Medallion net

Jacob0525

67mbps!?!!?! :o

WOW. Amazing. Is this for real?

This is our first time on CB (11/25) and to think we signed on just in time for this. I’m the dunce who normally buys something immediately after a significant upgrade.

Upload is awful but I just don’t care about that.

I bought the package for the entire trip.

YAY!!! :D

Thanks for the exciting post.

67mbps!?!!?! :o

WOW. Amazing. Is this for real?

This is our first time on CB (11/25) and to think we signed on just in time for this. I’m the dunce who normally buys something immediately after a significant upgrade.

Upload is awful but I just don’t care about that.

I bought the package for the entire trip.

YAY!!! :D

Thanks for the exciting post.

It's for real! My husband has been streaming MLB games in the evenings out on the balcony.

I just did another speed test from our balcony with the door closed. The ship is halfway between Princess Cays and St. Thomas. Here are the results from that:

Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 2 ms

Server: Miami, FL

Your Internet speed is fast

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos at the same time.

The record satellite downlink to a cruise ship is 1.5Gbps, set by Regal last Feb while she was in

the Caribbean Sea. Caribbean Princess is using the same setup = just shy of one simultaneous

full-up video stream for every other passenger. :hearteyes:

(Above/below of 48ºN/S, ships pay a lot (even 10x) more for satellite downlinks, so YMMV).

Oh! "Latency"? The cheap-bandwidth satellites are in much lower orbits (12hr vs 24hr) so radio

waves take half the time to reach them = that part of your latency is cut in half. That being said,

it takes around 60msec for radio waves just to get up to an MEO satellite, so those 1 and 2 msec

latency reports mean the `ping` and reply never left the ship, nevermind the "Server: Miami".

Edited by Haboob

• 3 weeks later...

On CB right now for the 20 day voyage.

This may already be posted but MedallionNet is awsome.

Always on, unlimited and way fast. At this point Platinium and Elite are N/C...

Roll out is still the hush!

CB is almost 90% complete with Ocean Medallion, probably done by end of our voyage on 9/28/18. Everything appears to be working. They had a seminar and said entire Princess fleet is on a 2 year build-out...

Now we're spoiled, probably have to go back to old system for our next 3 voyages or more. Thats going to be hard to do...

On CB right now for the 20 day voyage.

CB is almost 90% complete with Ocean Medallion, probably done by end of our voyage on 9/28/18. Everything appears to be working.

Does that mean all of the features are working or just the basic stuff (unlock cabin door, make purchases, log you off of and on to the ship, etc.)?

By all the features I mean such abilities as locate (with their permission) another passenger on the ship using a digital device and being able to order from you cabin a beverage and have it waiting for you when you reach the designated bar?

Does that mean all of the features are working or just the basic stuff (unlock cabin door, make purchases, log you off of and on to the ship, etc.)?

By all the features I mean such abilities as locate (with their permission) another passenger on the ship using a digital device and being able to order from you cabin a beverage and have it waiting for you when you reach the designated bar?

Your correct, just the basics they consider the 80%. The last 20% they seem to believe are the rest of the features you mentioned which should just fall in place.

Anboard you can feel the advavces happening, they are constantly testing but not sure how far they are. I feel the basics are down, example would be, door locks seemed to have to learn your aproach over several days. Talked to a lot of people that experienced that, then it works perfect.

Its a big challenge I believe...

Very satisfied so far but we are the testers on this (CP) and Regal...

We had Medallion Net on the Caribbean Princess and on the Regal April TA (until she lost the hook up). It was fantastic. For the first time we could attach photos to our emails with no problems.

We used our laptop on both cruises to stream programs from the internet with as good or better results than at home.

Medallion Net is the best part of the upgrade. The other stuff is just gee whiz glitz.

We will miss having it on the Crown TA in November.

P&J

Now that we are further down the schedule, has anyone seen a list of ships with MedallionNet upgrades? They are the only ones I could cruise.

My wife is excited because she likes Princess but I can only cruise Royal Caribbean (their Voom internet has used O3B satellites for several years) because I need to be able to handle emergencies and I cannot go seven or more days without Internet (before you get on my case about relaxing... it's far more relaxing to choose not to work than to be unable to).

Last spring I was able to sit on my balcony cruising through the Caribbean, drinking an iced coffee, doing an emergency remote malware removal on a client's computer in British Columbia, while talking to them on my cell phone using Wifi Calling. Meanwhile, my wife notified her block watch list about a car break-in at one of our neighbors.

