Straws

This thread sure took a turn. Since were getting into fuels and environment. The new Icon class ships are supposed to be utilizing hydrogen fuel cell technology for power. Very clean
I thought it was LNG primarily

Fuel cells will provide very minor amount of power

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I thought it was LNG primarily

Fuel cells will provide very minor amount of power

You may be right about that. I knew they had hydrogen fuel cells. Assumed they were powering the ship.

Multiple thoughts:

- I'm perfectly happy to drink iced tea or Diet Coke without a straw, but I do want a straw for a fru-fru drink, and I don't want a paper straw. I'll bring my own straws and will be sure they end up in the trash.

- As for drinking containers, I'm sure paper cups are better for the environment than plastic or styrofoam cups ... but I'm not sure whether paper cups are better or worse than the water and detergent required to sanitize glassware.

- Glassware doesn't make sense by the pool, where it could be dropped and someone's bare foot could be cut ... so some type of disposable does have its place on a cruise.

- Bringing your own Tervis Tumbler or Yeti-type cup does make sense in terms of environmentalism ... as long as you also bring detergent so you can wash it. There's nothing good about making yourself sick with dirty glassware.

- I've always been against bottled water; I genuinely think it should be banned. I carry a washable bottle of tap water to work every day -- how hard is that?

Knew was LNG, Hydrogen Fuel Cells hadn't heard that. Not sure technology/safety/efficiency on Cruise Ship is there. But maybe...
Pretty sure it is some auxiliary power. Likely more marketing use than actual use

Someone asked about washing glassware vs. paper. Paper requires a huge amount of water and wood to produce each cup. Washing is the way to go.

I am the person who buys the soda package. I am still using the insulated plastic cups given to us over a year ago. The #1 way to be environmentally friendly is to keep using something until it cannot be used any longer. Replacing items (car, fridge, insulated cups) with new is a huge ding on the carbon footprint and natural resources.

I'll bring my own straws and will be sure they end up in the trash.

Thats part of the problem. The reason they're getting rid of straws isn't because they fall overboard, it's because they end up escaping landfills, or garbage trucks or any number of other places and end up in our waterways.

Rather than bringing single use, you should bring a reusable straw. One of those big quarter inch diameter ones that come with some traveler mugs would be perfect for frozen drinks.

- As for drinking containers, I'm sure paper cups are better for the environment than plastic or styrofoam cups ... but I'm not sure whether paper cups are better or worse than the water and detergent required to sanitize glassware.

As the old saying goes, "reduce, reuse, recycle." It's great to recycle things but even better to not have any waste at all, which is why a reusable cup that can be washed always wins over recyclable paper or plastic.

Nationally, we're currently experiencing a real crisis with recyclables. China is the #1 purchaser of our recycled goods, and they aren't buying like they used to. In 2015, recycled materials sold to China for $130+ per ton...in 2018 the going rate is about $35.

They just did a story in the news about here in Central Florida, and the fact that about 50% of the items that households recycle (90% in some neighborhoods) end up getting sent to the landfill because people are putting non-recyclable items into their curbside bins.

I'm sure a lot of folks might read this and think "no big deal," but in the near future, it really is going to be a big deal. The effort it takes to use a stainless steel straw to drink out of and cloth bags at the grocery store vs plastic is SO minimal.

The city of Seattle recently completely banned plastic straws altogether from being used in restaurants/bars. I hope that becomes a nationwide trend, along with plastic grocery bags.

Balloons are the next item that should be banned from any outdoor use. They, especially those filled with helium, get released pop and come down who knows where. An island off the coast of RI recently banned balloons from the island. It is illegal to be in possession of them.

Someone asked about washing glassware vs. paper. Paper requires a huge amount of water and wood to produce each cup. Washing is the way to go.

I am the person who buys the soda package. I am still using the insulated plastic cups given to us over a year ago. The #1 way to be environmentally friendly is to keep using something until it cannot be used any longer. Replacing items (car, fridge, insulated cups) with new is a huge ding on the carbon footprint and natural resources.

Shame they can't update the RFID chip in the bottom of the cup so you can reuse it.

At one time we had a dozen of them.

Balloons are the next item that should be banned from any outdoor use. They, especially those filled with helium, get released pop and come down who knows where. An island off the coast of RI recently banned balloons from the island. It is illegal to be in possession of them.
Are they that popular?[emoji848]

I'd think that water bottles are more prevalent 100,000 to one.

Cocoa Beach can't even police fireworks. [emoji33]

Bella is not happy about that.

Are they that popular?[emoji848]

I'd think that water bottles are more prevalent 100,000 to one.

Bella is not happy about that.

Since moving from DOS to Windows and the ability to multitask we can now attack more than one problem at a time. We can go after water bottles and balloons at the same time.

I have metal straws & a cleaning brush that I use & love. But Michael’s had a pack of 24 hard plastic/reusable straws with all of their summer things a few weeks ago. With one of their constant coupons the pack was about $3. Target also sells packs of reusable straws. I’m not a fan of paper either and refuse to use the throwaway ones, so I’ve gotten into the habit of taking a straw with me every where I go.

But anyways... I’m super thankful for this thread. If we end up getting to go on our cruise in December, I’m glad to know to pack a few extra straws.

Multiple thoughts:

- I'm perfectly happy to drink iced tea or Diet Coke without a straw, but I do want a straw for a fru-fru drink, and I don't want a paper straw. I'll bring my own straws and will be sure they end up in the trash. umm, okay. you do realize that you are not helping the situation by tossing your own straws away, right?

- As for drinking containers, I'm sure paper cups are better for the environment than plastic or styrofoam cups ... but I'm not sure whether paper cups are better or worse than the water and detergent required to sanitize glassware. in terms of overall resource use, washing is much less impactful than producing new. we kill enough trees every year as it is and are not replanting nearly enough to make up the difference.

- Glassware doesn't make sense by the pool, where it could be dropped and someone's bare foot could be cut ... so some type of disposable does have its place on a cruise. why? the plastic/acrylic tumblers already in use are perfectly fine

- Bringing your own Tervis Tumbler or Yeti-type cup does make sense in terms of environmentalism ... as long as you also bring detergent so you can wash it. There's nothing good about making yourself sick with dirty glassware. the all in one goop in the showers works wonders for this( and washing out the bikini)

- I've always been against bottled water; I genuinely think it should be banned. I carry a washable bottle of tap water to work every day -- how hard is that?

what I would like to see is the water fountains that have the dispenser that cannot be contaminated by your personal water bottle. the base gym has them and they are great.. plenty large enough to hold any height bottle and the nozzle never gets near the rim. that would reduce the need to use a plastic glass to transfer water to your bottle from the WJ dispensers.

Freedom in march didn’t have any I have to ask every single time. For my next cruise I’m bringing my own straws, it was a waste of 50-70 secs every time I had to wait for them to look for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's because Brevard makes it oh so easy to buy fireworks that are illegal in most states. So why patrol it? All you have to do is sign the waiver stating you are purchasing the fireworks for "agricultural use" to scare away birds. :')

That loophole's existed for dozens of years now. I wonder how much and who the fireworks industry pays for that.

what I would like to see is the water fountains that have the dispenser that cannot be contaminated by your personal water bottle. the base gym has them and they are great.. plenty large enough to hold any height bottle and the nozzle never gets near the rim. that would reduce the need to use a plastic glass to transfer water to your bottle from the WJ dispensers.

Yes! They have finally put these in the middle school and high school my older two go to. I wish they would put one in the elementary school too. But it isn't a huge deal, we just send our youngest with a big enough water bottle to last her the whole day, though she does run out occasionally.

We do reusable water bottles/tumblers, cloth grocery bags and produce bags, reusable sandwich bags or containers, stainless steel or silicone straws here. Always looking for ways to cut down on waste, we even bring our own containers to bring leftovers home from a restaurant when we can. We live on an island that has way too much trash as it is so anything we can do cut back helps. We do regular beach clean ups and it is sad the see so much garbage littering the beaches.

These are becoming the future. The City of Orlando puts them in public parks. Better airports are starting to retrofit their water fountains with them.

Currently I just fill up my water bottle in the stateroom's sink. But when I empty it in the Solarium it would be nice to not have to waste a cup.

We were offered paper straws and my grandson went through a bunch of them as they got soggy at the tip :o

Plastic straws have been causing serious problems with marine life. Canada and I'm sure the US are phasing out their useage. I grew up with "waxed paper" straws. children will learn that they can't be chewed at the ends like plastic ones!