Drinks measures

We have not sailed with HAL before. On previous cruises, we had drinks package and the issue of the measures used for wine by glass and spirits were not an issue.

We will be paying as you go on this cruise and we are interested in what sort of measures we will get for wines by the glass or spirits.

My experience has been that all drinks are made to standard pours -- 1.5 ounces of most spirits, 5-6 ounces of wine, and 12 ounces of beer. I have not seen the bartenders with any measuring devices, so my guess is they have to pass a test that involves being able to free pour the standard measures.

I have not found that the bartenders on the ships skimp on the pours.

We have found that on some ships that drinks can be skimpy. Maybe it is because of what we order. Grey Goose on the rocks -- 1 ounce.

We don't order wine by the glass any more -- just bottles. Maybe that has changed. When we did order by the glass -- it was 4 ounces.

My perception is that on the main stream cruise ships that I have been on, they ALL have a skimpy pour for wine compared to moderately priced local restaurants at home. That's why we buy wine by the bottle. If you'd like a glass and just a little more, you can have it. The wine stewards are usually very accommodating.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have found that on some ships that drinks can be skimpy. Maybe it is because of what we order. Grey Goose on the rocks -- 1 ounce.

We don't order wine by the glass any more -- just bottles. Maybe that has changed. When we did order by the glass -- it was 4 ounces.

This is our concern, 1 oz for spirits and 4 oz for wine by glass is nonsense. We hope that things have changed. Whilst we are not expecting free pour , we are looking for a least 1.5 oz for spirits and at least 5 oz for wines.

We suppose that we were spoiled when had drink packages, we could always get another if we thought that measure was mean.

We are likely to buy wine by bottle. We also aware that we can get 16 oz karafes of some wines .

This is our concern, 1 oz for spirits and 4 oz for wine by glass is nonsense. We hope that things have changed. Whilst we are not expecting free pour , we are looking for a least 1.5 oz for spirits and at least 5 oz for wines.

We suppose that we were spoiled when had drink packages, we could always get another if we thought that measure was mean.

We are likely to buy wine by bottle. We also aware that we can get 16 oz karafes of some wines .

If you’re concerned about the pour and you’ve had the drink package before (and based on your comments, liked it), then perhaps you should reconsider purchasing the drink package for this cruise? [emoji848] But to answer your specific question, we’ve not experienced any issue with the amount of pour on HAL ships.

If you’re concerned about the pour and you’ve had the drink package before (and based on your comments, liked it), then perhaps you should reconsider purchasing the drink package for this cruise? [emoji848] But to answer your specific question, we’ve not experienced any issue with the amount of pour on HAL ships.

Drinks package was included as perk. Whilst they’ve been costed into the cruise price, we would be reluctant to purchase the drinks package. On our upcoming cruise, we have six ports of call and we are likely to buy a few drinks whilst ashore.

My experience is that a wine glass pour is standard sized, fleet wide.

A liquor pour will depend upon the bartender. Some use a jigger; some don't. I have found that if a bartender remembers you from a past cruise, the pours are generous.

My information is about a year and a half old, but we tend to pay pretty close attention to the pours. Liquor is typically a measured jigger or 1.5 oz. Wine is 5 glasses to a bottle which works out to pretty close to 5 oz.

I have found that most bartenders on HAL pour roughly the same. On occasions there has been one who pours a little heavier and we become friends... I'm talking cocktails, not wine. I usually buy a bottle that follows me around from restaurant to restaurant to have with my meals.

I have found that most bartenders on HAL pour roughly the same. On occasions there has been one who pours a little heavier and we become friends... I'm talking cocktails, not wine. I usually buy a bottle that follows me around from restaurant to restaurant to have with my meals.

Buying a bottle of a favorite wine, it will be saved at the Lounge where it was purchased, but it can be retrieved from that site wherever on the ship one may be. It's a much more inexpensive option than buying wine by the glass.

Having had beverage packages on prior HAL cruises either thru the Explore 4 package marketing sales deal (or purchases) I can tell you that #5 wine pours = a 750 ml bottle of typical wine.

Another words, we we're able to just have our beverage package used for a bottle of wine at diner or to carry back to our cabin (or both) without going thru the per glass transaction. Just have you're wine steward become you're new 'best friend'. They are quite helpful.

5 oz. = 150 ml X 5 = 750 ml = bottle of wine.

In so far as the liquor pours, they we're always a 1.5 oz. standard pour, if I recall and would often use the 'beverage package' for #2 pours ( 3 oz.) in the same glass for a cocktail or after dinner drink on the rocks (e.g. Maker's Mark, Grand Marnier).

We try to do our part in 'saving the planet' by minimizing glass washing and such.

Good luck.

Be well & safe travels.

Bob:)

Edited by prescottbob
spelling