UhOh! bad reaction to the seasickness patch!

It seems as everyone has their own routine of what works for them. I just talked with my cousin who is a M.D and she said that in no way can the patches be cut in half. They will not work at all. It must be a placebo for the people who say they work for them.

How would they not work at all??????

MDs do not know everything.

Some versions will leak out an over dose if cut in half. Others don't.

If ya'll use dramamine, make sure you use ORIGINAL FORMULA and not non-drowsy. That's the key.

It works wonders for me.

Be careful if you choose the Original Formula- I have had motion sickness since I was a baby and Original Formula Dramamine knocks me out! Like sleeping for 2-3 hours. There is no way I could take that on a cruise- I would miss the whole thing!

I take Bonine (meclizine)- I start taking it the morning of the cruise and take 1 pill every 12 hours (the instructions say 1-2 pills per 24 hours). This way I am covered for the whole day without a gap. It is similar (or the same?) as non-drowsy dramamine.

I am just frustrated that they don't sell Bonine for Kids anymore! I have a motion sick 5 year old that I am praying will do ok without the drowsy dramamine! Going to look into Motionease- but am always hesitant to try something like that for the first time on a ship!

OP, i have a couple of questions.

When did the patch come off and when did the cruise end?

Was there a time on the cruise when she didn't wear the patch?

Was the cruise a rough one, big waves?

I use original formula Dramamine only at night, starting about 2-3 nights before my cruise. I take one each night before going to bed. It seems to work well almost all of the time.

Queasy beads have been my saving grace. I am the queen of motion sickness and I’m extremely sensitive to medicine so I can’t use anything. Someone told me about queasy beads and I don’t leave home without them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had the same issue in 2011, never used it again. She needed to get another patch to wear to get through the withdrawal symptoms. I was sick for three days before it finally wore off.

Now I just use Bonine twice a day, and I've never had an issue again.

OP, i have a couple of questions.

When did the patch come off and when did the cruise end?

Was there a time on the cruise when she didn't wear the patch?

Was the cruise a rough one, big waves?

Also, how long was the cruise/how long did she wear the patch?

There are issues if you wear one for an extended period of time.

There's always promethazine aka phenergan. Although it's more appropriate for an acute episode than as a preventative.

Promethazine is a good mediation but it would require a prescription. And yes it’s not for prevention, it’s for acute nausea and vomiting. And it does make you very drowsy. But if you are really sick you usually and thankful and just sleep it off.

I second the warning about regular Dramamine and add a warning about none-drowsy Bonine. When I was a teen I missed a whole day on a cruise because of Dramamine. It just totally knocked me out. Then on my honeymoon DH took none-drowsy Bonine the night before our cruise and boy was he drowsy!! He could barely move on embarkation day. He just felt completely exhausted. So you never know how you’re going to react to a drug.

Our go to is Sea Bands. We first bought them onboard the cruise on our honeymoon since there was no chance we were taking the Bonine. We now swear by Sea Bands and I use them at home as well for car rides, movie theaters and just random vertigo spells. My whole family uses them on cruises and we find them to be amazingly affective. We also drink ginger ale onboard if the ship is really rocking.

I use Bonine/Less drowsy Dramamine (actually the generic version). I cannot take regular Dramamine unless I want to sleep. Sea Bands do not work for me either. I also wonder how the OP knows it was the patch that made his DW sick. She could have caught a virus. I won't use the patch. I know a couple of people who had to quit using it during their cruise due to vision problems. I also like the fact that if seas are calm, I don't have to take as much Bonine. You can't control how much the patch releases.

i also use sea bands...

i have severe motion sickness, not just on ships.

