Hygiene

FangedRose

I can’t believe some of the comments in this thread! Fanged Rose - you seem completely paranoid about germs - however do you live in normal society? How do you cope in general social areas - synbeds May have had other people’s towels on them; chairs have had other people’s (dirty?) clothes on them. People put bags on chairs or on tables? However do you cope?

Should say sun beds - although with some people’s behaviour perhaps synbeds is a better description!

Anyway, thank you FangedRose for an amusing couple of days. Although clearly I think you’re a bit ...........???

I can’t believe some of the comments in this thread! Fanged Rose - you seem completely paranoid about germs - however do you live in normal society? How do you cope in general social areas - synbeds May have had other people’s towels on them; chairs have had other people’s (dirty?) clothes on them. People put bags on chairs or on tables? However do you cope?

No. You have got the wrong idea. I do not care about my outer clothing coming into contact with other peoples outer clothing or with chairs etc.

I am concerned with articles of other people's clothing which has been in contact with their bodily secretions, ie underwear and nightwear, coming in contact with my mouth, via meds which I need to keep bedside, or my eyes via make up. Is that paranoid or unreasonable?

Putting worn clothing back into the wardrobe with clean clothing makes the clean clothing dirty. Surely that is not difficult to understand? Putting dirty shoes onto a clean carpet makes the carpet dirty dropping a clean fork onto the floor makes the fork dirty. Same principle. I do not care if other people do it, it only affects them, but surely keeping clean clothes separate front dirty clothes is basic housekeeping?

No wonder noro, and other infections run rife when people will not understand such simple rules of contamination.

Edited by FangedRose

It's a nightdress for goodness sake. I didn't wee in it, or poo on it. Bodily secretions? Give me a break. The bacteria on a worn nightdress won't do anything to anybody, other than fight with the bacteria on your own skin. Grrrr LOL. Think how many nightdresses, undies have been in those drawers. Months and months of dirty people putting their dirty clothes inthose drawers. Better take another suitcase with cans of anti-this and anti-that so you can spray every surface. Me? I'll just carry on. Never caught anything yet.

Thank you so very much. You've put my mind at rest. I'm so grateful.

Hi....I think a " problem" is being created when actually there is none. If the OP has it in their mind about " pesky bugs" in drawers and has to be especially careful....for whatever reason...then why not pack a few nighties and put a clean one every night. The clean nighties could be kept in a plastic bag....possibly sealed... in the drawer/wardrobe. On every P&O ship there are free launderettes and driers....take your own detergent....so once you have been to the launderette they could be placed back into the plastic bags. You may need to spend quite some time in the launderette doing that but it may be worth it for you to have peace of mind

No. You have got the wrong idea. I do not care about my outer clothing coming into contact with other peoples outer clothing or with chairs etc.

I am concerned with articles of other people's clothing which has been in contact with their bodily secretions, ie underwear and nightwear, coming in contact with my mouth, via meds which I need to keep bedside, or my eyes via make up. Is that paranoid or unreasonable?

Putting worn clothing back into the wardrobe with clean clothing makes the clean clothing dirty. Surely that is not difficult to understand? Putting dirty shoes onto a clean carpet makes the carpet dirty dropping a clean fork onto the floor makes the fork dirty. Same principle. I do not care if other people do it, it only affects them, but surely keeping clean clothes separate front dirty clothes is basic housekeeping?

No wonder noro, and other infections run rife when people will not understand such simple rules of contamination.

Fangedrose , I understand your concern . May I suggest you keep your meds in a covered plastic container in the drawer or on top of the bedside table. If it makes you more comfortable wipe down the drawer with Lysol wipes ( bleach ) and/or line the drawers with newspapers . I hope that helps.

You can hang your nightwear in the closet . Make a space between what you’ve worn or bring plastic bags from the dry cleaners to separate your clothing. Bacteria et al does not jump across spaces unless sneezing , etc.

My husband and I have 4 years of post-graduate classes in microbiology between us , he is blasée about the whole thing whereas I am more cautious. I cannot find the name of any disinfectant other than bleach that is useful in killing the norovirus. As others have mentioned , it does exist .

Sanitation scores for the different cruise ships can be found at cdc.gov Anyhow, I hope you can cruise at ease and not worry so much about germs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fangedrose , I understand your concern . May I suggest you keep your meds in a covered plastic container in the drawer or on top of the bedside table. If it makes you more comfortable wipe down the drawer with Lysol wipes ( bleach ) and/or line the drawers with newspapers . I hope that helps.

You can hang your nightwear in the closet . Make a space between what you’ve worn or bring plastic bags from the dry cleaners to separate your clothing. Bacteria et al does not jump across spaces unless sneezing , etc.

My husband and I have 4 years of post-graduate classes in microbiology between us , he is blasée about the whole thing whereas I am more cautious. I cannot find the name of any disinfectant other than bleach that is useful in killing the norovirus. As others have mentioned , it does exist .

Sanitation scores for the different cruise ships can be found at cdc.gov Anyhow, I hope you can cruise at ease and not worry so much about germs.

That is worrying is that I am looking at a product here that on the labels says "effective against norovirus". Of course the manufacturers definition of 'effective' may differ from yours but if it is untrue I would have expected the authorities to be extremely unhappy with such a claim.

the active ingredients are benzalkonium chloride and dodecyl dimythyl ammonium chloride

it also says on the label use when soap and water are not available so the good old washing your hands is the best

Edited by davecttr

I feel sorry that you are so anxious on holiday fangedrose. I thought I was quite particular and always take reasonable precautions such as: wiping all the hard surfaces down with Clinell an anti-viral spray as soon as we board; use the same spray on my hands regularly; only use the cabin toilet; and use a paper napkin when handling the utensils in the buffet. I'm afraid if I worried as much about hygiene as you I'd never cruise again. Life is a gamble.

Taking things to the extreme that you do fanged rose:

What if somebody who had a sickness bug had handled the salt in the buffet before you?

What if somebody had sneezed over your chair in a lounge?

What if a child had accidentally wee-ed on a seat in the theatre that you sat on?

Do you worry about things like that?

I worked in education for 36 years and experienced far worse things than somebody's nightie in my drawer......... and survived to tell the tale. Roll on Aurora in September and as usual I'll be using the drawers in my bedside table. We don't put our nightwear in them, and like others we find it a little weird that the stewards seem to like arranging things on the bed!

What if a child had accidentally wee-ed on a seat in the theatre that you sat on?

I remember sitting down in the theatre on the MSC Meraviglia on a rocky sea day only to realise there was vomit all over the arm rest of the seat. Lovely.

(Of course we moved away and my husband notified someone)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I feel sorry that you are so anxious on holiday fangedrose. I thought I was quite particular and always take reasonable precautions such as: wiping all the hard surfaces down with Clinell an anti-viral spray as soon as we board; use the same spray on my hands regularly; only use the cabin toilet; and use a paper napkin when handling the utensils in the buffet. I'm afraid if I worried as much about hygiene as you I'd never cruise again. Life is a gamble.

Taking things to the extreme that you do fanged rose:

What if somebody who had a sickness bug had handled the salt in the buffet before you?

What if somebody had sneezed over your chair in a lounge?

I worked in education for 36 years and experienced far worse things than somebody's nightie in my drawer......... and survived to tell the tale. Roll on Aurora in September and as usual I'll be using the drawers in my bedside table. We don't put our nightwear in them, and like others we find it a little weird that the stewards seem to like arranging things on the bed!

No I don't do any of those things you do. I wash my hands before eating, and after toilet of course. Always use a paper towel to upen the public bathroom doors, after observing too many people exiting without washing, or even worse dangling fingers under a drip of water then shaking 'not dry'. Which, I understand, is worse than nothing at all.

But, for some reason, putting clothes that haven't at least been aired into an enclosed space just makes me gob smacked. Never mind any possible bacteria or viruses, there's mildew, moths etc. You never fold and put away clothes that are still damp after washing, but people put damp sweaty nightwear away???

Hi....I think a " problem" is being created when actually there is none. If the OP has it in their mind about " pesky bugs" in drawers and has to be especially careful....for whatever reason...then why not pack a few nighties and put a clean one every night. The clean nighties could be kept in a plastic bag....possibly sealed... in the drawer/wardrobe. On every P&O ship there are free launderettes and driers....take your own detergent....so once you have been to the launderette they could be placed back into the plastic bags. You may need to spend quite some time in the launderette doing that but it may be worth it for you to have peace of mind

It's not my nightie I'm bothered about. It's other peoples.:)

That is worrying is that I am looking at a product here that on the labels says "effective against norovirus". Of course the manufacturers definition of 'effective' may differ from yours but if it is untrue I would have expected the authorities to be extremely unhappy with such a claim.

the active ingredients are benzalkonium chloride and dodecyl dimythyl ammonium chloride

it also says on the label use when soap and water are not available so the good old washing your hands is the best

What I meant was that after searching for about 20 minutes on Google I could not find one mention of any specific chemical compounds effective against the norovirus. All mentioned bleach or some nameless disinfectants , even the CDC. If I was persistent perhaps I’d find something. The two chemicals you mentioned destroy the membrane of bacteria and perhaps viruses, also . Call the number on the label and ask how it is effective against viruses. Soap and water doesn’t kill germs but merely flushes them down the drain .

After getting off a cruise ship in our home city my husband was approached by a local TV station and asked about the outbreak of the norovirus on the ship . He replied , well I believe there was more alcohol dispensed in hand sanitizers than in the drinks served on this cruise.

It's not my nightie I'm bothered about. It's other peoples.:)

If it’s that much of an issue for you (bearing in mind that this thread won’t change what people do), just don’t use the drawers! Can’t see the problem! :rolleyes:

Seems to me the way forward is to burn your nightie and wear something you can go to

dance in at the ships sail away party , knowing you will be bug free on return to your cabin ....

Maybe this ??? :confused:

:cool::cool:

Nice germ free dance moves ;p

Seems to me the way forward is to burn your nightie and wear something you can go to

dance in at the ships sail away party , knowing you will be bug free on return to your cabin ....

Maybe this ??? :confused:

:cool::cool:

Nice germ free dance moves ;p

I refer you to #143

I refer you to #143

And if you also bought the suit then you would not come into contact with anyone's nightie ,would you ?:confused:

Wouldn't life be great if our main worry in life was where my Mrs put her Nightie down ?:D

Back to the footie and beer for me :):cool:

What I meant was that after searching for about 20 minutes on Google I could not find one mention of any specific chemical compounds effective against the norovirus. All mentioned bleach or some nameless disinfectants , even the CDC. If I was persistent perhaps I’d find something. The two chemicals you mentioned destroy the membrane of bacteria and perhaps viruses, also . Call the number on the label and ask how it is effective against viruses. Soap and water doesn’t kill germs but merely flushes them down the drain .

When we had a Noro virus at work (yes you don't just get it on cruise ships :')) the Public Health Authority recommended Clinell and that's what we always take with us

When we had a Noro virus at work (yes you don't just get it on cruise ships :')) the Public Health Authority recommended Clinell and that's what we always take with us

We were recommended the following on CC and have used it as the foam and with the wipes ever since. If you put the following in Amazon or Google it will come up

Serenity Hygiene

Thank you for the reference. It is available on Amazon and we’ll be taking it with us on future cruises. Lysol to Go is not for use on skin or clothing.

I think Fangedrose is having some fun with us at our expense. Just briefly looked at : “ Returning to Cabin after a Swim “ posted by Fangedrose.

Anyway , I learned something , here.