Medallion net

Jacob0525

Deb is correct on all. We were on last cruise together and this present one. Next will be pay.

I could be wrong but believe if you purchase entire voyage at once the cost breakdown is $9.99 per day and $24.99 individual days.

Not in cabin right now to check paperwork.

The $9.99 per day for entire voyage is way worth it. Cost of a drink.

DR, the reps know nothing, information is slim onboard from the horses mouth.

Deb is right on the money she's your new Rep!...

On my CP 28SEP18 cruise they are offering:

MedallionNet Voyage Package – Save over 50% pre-cruise! $69.99

Purchase an unlimited internet voyage package for as low as $9.99/day and save over 50%!

Since the cruise is ten days. It actually comes to just $6.99 per day.

Edited by drpack

Purchase an unlimited internet voyage package for as low as $9.99/day and save over 50%!

Yep, that's only available pre-cruise. Once onboard no extra discount applies. It's a great deal for what you're getting!

Edited by idahospud

Yep, that's only available pre-cruise. Once onboard no extra discount applies. It's a great deal for what you're getting!

Princess still hasn't gotten it's MedallionNet act completely together yet. :rolleyes:

For Regal's April '19 trans-Atlantic, you get the "Save over 50% on Wi-Fi pre-cruise" panel on the

"Onboard Reservations" page, but when you click through to the [View Options] page, there are

zero internet options available. Just the "In-Cabin Calling to Shore" for $49.50 / 10 minutes

Princess still hasn't gotten it's MedallionNet act completely together yet. :rolleyes:

For Regal's April '19 trans-Atlantic, you get the "Save over 50% on Wi-Fi pre-cruise" panel on the

"Onboard Reservations" page, but when you click through to the [View Options] page, there are

zero internet options available. Just the "In-Cabin Calling to Shore" for $49.50 / 10 minutes

To far out, it will come until they decide their selling enough onboard and I think thats a ways off.

I think you'll be OK...

As far as having their act together, it is a huge task on each ship, lots to iron out.

Who would care about a cruise 7 months away?

Obviously, things are changing; there are updates from folks on board practically daily.

Why offer something that a customer purchases now, which might change before sailing?

That would just lead to disappointment.

Who would care about a cruise 7 months away?

Obviously, things are changing; there are updates from folks on board practically daily.

Why offer something that a customer purchases now, which might change before sailing?

That would just lead to disappointment.

::smiles::

Well, I for one.

And since they *are* offering internet plans on a cruise 3 months after that. :confused:

it's because it's a TA...and satellites ... and stuff that may or may not be available

mayble...:confused:

Oh, undoubtedly! But it's still an itch that can't get scratched.

A call to Princess + 10 min on hold = "Internet sales for that voyage will only be available on board"

And since they *are* offering internet plans on a cruise 3 months after that. :confused:

Previously, you told us one could tell if a ship had new OB3 hardware installed by whether

per minute, or unlimited internet plans were available.

You seem to have contradicted your own assertion.

Well, I for one.:confused:

Seems disruptive to grab a thread, just to make it about yourself.

Shoot, I've got a cruise planned in May 2019. I definitely care about it and am working on planning it even now. Guess I'm not alone.

You are not alone by any means. A lot of the fun of a cruise is the anticipation, planning details and watching the appropriate cc threads. There simply is no such thing as too soon to start planning. :D:D

My question is what is the price option for platinum/elite passengers who have free minutes? Onboard do they offer an upgrade to unlimited for a fee? If so, is the fee less than if you had purchased it pre-cruise for the price anyone can get?

Well I would just like to point out that for someone like me who a) can only take a cruise every year or two and b) currently can only cruise on Royal Caribbean because I cannot be without the ability to deal with emergencies for a week or two, it is essential to know what will be available 7-12 months out. Our next cruise might be late 2019 or 2020.

By my cruise in December of this year, I need the information to decide if I take the NextCruise deal on RCCL or if I can make my wife really happy by cruising Princess (her favorite cruise line), which has so far been off-limits.

Well I would just like to point out that for someone like me who a) can only take a cruise every year or two and b) currently can only cruise on Royal Caribbean because I cannot be without the ability to deal with emergencies for a week or two, it is essential to know what will be available 7-12 months out. Our next cruise might be late 2019 or 2020.

By my cruise in December of this year, I need the information to decide if I take the NextCruise deal on RCCL or if I can make my wife really happy by cruising Princess (her favorite cruise line), which has so far been off-limits.

Regal's wi-fi last February was even faster than RCCL's Voom℠. But then an "unknown unknown"

bit on her trans-Atlantic in April. The fact that satellite links north of 48ºN (50ºN?) are much

slower and much more expensive than south of it *should* have been well-known but wasn't. :rolleyes:

That leaves Princess in a bind. We now all expect Medallion Net for a price that Princess, barring

some brilliant inspiration, can only provide at a loss for some cruises.

