Royal Caribbean's room rates discriminate wheelchair users

We can argue this around and around, about the terms and conditions of a guarantee cabin, but I can say that if Jim Walker hasn't tried this, and blogged about it, then its not going to fly in court. Even he admits there are cases out there with no merit.

We can argue this around and around, about the terms and conditions of a guarantee cabin, but I can say that if Jim Walker hasn't tried this, and blogged about it, then its not going to fly in court. Even he admits there are cases out there with no merit.

My vote for the "quote of the thread" award! Nicely done Chief.

This is discrimination since they are required by law to accommodate also disabled people under the same terms.

No it's not.

GTY you do not pick a room. You get what you're given. We took a GTY as the wheelchair folds up.

You want to pick a room.

Stop trying to play the disability card. You make other passengers travelling with a wheelchair look bad (like us).

Easy solution: cancel your current reservation. Call up Royal Caribbean and tell them you want four GTY cabins for your party. Be sure to explain to them that even though you'd like accessible cabins, you understand that with the GTY rate comes the very likely probability that you will be assigned a regular non-accessible cabin. You are getting a lower fare, and in exchange, the cruise line gets to pick your cabin.

(I'd also like to throw out there that my mother uses a wheelchair. That's another reason we never pick GTY: she needs an accessible cabin, and we all like to be close to each other, not spread out over the ship. When we book, we usually go through American Express. They first find a suitable accessible cabin and then we book from there. Surprisingly, her accessible cabin has always been the exact same price as our non-accessible cabins in the same class. So weird....)

No it's not.

GTY you do not pick a room. You get what you're given. We took a GTY as the wheelchair folds up.

You want to pick a room.

Stop trying to play the disability card. You make other passengers travelling with a wheelchair look bad (like us).

I think I have a right to get the cheapest price cabin like all non-wheelchair people have. It's not about abusing wheelchair privileges or trying to get something I'm not in a need of.

I think I have a right to get the cheapest price cabin like all non-wheelchair people have. It's not about abusing wheelchair privileges or trying to get something I'm not in a need of.

So what are you going to do about it? Have you contacted a lawyer? Do they think you have a case? Really no point in arguing it here.

You can think you have a right all day long, but your opinion does not equal fact.

The fact is that GTY is not a "class" or "type." A class or type would be, for example, oceanview deck 5. So you should be able to get a HC oceanview deck 5 for the same price as a non-accesible oceanview deck 5, assuming it isn't sold out. Same class, same type.

You can think you have a right all day long, but your opinion does not equal fact.

The fact is that GTY is not a "class" or "type." A class or type would be, for example, oceanview deck 5. So you should be able to get a HC oceanview deck 5 for the same price as a non-accesible oceanview deck 5, assuming it isn't sold out. Same class, same type.

It is actually it's own type. Guarantee bookings have type code ZI, YO, XB or WS. In any case it's arguing semantics. DoT makes it clear that all offers to non-wheelchair people need to be offered as accessible accommodation as well.

The DoT PDF also says:

You must:

(4) Reserve accessible cabins upon request by a passenger with disabilities and ensure that the specific accessible cabin reserved by that passenger is held for him or her, even you do not normally hold specific cabins for passengers who make reservations.

(d) If a passenger with a disability seeks to reserve an accessible cabin in a given class of service, and there is not an available accessible cabin in that class of service, but there is an available accessible cabin in a different class of service, you must allow the passenger to reserve that accessible cabin at the price of the requested class of service of the class of service in which the accessible cabin exists, whichever is lower.

It is actually it's own type. Guarantee bookings have type code ZI, YO, XB or WS. In any case it's arguing semantics. DoT makes it clear that all offers to non-wheelchair people need to be offered as accessible accommodation as well.

Why would you think DoT rules apply to a foreign-flagged ship?

Easy solution: cancel your current reservation. Call up Royal Caribbean and tell them you want four GTY cabins for your party. Be sure to explain to them that even though you'd like accessible cabins, you understand that with the GTY rate comes the very likely probability that you will be assigned a regular non-accessible cabin. You are getting a lower fare, and in exchange, the cruise line gets to pick your cabin.

