Royal Caribbean's room rates discriminate wheelchair users

By the way here's an interesting article on a similar matter. Not exactly the same because it's not about cruises, but the thinking is similar.

https://wheelchairtravel.org/disability-tax-ada-accessible-hotel-rooms/

"Charging more for an accessible hotel room is illegal."

"If you are asked to pay more for an accessible hotel room than its non-accessible equivalent, I encourage you to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice."

"By setting a higher price for a room solely on the basis that it is wheelchair accessible, the hotels referenced here have committed both price and disability discrimination in violation of 28 C.F.R. § 36.301©"

You realize that what you are saying is totally illogical don't you? You complain that you can not book the GTY rate and get an accessible cabin and blame it on the cruise line??? That would require the cruise line to make ALL cabins accessible which would place an undue hardship on the cruise line. I am sure in all your wonderful quoting of the Disability Laws the word "Reasonable" came up, did it not?

Personally I think you are lucky to get accessible cabins with only 6 months booking.

I never said they should make all rooms accessible. Of course that's unreasonable. I said that they decided not to make all rooms accessible, and to compensate for that, they need to modify the pricing of the accessible rooms to match that of the non-accessible categories (such as the GTY category).

No, this is not about Going Going Sale. This is a regular booking. Any person can buy the room cheaper than I can at the GTY rate, because they decided not to make all rooms wheelchair accessible. A reasonable compromise is that they sell the wheelchair accessible rooms at the same price they offer regular people.

You keep saying any person can buy the room cheaper than you can and that is not true. Guarantee rates aren't for solo cruisers and very rarely are for cruisers with more than two in the cabin.

You claim you booked in May, why book if you can't get the rate you want? If I don't see a rate I like, I will skip that sailing and book another. You booked, accepting the fare that was on your invoice and paid final payment, if you didn't agree with the fare, you shouldn't make the booking.

Again, the DoT rules say:

"passengers requiring an accessible cabin should be provided the same pricing options available to passengers who do not require an accessible cabin"

To me it's clear that a passenger that requires a wheelchair room should be provided the same pricing option (i.e. GTY) - and it's also obvious that this means that they should give out a room that can actually fit a wheelchair.

Most people in this thread seems to agree that them giving the passenger a non-accessible room counts as "them providing a room" even though the room is obviously not going to work for the passenger. It's the year 2018 and it's sad to hear how many people that still have so much ignorance and incompetence in this matter.

You keep saying any person can buy the room cheaper than you can and that is not true. Guarantee rates aren't for solo cruisers and very rarely are for cruisers with more than two in the cabin.

You claim you booked in May, why book if you can't get the rate you want? If I don't see a rate I like, I will skip that sailing and book another. You booked, accepting the fare that was on your invoice and paid final payment, if you didn't agree with the fare, you shouldn't make the booking.

I booked it because I wanted to go on the cruise. That does not mean I think their pricing is fair.

"passengers requiring an accessible cabin should be provided the same pricing options available to passengers who do not require an accessible cabin"

They are . . . you are just not happy that it is not the cheapest price possible. Again, illogical. LOL

Eh?

If I want to buy the room as a solo cruiser I also have to pay a higher price just like you. I don't understand that comparison.

They are . . . you are just not happy that it is not the cheapest price possible. Again, illogical. LOL

What do you mean? GTY is a pricing option. This sentence says that passengers requiring an accessible cabin should also be provided the GTY pricing option.

What do you mean? GTY is a pricing option. This sentence says that passengers requiring an accessible cabin should also be provided the GTY pricing option.

GTY is a pricing option where the passenger agrees to accept ANY room provided to them by the cruise line in their booked class or above.

You have specifically stated that you are not willing to accept ANY room and as such do not qualify for the terms of that discount.

Royal Caribbean is in compliance with US, as well as the 2015 Consent decree between the US DOJ and CCL, even though they are not by it.

Just as a test, since that decree was the most recent case on this issue, and the strongest terms yet to date. Go to one of the CCL lines and see if you can book an accessible GTY there. If they don't offer it then you can be pretty assured that both US regulations, and current legal interpretation does not require it.

On Princess one of the lines specifically included in the consent decree, accessible cabins are not included in the GTY selection, only in the individual selection of rooms.

Edited by RDC1

GTY is a pricing option where the passenger agrees to accept ANY room provided to them by the cruise line in their booked class or above.

You have specifically stated that you are not willing to accept ANY room and as such do not qualify for the terms of that discount.

If their terms say one thing and the law says another. Which one do you think wins in court?

NO where does that sentence say that people requiring an accessible cabin should be provided the GTY pricing option. THAT is where you are wrong and being illogical about it.

It simply says you have to be provided an accessible cabin at the same rate as a non accessible cabin. Which you are. Like I said, you are just unhappy that you could not get the cheapest rate possible. LOL

Thank you for the laugh, because no matter how many people have explained the EXACT same thing to you, you fail to acknowledge that the cruise lines have in fact complied.

NO where does that sentence say that people requiring an accessible cabin should be provided the GTY pricing option. THAT is where you are wrong and being illogical about it.

It simply says you have to be provided an accessible cabin at the same rate as a non accessible cabin. Which you are. Like I said, you are just unhappy that you could not get the cheapest rate possible. LOL

Thank you for the laugh, because no matter how many people have explained the EXACT same thing to you, you fail to acknowledge that the cruise lines have in fact complied.

I don't understand your interpretation at all...

It says : "passengers requiring an accessible cabin should be provided the same pricing options available to passengers who do not require an accessible cabin"

This means that if a normal passenger can get the pricing option GTY, then a disabled passenger should also get the pricing option GTY. Otherwise the cruise line is not giving disabled passengers the same pricing options.

If you even thought you had a chance in court you wouldn't be posting here.

Of course I would. Taking this to court when I live in Sweden and the cruise line operates in the US is both costly and complicated. This does not mean I don't think I'm right.

If their terms say one thing and the law says another. Which one do you think wins in court?

This has been the way it has been for years. If it was not legal, I'm sure it would have been rectified long ago. Live with it. It's the way it is!

Their rules!

Their company!

It's the way it is with every line!

This has been the way it has been for years. If it was not legal, I'm sure it would have been rectified long ago. Live with it. It's the way it is!

It's the way it is with every line!

Maybe no one raised their voice enough.

Alright, here.

April 25 to May 3, 2020

$1454.78 for an inside, non accessible cabin

$1334.78 for and inside accessible cabin.

How are they NOT providing you with an accessible cabin at the comparable price?????

Your cabin is actually LESS than what I and my hubby would pay.

Again, you are being illogical.