They are working on it. I'm just glad it's "they" and not "I". :o

Edited by Haboob

The good news is that you can make that DW really happy by choosing the right Princess ship and

itinerary. For example, I bought 24/day full-up streaming for my cruise on Emerald (yes, a non-*****

ship) to Hawai'i this December, and have every reason to expect it to work.

We now all expect Medallion Net for a price that Princess, barring

some brilliant inspiration, can only provide at a loss for some cruises.

They are working on it. I'm just glad it's "they" and not "I". :o

The more you understand it the more amazing it is. I spent 10 years designing satellite downlink equipment and 18 years installing home WiFi. It is hard enough getting 120 Mb/s internet throughout a house made of sticks. The thought of doing it in a 3000 compartment honeycomb of Faraday cages is mind boggling.

Then you have a system with dual dishes tracking two moving satellites (at Ka band, no less) from a moving ship... that's like hitting two targets mounted to a train while riding a horse and getting bull's eyes every single time.

I totally concur.

The more you understand it the more amazing it is. I spent 10 years designing satellite downlink equipment and 18 years installing home WiFi. It is hard enough getting 120 Mb/s internet throughout a house made of sticks. The thought of doing it in a 3000 compartment honeycomb of Faraday cages is mind boggling.

Then you have a system with dual dishes tracking two moving satellites (at Ka band, no less) from a moving ship... that's like hitting two targets mounted to a train while riding a horse and getting bull's eyes every single time.

I totally concur.

I'm jaded. :halo:

What boggles me is that the innovation that enables unlimited-minutes is that the satellites in question

fly dishes that link to just one ship. Twelve dishes = sell the exact same "pipe" to twelve different ships.

Internet will be offered on your Princess cruise. The only question is the speed and cost. So you can book Princess and be able to deal with emergencies.

However, on Princess or RCCL or any cruise line, 100% availability of the Internet is never guaranteed. Equipment can break and parts may not be available until a subsequent port.

My question is what is the price option for platinum/elite passengers who have free minutes? Onboard do they offer an upgrade to unlimited for a fee? If so, is the fee less than if you had purchased it pre-cruise for the price anyone can get?

I'm on the CP 28SEP18 and I called to ask some of the same questions. I was told you still get the free minutes and then you can purchase by the day when your minutes have been used up. She told me it would be $14 and some change per day. I've been reading other posts that claims it's $19 per day. I figured the 250 minutes wouldn't last too long with two of us using them (one device at a time though) on a 10 day cruise. I calculated what I thought the extra days would cost and decided it would be better to just buy the pre-cruise 10 day package for $69.99. They claim it's only $9.99 per day, but that's for a 7 day cruise. I don't know if someone messed up or if they just decided to keep the price the same. So it comes to $6.99 per day on a 10 day cruise. I thought I might see if it's possible to also get my free 250 minutes so we could use two devices at the same time, until the 250 minutes is used up.

Nobody at Princess (customer facing) knows. We were considering booking the transpacific next fall but they have no information on weather Ruby Princess will be getting MedallionNet without Ocean Medallion on Ruby by February as previously planned, or at least by September in time for the transpacific.

Just Caribbean, Regal and Sky are all they will say.

Nobody at Princess (customer facing) knows. We were considering booking the transpacific next fall but they have no information on weather Ruby Princess will be getting MedallionNet without Ocean Medallion on Ruby by February as previously planned, or at least by September in time for the transpacific.

Just Caribbean, Regal and Sky are all they will say.

Nobody at Princess knows, period. TPTB got themselves locked into a list of bad choices, and

haven't selected one yet while they pray for a miracle.

They are under intense pressure to roll out a fleetwide policy, but a fleetwide policy won't work.

There is just one constellation of satellites flying a technical innovation that lets SES sell broadband

satellite uplinks for as little as 1/10th of what other satellites charge. Then came the ugly truth: SES'

satellites fly in "Medium Earth Orbit", not up where the legacy satellites orbit, so they don't peek as

far over the curvature of the Earth as do the GEOs, and are below the southern horizon from north

of about Seattle or Southampton.

::gets out the back of an envelop and scratches some SWAG figures::

So... "How do you make a profit on a popular service, when you've lead folks to believe that they

ought to get it for 1/5th of what it costs up north?"

BTW, reports from Grand (and my experience on HAL's Eurodam) are proving that buying just a

normal amount of uplink and slapping on a daily megabyte limit doesn't work.

Considerata: I currently have two voyages booked on Princess ships equipped with MEO dishes. The

one that stays south of Seattle has both buy-the-minute and unlimited-minute internet-at-sea on offer.

The one that goes north of Southampton has no internet-at-sea on offer. Moreover, a call to Princess

resulted in 10 minutes on hold, then a statement that "There are currently no plans to sell internet on

that voyage until boarding"

We just cruised on the Regal TA from Copenhagen to NYC 9/8 to 9/22. Medallion net was free to elite and platinum passengers with full-time connections to each. Service was fast and uninterrupted. We had one device connection per elite included. Do not confuse ***** with Medallion net. They only share the word “Medallion.”

The Regal at this point has only a limited number of the Medallion cabins and all are located in the forward area.