Bringing Wine - Corkage Fee?

we were not charged a corkage fee on Adventure in April - it was day three, we already knew our waiter, my wife said she felt like wine, and i asked if he would charge a corkage fee if we brought it in. he said no, and thus i returned with the "already corked" bottle (which she finished, like a champ). My wife always walked in with a quite full glass of wine, too.

As I'm reading this, I'm looking directly at the selection of wine I'm bringing with me on our cruise on Friday on Adventure. Luckily, I'm in the wine business, and have access to pretty nice bottles, so even if they do charge a $15 corkage fee, I'm ahead of the game. Most of the wines I got free through work, and are worth $75+ wholesale, so to pay a small fee wouldn't bother me to enjoy these beautiful bottles at dinner. I didn't know they'd decant, even if they don't charge, that would be worth an extra tip to the waiter.

2 questions though, are we allowed to bring a bottle opener (wine key) with us on the cruise? And, do the "refrigerators" in the room hold a bottle of white to chill?

A ... 2 questions though, are we allowed to bring a bottle opener (wine key) with us on the cruise? And, do the "refrigerators" in the room hold a bottle of white to chill?

Yes, you can bring a corkscrew. The coolers will hold a bottle if it's inserted diagonally, but it would get cooler if you ask the stateroom attendant for a wine bucket with ice.

I didn't know they'd decant, even if they don't charge, that would be worth an extra tip to the waiter.

Unlike all the other service charges and somewhat explicit 18% grats charges, one would assume the $15 in this case does NOT go to the crew.

Unlike all the other service charges and somewhat explicit 18% grats charges, one would assume the $15 in this case does NOT go to the crew.

So perhaps a direct correlation why the staff are loathe/ unwilling/ less than enthusiastic about pursuing the charge??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So perhaps a direct correlation why the staff are loathe/ unwilling/ less than enthusiastic about pursuing the charge??!!

They may also be concerned with getting a bad rating on the email evaluations.

As I'm reading this, I'm looking directly at the selection of wine I'm bringing with me on our cruise on Friday on Adventure. Luckily, I'm in the wine business, and have access to pretty nice bottles, so even if they do charge a $15 corkage fee, I'm ahead of the game. Most of the wines I got free through work, and are worth $75+ wholesale, so to pay a small fee wouldn't bother me to enjoy these beautiful bottles at dinner. I didn't know they'd decant, even if they don't charge, that would be worth an extra tip to the waiter.

2 questions though, are we allowed to bring a bottle opener (wine key) with us on the cruise? And, do the "refrigerators" in the room hold a bottle of white to chill?

12 years in the business myself. One of the best careers I had before retiring! Never had to worry about having my wine cellar stocked with interesting treasures to share! :D:hearteyes:

I always carry one or two wine keys in my suitcases and carry on. Bummer though when I forget to pull them out of my carry on when I fly...lost a lot of favorites that were given to me by suppliers. :(

Agree with Bob...prefer full stocked ice in my wine bucket in the cabin to the "almost cool" little fridge. Cabin attendant always refills it for me twice a day. A good chilled glass of "Kiwi SB" while sitting on the balcony is one of my favorites!

A good chilled glass of "Kiwi SB" while sitting on the balcony is one of my favorites!

You had me til Kiwi SB! LOL!!! We sell Oyster Bay, our absolute biggest NZ SB and I refuse to drink it, HATE grapefruit!

So you might be interested in what I'm bringing along!!! Daou Soul of a Lion 2013, Stonestreet Cougar Ridge 2008, Hartford Warrior Princess 2015, Flowers PN Sea View Ridge 2013, Louis Roederer Rose 2008, Trimbach Riesling Frederic Emile 2008...Super Excited to bring these gems!!!! Was going Cabernet heavy, but decided to lighten it up a little bit.....Can't wait to get on the Ship in 36 hours or so!!!!!!

I always carry one or two wine keys in my suitcases ...

I learn new stuff every day - I thought a 'wine key' was just your American word for a corkscrew but my friend google informs me....

A sommelier knife, waiter's friend or wine key is a corkscrew in a folding body similar to a pocket knife. It was conceived by the German Karl Wienke in 1882 and patented in Germany, England, and America. An arm extends to brace against the lip of the bottle for leverage when removing the cork.

You had me til Kiwi SB! LOL!!! We sell Oyster Bay, our absolute biggest NZ SB and I refuse to drink it, HATE grapefruit!

So you might be interested in what I'm bringing along!!! Daou Soul of a Lion 2013, Stonestreet Cougar Ridge 2008, Hartford Warrior Princess 2015, Flowers PN Sea View Ridge 2013, Louis Roederer Rose 2008, Trimbach Riesling Frederic Emile 2008...Super Excited to bring these gems!!!! Was going Cabernet heavy, but decided to lighten it up a little bit.....Can't wait to get on the Ship in 36 hours or so!!!!!!

Ah...wonderful choices! The DH loves his Cab...but tends to really swoon when we pick up a nice old vine Zin.

Not really a fan of Oyster Bay...it used to be better than it is now. Cloudy Bay is a favorite though. ;) Yeah, I am a Grapefruity wine drinker. Love that acid! Eat a lot of seafood and find it goes well with it. Had a bottle with our lobster up here in Maine a few days ago. :hearteyes: Helps to cut the dripping butter on that lobster! ;)

Edited by island lady

I learn new stuff every day - I thought a 'wine key' was just your American word for a corkscrew but my friend google informs me....

A sommelier knife, waiter's friend or wine key is a corkscrew in a folding body similar to a pocket knife. It was conceived by the German Karl Wienke in 1882 and patented in Germany, England, and America. An arm extends to brace against the lip of the bottle for leverage when removing the cork.

Very good! :D The reason they call it "waiters key" also is because it is so easy to slip into a pocket of a waiter...being slim and compact. My favorite version has a double joint on it...making it easier to pull the cork on the bottle in two moves.

Ahh..Biker...silly boy. Don't have to be a wine snob to enjoy wine.

The Golden rule of wine?

"The best wine is the wine you like the best!". :D:cool:

Cheers! :wine-glass::wine-glass::bottle-pop::champagne-toast:

Ahh..Biker...silly boy. Don't have to be a wine snob to enjoy wine.

The Golden rule of wine?

"The best wine is the wine you like the best!". :D:cool:

Cheers! :wine-glass::wine-glass::bottle-pop::champagne-toast:

I agree.

I opened a bottle of Asti that someone had gave us.

It was only 7% and sweet but it was nice.

I thought you could only bring on two bottles per cabin? Disclaimer: never been on RC before, just booked today so I'm trying to figure everything out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk