No Park West Gallery on the Carnival Horizon and Panorama?

cdm289

I saw that there is no Park West Gallery on the Carnival Horizon and Panorama. I was wondering if Carnival was doing away with these art auctions. Not that this would break my heart as I find the art people annoying and have gone twice (I forgot how annoying it was the first time) and will not buy art or go again. I just thought it was odd that it was on all the ships except for the new ones. Perhaps Carnival has contracts on the older ships and is phasing them out?

I wish all cruise ships would do away with the art galleries and replace those areas with some sort of other entertainment venue. How many people out of the millions that sail each year purchase artwork? In my opinion, probably not enough to justify taking up that much space on every ship. Artwork is losing value anyhow.

Could use those spaces for (paid) dance lessons, more bingo more hours of the day, some kind of group participation games, members-only club for 18-20 year olds, cooking demos, port lectures (not intensive sales generators, rather educational/informative/cultural awareness content), etc.

I read something that said Park West Gallery is not renewing the contracts with the cruise lines. the art gallery and auction was removed from other cruises lines too.

I hope you are right, my Google search just now only produced this thread on the topic :(

I’d like to see more shops selling a bigger variety of Carnival branded merchandise at various price points from blankets to hoodies. Oh yeah, more plush toys for kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be the best cutback, change, or enhancement in a long time. Lot less crap paper in the stateroom. Maybe it would keep a delivered funtimes hard copy around a little longer.

The Spirit just came out of dry-dock & one of it's upgrades was the removal of Park-West studio & replaced with Soul-Play. Where you can paint, draw & create different things eg Beach Bags. Small charge but relaxing & fun..

Holland America is cancelling their contract with Park West, replacing it with a London based gallery. Nobody bid on anything above $50 - $100 except me, at the one auction we went to last month. We asked about the price of a painting that ended up being $1,800, but they asked me to pretend like I was purchasing so that I could get the "discount pricing" quote later that day. Shill bidders, right here! ;p

Could use those spaces for (paid) dance lessons, more bingo more hours of the day, some kind of group participation games, members-only club for 18-20 year olds, cooking demos, port lectures (not intensive sales generators, rather educational/informative/cultural awareness content), etc.

Those are some great suggestions. Hope they put the space to good use.

Holland America is cancelling their contract with Park West, replacing it with a London based gallery. Nobody bid on anything above $50 - $100 except me, at the one auction we went to last month. We asked about the price of a painting that ended up being $1,800, but they asked me to pretend like I was purchasing so that I could get the "discount pricing" quote later that day. Shill bidders, right here! ;p

On the last cruise, we suspected that someone was fake bidding and now we know that they do ask people to do that. Thank you for sharing.

I have seen on two occasions that people have brought a Park West Gallery art piece to Pawn Stars (the TV show) and found out their masterpiece wasn't worth a lot of money. The last one I saw had a Rembrandt etching. The art expert said that Park West Galleries bought old plates that the original etchings were made from and then made thousands of new ones. It was worth little as it wasn't from the ones Rembrandt had done years ago.

If Park West doesn't renew their contracts on cruise ships, where are they going to peddle their wares?

The Spirit just came out of dry-dock & one of it's upgrades was the removal of Park-West studio & replaced with Soul-Play. Where you can paint, draw & create different things eg Beach Bags. Small charge but relaxing & fun..

I would do that. Apparently they do this activity on the Carnival ships that are in Australia. The activity had spilled over into the Alaska cruises that year and John Heald had asked who would be interested in this.

Good thing IMHO. I never saw anything in any of the Park Galleries on any ship that remotely captured my interest to attempt to buy. In fact, DW and I often asked each other ,"who would ever buy this crap?"

To each his own, what is crap to you has value to others. I’m sure we can take a walk thru your house and ask the same question you and DW ask each other.

• Like 1

Good thing IMHO. I never saw anything in any of the Park Galleries on any ship that remotely captured my interest to attempt to buy. In fact, DW and I often asked each other ,"who would ever buy this crap?"

I agree that most of it is unappealing, but I do like Patrick Guyton's work. I haven't purchased anything due to the prices.

In January, the Triumph and the Dream had the same painting for the guess the price event. It was a person with an umbrella. It looked like a rainbow fire hydrant.