I get severe attacks on land, even when i'm not doing anything.

about 5 years ago, i took my mom and sister on a cruise - oh i can tell you exactly when - it was during hurricane sandy..

the moment i set foot on the ship i was seasick - while we were still in port...

i immediately put on the sea bands i'd brought with me (on the recommendation of my daughter)...

almost instantaneously, i was fine....

my mom and sister were also seasick, so i offered them sea bands as well (i'd brought for all three of us)..

my mom put them on and was immediately better..

my sister refused saying that we were nuts and she had cancer and didn't we understand sea bands wouldn't help..

well that evening, she finally relented and put them on (she was really really really seasick by this point)..

apparently they worked as we didn't hear anymore complaints from her (and she kept them on the entire cruise)..

since then, i've used sea bands on several cruises and i use them on land whenever i get an attack..

i no longer have to take any medicine (i took really powerful dizziness medicine for 20 years before the sea bands)..

in studies, they've shown sea bands to be effective for about 2/3 of the people who try them, so it's worth giving them a try...

How would they not work at all??????

MDs do not know everything.

Some versions will leak out an over dose if cut in half. Others don't.

Well, as a guess, if the medicine is liquid and contained in a membrane system, and you cut it, the medicine could leak out or rapidly evaporate through the cut section.

We've been on 7 cruises and my wife, who gets motion sickness if the scene on TV moves to fast, has always done well with the scopolamine patch... at least until this last cruise. She was fine on the cruise but when the patch wore off she was nauseated and unable to eat well for a week. This could be the end of cruising if I can't find a valid alternative!!!! Please help. Dramamine and Bonine won't do the trick. Is there an alternative?

Search for the Mythbuster's TV show dealing with Sea Sickness. Its conclusion was nothing non prescription beats ginger root tablets available at most health food stores and they work great for my wife and I. If you wife is that bad, you can certainly try it out in other places. Ginger root like taking anything else, may require checking with your doctor, but its pretty benign and at worst causes indigestion on an empty stomach for some.

Hi Bulldog Mommy!

Thanks for your advice in cutting it in half! I think I am going to try it even though the package warns again that. Can you use the "other half" for another three days or is it wasted since it is open? I will make sure to leave patch on for an extra day and a half. We are going for our first time and I get a lot of motion sickness so I am very worried. Thanks for the tips!

Yep, I pre-cut them before I leave and put them pack in the package and tape them up. Warning! DO NOT touch your eyes! Wash your hands well. If you touch your eyes by mistake you will dilate them something awful! Drink plenty of fluids... Have a great trip!

Awesome response!

On previous cruises, my wife has always cut the patch in half and been fine. She wore full patches this time because we've been away from cruising for a while and she probably forgot.

Now, we'll have to schedule another cruise to test your hypothesis.

I hope it helps, it's been a great great thing for me when managed correctly for myself. I wish you guys well, and smooth sailings.

Omg... I wonder if I had this happen to me? I was so nauseous about a day after being on shore and removing patch. I also had other symptoms :(. Well, at least for me, I’d rather live with that than being seasick!

These withdrawal symptoms are usually experienced when you have more dosage than needed.

Was first prescribed the patch when waaaay heavier than now. I am definitely going to cut the patch in half next time, since I’m definitely smaller than “average male”. I am now “petite female” :)

Again, please do not cut the patch in half. Either use the bandaid method, or the method linked above, where you just cut away part of the protective cover and leave part of it covering the membrane.

Again, please do not cut the patch in half. Either use the bandaid method, or the method linked above, where you just cut away part of the protective cover and leave part of it covering the membrane.

Just read the entire thread... will indeed do bandaid method next time :)

This was an informative thread for me. My mother in law wears the full prescription patch throughout the entire cruise.

She changes it to a new patch on the 3rd day.

The doc. probably told her not to do this but, she does what she wants!

I believe that changing it on the third day is what you are supposed to do. My husband can't cruise without them. If he tries after about a week (we like longer cruises) to not put a 3rd one on, he gets sea sick.

marshpastor,

I totally sympathize with your wife. I have had Meniere's disease for 35 years and need the patch to fly. Always have meclizine in my pocketbook, just in case.

However, I don't need the patch or even the pills when I cruise on the Oasis class chips. Have done 4 of them, and even hit a bit of rough seas once. It's amazing, but am getting tired of the same ports. BUT, no patch, no pills-it's definitely worth it!!!