Medallion net

Jacob0525

I'm on the CP 28SEP18 and I called to ask some of the same questions. I was told you still get the free minutes and then you can purchase by the day when your minutes have been used up. She told me it would be $14 and some change per day. I've been reading other posts that claims it's $19 per day. I figured the 250 minutes wouldn't last too long with two of us using them (one device at a time though) on a 10 day cruise.

Since you are either elite or platinum to get the minutes, if your cabin mate is also platinum or elite, that person will also get 240 minutes.

I think you are on the CB and not the CP. So Princess might still be giving platinum/elite passengers the unlimited package at no cost on the CB.

Edited by caribill

Actually, GEO (Geostationary Equatorial Orbit) satellites don't fare well in the north nor in the south because of another inconvenient law of physics: signal attenuates with the square of the distance. There are complex tradeoffs of power, speed, bandwidth and beam width, but Satellites at 36,000 km vs. 8000 km only 1/20 of the power reaches the surface (all things being equal).

To get less loss (more gain) they reduce the beam size to the minimum they need (think spotlight vs flashlight vs a naked bulb).

While the physical limit for GEO satellites is 80° N, most satellites don't waste power and bandwidth extending the beam to areas with little or no population, degrading performance to everyone else. Much of the atlantic has no land, hence little or no coverage from GEO beams, and there is very limited coverage and available bandwidth north of 60°.

MEO and LEO satellites are just scooting over the ocean with little to do but help us cruisers watch our cat videos. Once SES launches their O3B inclined orbit satellites in 3 years the northern range will be extended.

(Yes, I simplified the math. I rounded the numbers and ignored the cosine rule and other calculations. It's not rocket science. Rocket science has way more greek letters.:D)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 2:13 AM, drpack said:

I'm on the CP 28SEP18 and I called to ask some of the same questions. I was told you still get the free minutes and then you can purchase by the day when your minutes have been used up. She told me it would be $14 and some change per day. I've been reading other posts that claims it's $19 per day. I figured the 250 minutes wouldn't last too long with two of us using them (one device at a time though) on a 10 day cruise. I calculated what I thought the extra days would cost and decided it would be better to just buy the pre-cruise 10 day package for $69.99. They claim it's only $9.99 per day, but that's for a 7 day cruise. I don't know if someone messed up or if they just decided to keep the price the same. So it comes to $6.99 per day on a 10 day cruise. I thought I might see if it's possible to also get my free 250 minutes so we could use two devices at the same time, until the 250 minutes is used up.

Well it turned out that they were still giving the Platinum and Elite members free Medallion Net. They just credited my onboard account for the $69.99 I had paid for the service.

• 3 months later...

Looks like Royal Princess now has MedallionNet.  A few weeks ago I logged into the Princess portal to see some very basic daily internet packages that appeared very pricey.  I've just logged in there now & there's only one option with that being MedallionNet and 50% off if you book pre-cruise.

Edited by phil-1974

8 hours ago, phil-1974 said:

Looks like Royal Princess now has MedallionNet.  A few weeks ago I logged into the Princess portal to see some very basic daily internet packages that appeared very pricey.  I've just logged in there now & there's only one option with that being MedallionNet and 50% off if you book pre-cruise.

We found the pre cruise unlimited deal if offered is an excellent price.

I would not hesitate to purchase again pre cruise on a Medallion Net ship

IE: Regal 10 day @ $69.

It was $10 per day if purchase onboard.

5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We found the pre cruise unlimited deal if offered is an excellent price.

I would not hesitate to purchase again pre cruise on a Medallion Net ship

IE: Regal 10 day @ $69.

It was $10 per day if purchase onboard.

We were on the CP Inaugural MedallionNet cruise, it was free for all on several of the 20 day voyages because it was under testing.

Any notice how they are working this for Platinum and Elite. On that cruise they were not sure how it was going to work...

1 minute ago, finucane said:

We were on the CP Inaugural MedallionNet cruise, it was free for all on several of the 20 day voyages because it was under testing.

Any notice how they are working this for Platinum and Elite. On that cruise they were not sure how it was going to work...

We were onboard the CB too when they had the free unlimited. Loved it.

There have been some posts where a discount was given in lieu of the free minutes. But nothing consistent yet that I have seen. 

9 hours ago, phil-1974 said:

Yes, this! I originally purchased internet minutes for our upcoming Royal Cruise. Now that offer does not exist. Instead, they have the MedallionNet. Should I cancel the $199 minutes I already purchased or keep both the MedallionNet AND the “minutes?” There are 2 of us one is platinum with free minutes. I’m trying to learn what to do from someone who may have experienced the same situation. 

E9628696-0B6F-4AD6-A7D7-304017EAD238.png

000AB2B4-1812-4276-89A2-9EB453EEA224.jpeg

5 hours ago, finucane said:

Thanx, I'll have to contact Princess as we'll be on the Royal...

Thank you

I seriously doubt you will get an accurate answer calling.

I think each ship has their own interpretation so you may have to wait until you are onboard.

However don't let that great pre cruise unlimited price get away.

Pip Pip

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I seriously doubt you will get an accurate answer calling.

I think each ship has their own interpretation so you may have to wait until you are onboard.

However don't let that great pre cruise unlimited price get away.

Pip Pip

Your right, what was I thinking. 

Answers from reps are most often not what you get onboard...

9 minutes ago, mizncg8r said:

MedallionNet is now available on the Ruby

On what sailing, please? I'm sailing on April 8, 2019 and right now there are no internet packages available at all. As of a few days ago, you could still buy the 'Minutes' but those have vanished.

Edited by Cyn874

9 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

On what sailing, please? I'm sailing on April 8, 2019 and right now there are no internet packages available at all. As of a few days ago, you could still buy the 'Minutes' but those have vanished.

We are sailing on September 7, 2019. I purchase my package last night. 59.00 for unlimited.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

It is available  for us on the Feb 18 Ruby 10 day - $69.99

21 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

We are on the Ruby sailing in Alaska starting on May 26.  Only within the last couple days did we see the "MedallionNet Premium" option available, $59.99 per person apparently unlimited.  They claim "save over 50% pre-cruise".

Edited by ziggy29

• 4 weeks later...

Someone has posted this on our rollcall doesnt say where it is from

To meet surging demand from guests, Princess will continue its swift expansion of MedallionNet to add the service on additional ships by the end of 2019. MedallionNet, offering fast, affordable, reliable and unlimited internet service, expands to

Coral Princess and Island Princess in time for the Alaska season,

Crown Princess and Emerald Princess for sailings during this summer to Europe and on

Golden Princess and Sky Princess this fall. MedallionNet is currently available on Caribbean Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess and Ruby Princess.

Hmm!  no mention for Diamond   no satellite in Asia?

There screwing around and secrecy cost us an opportunity to get a great deal on a Ruby transpacific this fall. We are Royally (pardon the pun) ticked as now we have all of our cruises booked until 2021 on the only cruise line that would promise good internet at sea. 

So HERE is the super secret rollout schedule:

Caribbean 2018

Regal 2018

Royal January 19

Ruby January 26

Coral March 2

Island May

Crown June

Emerald July

Majestic September

Sky October

Grand November

Sapphire December

3 hours ago, TechPotato said:

There screwing around and secrecy cost us an opportunity to get a great deal on a Ruby transpacific this fall. We are Royally (pardon the pun) ticked as now we have all of our cruises booked until 2021 on the only cruise line that would promise good internet at sea. 

So HERE is the super secret rollout schedule:

Caribbean 2018

Regal 2018

Royal January 19

Ruby January 26

Coral March 2

Island May

Crown June

Emerald July

Majestic September

Sky October

Grand November

Sapphire December

Unfortunate they have decided that ships that don't sail out of Europe or North America don't deserve it.

Edited by DDG 41

3 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

Unfortunate they have decided that ships that don't sail out of Europe or North America don't deserve it.

Apparently that includes the Golden even though she spends part of her sailing year on the US west coast and Alaska. 

32 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Apparently that includes the Golden even though she spends part of her sailing year on the US west coast and Alaska. 

Yeah, That is why Sapphire Princess is receiving it too with being based in Southampton and Singapore.

1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

Golden is being handed on to P&O Australia in 2020. Star in 2021.

Ruby and Majestic will be sailing Australia and New Zealand for the 2019/20 season.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:27 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

We were onboard the CB too when they had the free unlimited. Loved it.

There have been some posts where a discount was given in lieu of the free minutes. But nothing consistent yet that I have seen. 

a) Platinium/elite members can purchase the unlimited Internet pre-cruise for the same price as anyone else.

b) On board you will be given a choice of either using your free Platinum/Elite minutes or purchasing the unlimited Internet at a discount from the regular onboard price which will make it cost about the same as if you purchased it pre-cruise.

Basically your choice is to either keep your free minutes or give them up to pay the same price that anyone can pay pre-cruise.