Without O3B Internet I could never take a long cruise like the transatlantic we are taking in December.

Bingo,we are on the CB right now, start our 2nd 10 days tomorrow.

Seminarstated CB and Regal are only 2 under works at present, future ships are being kept hush forsure.

Weare under test mode now and probably same for our 2nd 10 days then system goesto a pay, unlimited, always on service for all including Platinum and Elite.Right now under test it is free to those 2 groups. Has worked flawless so far.

Todaythey issued business cards to all of us going ashore in Nassau. It was forfree unlimited internet while in town??? Go figure???

Itwas the 1st time they have tried this and made it available.

Not sure how they are doing it but it was successful!

Card:

enhance

enhance

To the best of my knowledge and what has been reported on cc, Regal and Caribbean Princess ships are the only two to have the upgraded internet service so far.

It's a bit confusing.

Only Regal and Caribbean have "Medallion Net", but the exact same unlimited-minutes bandwidth is

currently offered on Emerald as "PrincessCONNECT", and I've heard on Coral and Island(?), too.

Todaythey issued business cards to all of us going ashore in Nassau. It was forfree unlimited internet while in town??? Go figure???

Itwas the 1st time they have tried this and made it available.

Not sure how they are doing it but it was successful!

Card:

enhance

enhance

How was the speed and reliability for you?

Speed? Totally unreal & have heard of zero issues.

In Nassau? I meant the wi-fi in downtown Nassau today, not on the ship. Ship wi-fi has been amazing.

PS Deb, where were you, didn't recall running into you at the Sail Away or M&G on the 9/8 voyage?

Nope, didn't do sail away or M&G. Hubby fell in FLL on turnaround day so didn't do much around the ship this week other than babysit him. Although I think I saw the two of you coming out of the aft elevators yesterday...

This is good news. Cruise personalizer for my Regal cruise next year has unlimited internet at a good price.

If the speed is half as good as users have claimed, I will be very happy.

As long as it works most of the time and unlimited doesn't have any sneaky restrictions.

Jim

Princess is still experimenting with what "unlimited minutes" will mean, so YMMV a *lot*.

They seem to be gravitating to some variation of 3 "tiers" of unlimited minute internet-at-sea:

• "Social" = Locked into the big social media sites. Maybe with, maybe without, any email.

• "Surf" = Most sites, but no streaming: Fox News' "On now" thumbnail stream is an empty box.

• "Stream" = Most sites, and streaming supported. YouTube and Skype work just fine.

FWIW, when I was on Princess' sister company's Eurodam, I could use GMail, but not my

normal email server (provided by my ISP) until I upgraded from their version of "Social".

BTW, I'm getting hints that Platinum and Elite are getting "Social" and needing to pay to

upgrade if they want Drudge Report or a non-Facebook blog. Nothing specific yet though.

We are booked on the Regal for departure from New York on Oct. 6. We signed up for unlimited internet for 7 days for $59.00 It was the only option.

We are traveling with friends who are Platinum level. They received an e-mail saying that they would have Medallion Net free internet service for the week. -- EBC

Princess is still experimenting with what "unlimited minutes" will mean, so YMMV a *lot*.

They seem to be gravitating to some variation of 3 "tiers" of unlimited minute internet-at-sea:

• "Social" = Locked into the big social media sites. Maybe with, maybe without, any email.

• "Surf" = Most sites, but no streaming: Fox News' "On now" thumbnail stream is an empty box.

• "Stream" = Most sites, and streaming supported. YouTube and Skype work just fine.

FWIW, when I was on Princess' sister company's Eurodam, I could use GMail, but not my

normal email server (provided by my ISP) until I upgraded from their version of "Social".

BTW, I'm getting hints that Platinum and Elite are getting "Social" and needing to pay to

upgrade if they want Drudge Report or a non-Facebook blog. Nothing specific yet though.

Well, to not anger the faithful, I'd think they'd give them the "Stream" package, probably with the current minutes limitation and then if they want more, offer the unlimited plans at a discounted and pro-rated price.

Well, to not anger the faithful, I'd think they'd give them the "Stream" package, probably with the current minutes limitation and then if they want more, offer the unlimited plans at a discounted and pro-rated price.

As I said, "YMMV a *lot*".

As I understand it, Emerald is giving just that, and Caribbean is giving "Social", each labeled

"limited time offer".

See upthread for Regal currently, but it has *no* internet on offer for next spring's trans-Atlantic.