Over packing.

chromered7

I need one of these!

We are both over packers. My husband just says he keeps his eyes down when dragging all the luggage and don't make eye contact with people staring at all the suitcases. He figures if they are judging us we will not ever see 99% of them again after our cruise.

Dying! :'):') This was us on our last 2 week trip. We did a 9 day out of New Orleans and then met friends in town for the rest of the week. On the way to the cruise, I kept saying, we just have to get to the porter. Don't look anyone in the eye....shame...shame!

This thread was great to read! A few months ago I was reading threads on packing that made it sound as though I was in a minority for at not being able to pack in just a carry on. Loved this thread as DH and I typically pack a 26 each plus a small duffle carry on that serves as our last night disembark bag. This is our standard whether it is a 7 or a 15 night cruise and we always do 3-4 days land pre cruise. We always plan for wearing a couple of our dinner outfits twice, which one usually depends on fresheners/cleanliness. Colder climate cruises are a tad more challanging as layers and jackets take more space.

I too pack a lot of “just in case” especially having to trek through St. Maarten a few years ago in search of throat lozenge sand Mucinex. But like previous posters, a small supply of a lot of just in case items fits into a small cosmetic bag.

Truly varies.

When flying SWA I tend to overpack because I can...

But one cruise we had a tight connection & arrived about 1PM in FLL & I was paranoid if we had to wait for luggage if we were running late...SO we did a 7 day cruise with just a carry on & backpack each (and STILL had some unworn clothes!!!)

One thing I figured out quickly is that we change clothes A LOT, so clothing can be worn more than once.

1--breakfast at buffet/beach port days-- 2 pair black shorts & 3 tees cover this

2--pool/beach--1 swimsuit & cover up. I never need more than one. If damp, dries QUICKLY in the sun

3--afternoon after pool time--1 pair casual black capris & 3 tops

(one pair flip flops covers #1-3)

4--evening--I have done this with 2 pair dressy black capris & 7 dressy tops. I might trade some tops for dresses. Can vary. This is where I like MORE--I like a different pair of shoes each night! I rarely get this dressed up at home for nights out so I ENJOY it!

I like how you think. I am going to try on our next cruise to follow your example.

Try putting part of the necklace through a straw, the close the clasp...no tangles. If it's a chunkier necklace cut the toe off an old sock. Loop the half the necklace through and clasp. No tangles.:)

What a great idea!

Slightly tangential to this discussion - I read on another one of the packing threads that the Celebrity laundry took 3 days to come back - those of you with recent experience, like the past year, is that right?

I sent out some laundry on RCCL in 2016, and it came back faster. Three days is long enough to make a difference in what I pack and when I send it.

This was in reference to the mid-cruise laundry special, could that make a difference?

Try putting part of the necklace through a straw, the close the clasp...no tangles. If it's a chunkier necklace cut the toe off an old sock. Loop the half the necklace through and clasp. No tangles.:)

What a great idea! Much better than what I was doing.....I put all my necklaces together and tied them with ribbons at several spots. Thanks for sharing.

At least I read my books on Kindle and don’t fill half a suitcase with books any more.

And I don’t fill the other half with shoes like I used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tried that and for some unexplained reason I prefer an actual book. Maybe it’s a tactile thing. Anyway I now bring only one book that I carry on the plane or in the car to read on the way to the cruise and for the first few days. Then I go to the library and swap it out for another. I have read some great books I might not have otherwise chosen this way.

Except when I’m on the on QM2 where they have an incredible library with a librarian.

DH is like you and loads up the kindle.

Slightly tangential to this discussion - I read on another one of the packing threads that the Celebrity laundry took 3 days to come back - those of you with recent experience, like the past year, is that right?

I sent out some laundry on RCCL in 2016, and it came back faster. Three days is long enough to make a difference in what I pack and when I send it.

This was in reference to the mid-cruise laundry special, could that make a difference?

We no longer send anything out to be laundered. Last couple of times we used it (free coupon for Elite), it took 3 days to come back, items missing and husband's dress shirt damaged. They eventually found the missing items (2 days later) but just not worth the stress and aggravation.

I have a particular necklace that has a delicate gold chain that tangles if you look at it the wrong, and my husband found the straw solution. It works great, but it is a bit of a pain to feed the necklace back through the straw, so I may try the sock approach.

I have a particular necklace that has a delicate gold chain that tangles if you look at it the wrong, and my husband found the straw solution. It works great, but it is a bit of a pain to feed the necklace back through the straw, so I may try the sock approach.

That one has the added benefit of extra padding to the necklace.

Have you considered using a smoothie straw? They are readily available in most supermarkets, party supply stores, etc, and have a much larger circumference (opening) than regular straws. Might just work...

