What Am I Missing By Not Sailing W/HAL?

Usually it's a bad thing that HAL is slow to catch up to other lines. In this case, it would have been better if they never caught up. They're now using the same webpage format as the other lines and it sucks!

In the past when someone would mention another cruise line or ship, I would go to that website to learn what I could about the particulars. None of those other cruise lines offered easy website accessibility for simple facts like the old HAL website. I gave up and could never make direct comparisons. Which is why I found the new HAL website so appalling because it committed the same information access errors as their alleged competition. No thank you.

I could not have said it better myself. I agree.

I have sailed several lines and always go back to HAL because I like the idea of a classic cruise ship. Service makes or breaks an experience for you and the service from the very start is second to none on HAL.

I totally agree! The service is exceptional!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does HAL have a good mix of age groups, for some reason I associate HAL with above 65 years of age?

Some body mentioned "classic" (decor) of the ships, so classic means tasteful but not like out dated?

We find a good mix of ages ranging from 40s and older on HAL. Not as many twenty somethings or children. Classic decor to me means clean lines and muted colors, not the flashy, neon, psychedelic bright colors that you see on the party boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some body mentioned "classic" (decor) of the ships, so classic means tasteful but not like out dated?

Other than some really fugly furniture on some HAL ships, I always thought the majority of the decor was nice. Yes, it's dark but it was typically maritime colors....like dark blues and woods, with paintings of old ships in the stairwells. Here are some contrasting pictures, starting with the furniture I'm speaking of and followed by the route they took with Koningsdam:

enhance

enhance

Oddly, no mention yet that HAL has classical music, either a duo or the wonderful Lincoln Center Stage, on all their ships. That, plus the unique itineraries are the main differences to Princess that we've found. Have you looked at Cunard?

Oddly, no mention yet that HAL has classical music, either a duo or the wonderful Lincoln Center Stage, on all their ships. That, plus the unique itineraries are the main differences to Princess that we've found. Have you looked at Cunard?

On my Royal Princess cruise last year there was an abundance of live music, including a trio of classical musicians who often played in the atrium during the day but also had several evening concerts.

Princess also had a lovely steel drum band, a full orchestra to accompany shows, a piano bar, and a contemporary duo who also often performed in the atrium.

On my Royal Princess cruise last year there was an abundance of live music, including a trio of classical musicians who often played in the atrium during the day but also had several evening concerts.

Princess also had a lovely steel drum band, a full orchestra to accompany shows, a piano bar, and a contemporary duo who also often performed in the atrium.

All good. And the Royal, being so much larger, might have more space available for live musicians. But Princess' West Coast sailings, rather than augment their entertainment with destination-themed groups bump the classical musicians in favor of Hawaiian or Mariachi groups. And once in the Med, we had a trio with a pre-recorded "back beat" thrumming beneath all their offerings, filling the "classical" slot. Interesting, but not the same - to us at least. HAL's approach with Lincoln Center playing Brahms, Schumann, Franck etc. stands out.

[start justification] HAL will continue to be my top choice ......... [end justification]

That puts it more in context, in the sense that it clearly becomes a personal opinion rather the broad generalization you began with.

You don't it because you're old and decrepit but don't want to admit it yet.:):)

They will make accommodations if you can’t stand. All you need to do is ask. I’ve seen a crew member bring a chair on deck for a woman who couldn’t stand. And they’ve let my mother use the elevator because she can’t do the stairs. So all you have to do is ask and you will be accommodated. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You don't it because you're old and decrepit but don't want to admit it yet.:):)

Who are you calling old and decrepit? You can’t possibly be referring to me even though you reposted my comment. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am sitting in the Seattle airport, waiting for a flight from a week on the Eurodam. What a fantastic experience!

It was my first cruise but one thing that people who cruise a lot kept mentioning was how the crew on HAL is second-to-none. You’ve never met a friendlier, harder-working group of people. They make all interactions a pleasure.

I am sitting in the Seattle airport, waiting for a flight from a week on the Eurodam. What a fantastic experience!

It was my first cruise but one thing that people who cruise a lot kept mentioning was how the crew on HAL is second-to-none. You’ve never met a friendlier, harder-working group of people. They make all interactions a pleasure.

Thank you for the very positive, uplifting Post!!! (y)(y)(y)

Len, please help me understand the "Lanai" cabins? Sounds like it evolved from somewhere on the Hawaiian Islands?

Not Lenny, but the Lanai cabin is basically an ocean view cabin with a sliding door to the promenade deck with reserved chairs for your use.

So, you have a view plus access to a deck. Kind of an inbetween of an ocean view and balcony.

Lots of pics of them on halfacts (dot) com.

Many people prefer them - others not.

LANAI cabins .I never saw them on any other cruise line.

Carnival also has them on their newest ships, but they took it to the next level. It's the same concept but still with a private seating area.

enhance

Not Lenny, but the Lanai cabin is basically an ocean view cabin with a sliding door to the promenade deck with reserved chairs for your use.

So, you have a view plus access to a deck. Kind of an inbetween of an ocean view and balcony.

Lots of pics of them on halfacts (dot) com.

Many people prefer them - others not.

Interesting... and are these cabins only available on certain class ships?

One thing you won't miss is having to stand for 25 mins shoulder to shoulder on the promenade deck for the safety drill.

We did a BTB Venice/Rome - Rome/ Ft. Lauderdale on the Pacific Princess. For those who came onboard in Rome, many had their safety drill in the MDR. Problem was that the timing of the drill was during the late dinner seating. The staff was actually chasing people out, some of which had yet to be served. And the food wasn't great to begin with. Horrible! That ship was the second worse managed ship we've been on. The first was the NCL Sun. More than horrible!

Most of the other ships/lines we've cruised on were ok. The Royal Caribbean shower was circular and awkward.

I know some say HAL is for old people and their parents but on the ships we've been on most of the other passengers are getting up there in age.

We like HAL for the quietness. There isn't an amusement park on top so it's not a big draw for those who want a waterslide or climb a rock wall or whatever keeps the kids busy. Good food, great staff. To us it's grand hotel that takes us places.

HAL does not surcharge for ordering from the MDR dinner menu for the first hour, and you can order coffee to the room 24/7..good for early mornings. Again no surcharge.

Explorations Cafe with their free snacks. If you are into specialty coffee and can get a drink package, it can be used at Explorations for specialty cofee.

Someone else mentioned the covered promenade deck (similar to Norwegian Sun) that does a full circuit, without needing to cut through the interior of the ship.

BB King Blues and the Lincoln Stage for a better variety of live entertainment. I didn't think much of their lectures or other entertainment, though.

Yes, service was very good both in the MDR and the stewards.