(I'd also like to throw out there that my mother uses a wheelchair. That's another reason we never pick GTY: she needs an accessible cabin, and we all like to be close to each other, not spread out over the ship. When we book, we usually go through American Express. They first find a suitable accessible cabin and then we book from there. Surprisingly, her accessible cabin has always been the exact same price as our non-accessible cabins in the same class. So weird....)

This is our experience also. We have an accessible cabin right beside our son and granddaughter who are in an ocean view. Same categorie(2C), same price. Not GTY

Why would you think DoT rules apply to a foreign-flagged ship?

Because they pick up passengers at a US port.

From the PDF:

(b) If you are the PVO of a foreign-flag passenger vessel, this Part applies to you only if your vessel picks up passengers at a port in the United States, its territories, possessions, or commonwealths.

This is our experience also. We have an accessible cabin right beside our son and granddaughter who are in an ocean view. Same categorie(2C), same price. Not GTY

I know that a specific category is always the same price for disabled vs. non disabled when such an accessible room exists.

The discussion is about pricing for category types (i.e. GTY / ZI / YO etc) that are not bookable by people in need of an accessible room.

I think OP has a point. Able bodied passengers can book any cabin they want from GTY upto OS and above. But wheelchair bound passengers, that need an accessible cabin cannot book GTY ; GS; and above. The highest grade a wheelchair bound passenger can book is a JS, apart from on a couple of ships.

I think OP has a point. Able bodied passengers can book any cabin they want from GTY upto OS and above. But wheelchair bound passengers, that need an accessible cabin cannot book GTY ; GS; and above. The highest grade a wheelchair bound passenger can book is a JS, apart from on a couple of ships.

This means that on most ships there's no way for wheelchair guests to enter the Concierge or Suite lounge, because there's no way to book an accessible proper suite. [Excluding diamond plus...]

I’m abled bodied, but usually travel either solo or with my parents—so stateroom for 1 or 3. In 10 Royal Caribbean Cruises, I’ve never seen a guarantee offered and I check prices often. Royal has no obligation to offer every single rate for every single passenger permutation possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m abled bodied, but usually travel either solo or with my parents—so stateroom for 1 or 3. In 10 Royal Caribbean Cruises, I’ve never seen a guarantee offered and I check prices often. Royal has no obligation to offer every single rate in every single passenger permutation possible.

They have an obligation to not discriminate wheelchair users. That's why anti discrimination exists. Having a wheelchair is not something I chose. Traveling alone or with your parents is something you choose.

They have an obligation to not discriminate wheelchair users. That's why anti discrimination exists. Having a wheelchair is not something I chose. Traveling alone or with your parents is something you choose.

True, although they have provided an acceptable cabin to you at the same rate as the exact same cabin category which is the point trying to be made. If unhappy with the rate, you can then choose to book elsewhere.

True, although they have provided an acceptable cabin to you at the same rate as the exact same cabin category which is the point trying to be made. If unhappy with the rate, you can then choose to book elsewhere.

No, they have not provided a cabin for the same rate. The point of anti discrimination is to make sure you get to pay the same price if you don't have a wheelchair as if you have a wheelchair.

If person A can get cabin X for price $ Y, then person B should be able to get an accessible cabin X for price $ Y.

Example:

Anti discrimination re. accessibility means that if person A can get cabin GTY-Oceanview for price $ 1000, then person B should be able to get an accessible cabin GTY-Oceanview for price $ 1000.

LUDDE

I would like to know your secret for getting 4 handicap rooms. I have booked 1 1/2 years out and have never been able to get one. We have 8 cruises booked for next year and not one is assessable. We always have to book a jr. Spa suite in order to get the large walk-in shower with a seat.

LUDDE

I would like to know your secret for getting 4 handicap rooms. I have booked 1 1/2 years out and have never been able to get one. We have 8 cruises booked for next year and not one is assessable. We always have to book a jr. Spa suite in order to get the large walk-in shower with a seat.

It's two separate BtB cruises and we're two parties traveling with non-foldable electric wheelchairs. You can easily find wheelchair accessible rooms in the search engine on royalcaribbean.com clicking the box that you need an accessible room.

Because they pick up passengers at a US port.

From the PDF:

(b) If you are the PVO of a foreign-flag passenger vessel, this Part applies to you only if your vessel picks up passengers at a port in the United States, its territories, possessions, or commonwealths.

I suggest you go back and read chengkp75's posts on this. Post #24 in particular.