzi changes up its renowned fried offerings based on the seasons: fried zucchini flowers in the summer and artichokes in the winter. Also keep an eye out for porchetta, peposo (beef stew slow-cooked in wine and whole peppercorns), and one of the best pappa al pomodoro (bread and tomato) soups in town. Only open for lunch, Gozzi offers traditional homestyle food at reasonable prices. [$]

One other word of warning -- if you go, don't be "that" traveler: when we were there for lunch in November, an American mother and daughter came in and were seated at a large round table with us and a pair of Florentine regulars. The mother and daughter were inordinately concerned about being able to get a "REAL diet Coke -- not the kind they sell over here in Italy." The waiter took her over to the refrigerated case. Apparently the diet Coke on offer didn't meet her standards. They left, loudly whining the whole time about the unavailability of their favorite beverage ANYWHERE in Italy!!!

Being a mother of 5 kids, oldest is now 28 and youngest is 16, I do understand. My suggestion is before you go, get a list of activities and show it to them (pompei, heraculeum, vesuvius, positano). Also go online with them to read about the areas and history. The food is going to be good no matter where you go (teenagers will eat anything). I have brought my kids everywhere and I found it really useful to ask them "hey theres pompei which has this and this and amalfi coast which has this and this - I am having a tough time deciding and I need you guys to help me. I have some links if you want to look at it." Sometimes the kids are busy on their phones but the more I discuss it, the more they start becoming interested. For instance, we had the option of riding bikes in San Juan during a port stop but I was outvoted because my older daughter found a beach club with food and drinks included. Later they said that the bikes probably would have been more fun, but at the time, the pictures on the website sold them. In the long run, when I made all the decisions and told the kids what we were doing, it sometimes would turn into a day of grouchiness. After a while, I reasoned with myself to allow the kids to be involved also because it's their vacation and then we all have fun. They talked me into visiting a donkey sanctuary in Bonaire and we still talk and laugh about it. Good luck in whatever you do.

Edited by jean87510

I don't know what to advise regarding your Naples dilemma. The Amalfi Coast drive seems like kind of a long time sitting in a car (or bus) with active teens, but it's your call....

Definitely do Pompeii.

I can offer a suggestion regarding lunch in Florence:

Trattoria Sergio Gozzi

piazza san Lorenzo, 8, Florence

Tuscany 50123, Italy

+39 055 281941

Frequently mentioned on Chowhound, it's a wonderful and authentic place that's only open for lunch. Full of regulars. Italian regulars. And a few tourists, of course because it's Florence and the word is out. Be prepared to perhaps share a large table. The menu is small but delicious and not expensive. See review below from "Eater".

If chaotic, crowded local trattorias are not your thing, head to 150-plus-year-old Sergio Gozzi for a similar slice of ambiance and culinary history — but with more space and less waiting. A true Florentine trattoria, Sergio Gozzi changes up its renowned fried offerings based on the seasons: fried zucchini flowers in the summer and artichokes in the winter. Also keep an eye out for porchetta, peposo (beef stew slow-cooked in wine and whole peppercorns), and one of the best pappa al pomodoro (bread and tomato) soups in town. Only open for lunch, Gozzi offers traditional homestyle food at reasonable prices. [$]

One other word of warning -- if you go, don't be "that" traveler: when we were there for lunch in November, an American mother and daughter came in and were seated at a large round table with us and a pair of Florentine regulars. The mother and daughter were inordinately concerned about being able to get a "REAL diet Coke -- not the kind they sell over here in Italy." The waiter took her over to the refrigerated case. Apparently the diet Coke on offer didn't meet her standards. They left, loudly whining the whole time about the unavailability of their favorite beverage ANYWHERE in Italy!!!

Diet Coke in most of Europe is called Coca Cola Light.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For Rome food - look up anything by Katie Parla and follow her directions. I'm also very into food and I never had a bad meal following her suggestions.

https://katieparla.com/

For Florence, you might also try the Mercato Centrale for lunch - they have a wide variety of excellent food available at reasonable prices.

I've had Da Michele in Naples - it is fantastic but do not miss Positano for pizza. There are some great places in Rome instead (Pizzarium or Da Remo).

Neapolitan pizza is very different from pizza in the States, if you're hoping to find a better version of what you get at home you are bound to be disappointed.

I love the pizza in Naples but I also love what I get at home, they are two different things.

If you are trying to get to both Pompei and the Amalfi Coast I assume you are using a car service as this is difficult to impossible using public transit.

You might consider having your driver leave you at the ferry station in Sorrento to get back to Naples, that will save you a lot of time and might allow you to squeeze in a pizza run before returning to the ship. The problem with this plan is that many of the better places are not open continuously, closing around 3:30 or so and reopening around 7 PM.

We are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers from Atlanta, GA. We have never been to Italy and we love food. We will get to spend 1 day at the port in Naples. We are planning to go to Pompeii and try to see some of the Amalfi coast. The big competing problem is time. I cannot imagine not getting to try the best pizza in the world in Naples but I am being told there is not time for that and to also see Positano.

What say you about such a difficult choice?

Well, if the choice were mine, I would forego the Neapolitan pizza and opt for Pompeii and Positano.

Neapolitan pizza is very different from pizza in the States, if you're hoping to find a better version of what you get at home you are bound to be disappointed.

I love the pizza in Naples but I also love what I get at home, they are two different things.

Exactly ... and I also enjoy Neapolitan pizza and most NY style pizzas in the states. I often hear complaints about authentic Neapolitan pizza as it is compared (unfavorably) to Pizza Hut. :eek:

We have had excellent pizza in both Amalfi and Positano.

Make sure that the menu says "mozzarella di buffala" for the one you pick. Some of the choices might be made with ordinary cow's milk mozzarella.

And, yes, I also heard someone say that they prefer Papa John's to Neapolitan pizza. I still shudder every time I think of it.

Love nyc pizza but by far best pizza I ever had was at Brandi which is close to the dock in Naples. Pompeii is amazing. Went to a question and answer with Sophia Loren , asked her what her favorite food was, her answer was she was from Naples so of course it was pizza.