I tried that and for some unexplained reason I prefer an actual book. Maybe it’s a tactile thing. Anyway I now bring only one book that I carry on the plane or in the car to read on the way to the cruise and for the first few days. Then I go to the library and swap it out for another. I have read some great books I might not have otherwise chosen this way.

Except when I’m on the on QM2 where they have an incredible library with a librarian.

DH is like you and loads up the kindle.

I love how Cunard respects books and readers. I wish the other lines had real libraries. Different demographic, they would not be appreciated.

I never thought I would be a convert to Kindle. I love the ease of ending a book and starting a new one. Sometimes I don’t agree with a writer on usage of a word, so I love putting my finger on a word and getting an instant definition. I find myself doing that with the newspaper. Doesn’t work!

The reason I will hold a borrowed book and decide to one click it on Amazon is that I can hold my Kindle in one hand and turn the pages, and carry it in my purse and not notice the weight.

So other than my daily paper and a couple of magazines I’m 100% Kindle!

We met a couple on cruise several years ago who actually have a "cruise closet" in their home. Don't we all have things we typically wear only on cruises? Fancy dresses, tropical shirts, etc. They also keep all the small "what ifs" on shelves in the same closet. We're trying to downsize at this point in our lives, so I told DH I would readily give up several rooms in our home (kitchen, dining room, laundry room!) if I could just have a Christmas closet and a cruise closet.

I love how Cunard respects books and readers. I wish the other lines had real libraries. Different demographic, they would not be appreciated.

I never thought I would be a convert to Kindle. I love the ease of ending a book and starting a new one. Sometimes I don’t agree with a writer on usage of a word, so I love putting my finger on a word and getting an instant definition. I find myself doing that with the newspaper. Doesn’t work!

The reason I will hold a borrowed book and decide to one click it on Amazon is that I can hold my Kindle in one hand and turn the pages, and carry it in my purse and not notice the weight.

So other than my daily paper and a couple of magazines I’m 100% Kindle!

Me too. I also like the idea of being able to enlarge the print on the kindle. I also have my Kindle linked to my iPhone 8 plus. Even easier now

I've been cruise for a while and have been an over packer all my life. I've never had over weight bags or had to pay for extra baggage. ..but I do take it to the limit. We take long vacations with multiple stops and travel across the US to catch all our cruises. We also travel overseas. I pack for any situation I can think of...we paid $10.00 for advice on the ship once. regarding of of it's not worn, I love to have options, and in my daily life I don't get to dress up, wear makeup, or accessories. So being able to play dress up is fun to me. I also pack with organizing tools to keep our room, travel documents and clothing organized. Unless my mobility is affected or I have to pay for extra bags I will continue to be prepared...with my curves it is sometimes hard to buy clothes on vacation . Safe travels everyone.

Me too. I also like the idea of being able to enlarge the print on the kindle. I also have my Kindle linked to my iPhone 8 plus. Even easier now

Being able to switch to reading on your iPhone is great if you forget your Kindle charger like I did. Read on my phone for a week in the mountains.

I've been cruise for a while and have been an over packer all my life. I've never had over weight bags or had to pay for extra baggage. ..but I do take it to the limit. We take long vacations with multiple stops and travel across the US to catch all our cruises. We also travel overseas. I pack for any situation I can think of...we paid $10.00 for advice on the ship once. regarding of of it's not worn, I love to have options, and in my daily life I don't get to dress up, wear makeup, or accessories. So being able to play dress up is fun to me. I also pack with organizing tools to keep our room, travel documents and clothing organized. Unless my mobility is affected or I have to pay for extra bags I will continue to be prepared...with my curves it is sometimes hard to buy clothes on vacation . Safe travels everyone.

I am also of a certain size that isn’t always available. Having to replace it even add to my wardrobe on vacation would be a disaster.

We met a couple on cruise several years ago who actually have a "cruise closet" in their home. Don't we all have things we typically wear only on cruises? Fancy dresses, tropical shirts, etc. They also keep all the small "what ifs" on shelves in the same closet. We're trying to downsize at this point in our lives, so I told DH I would readily give up several rooms in our home (kitchen, dining room, laundry room!) if I could just have a Christmas closet and a cruise closet.

Yes for a cruise closet and Christmas closet. Would love a place to roll the tree --and hide it in its "room/closet" til the following year.

We do keep a couple of bins/baskets with travel items. I may have to rethink the closets in the guest room for travel items. I do keep out of season items in a closet other than the master BR

For my jewelry I use small plastic boxes with partitions in them .They would origionally be for fishing lures or small hardware like nuts and bolts. I'm sure mine are from Walmart. some come with movable partitions so you can have the size you need. If I have a delicate piece I wrap it in tissue and then put it in. My jewelry stays in my boxes year round and in a dresser drawer. Since they are see through I can easily find what I'm looking for.