Passport required?

I highly recommend passports and yes I do realize the added cost for a family of 4. I live in PA and our state was delayed in approving the EDL. They finally did approve so if we want to get one, we need to purchase one or we can wait until our license need to be renewed. I must research to see if we need to get one since we have passports. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Are you sure PA has enacted EDL? REAL ID is NOT the same as EDL.

PennDOT estimates REAL ID-compliant driver licenses and identification cards will be available at the customer’s option in 2019.

All this talk about different types of driver's licenses is making my head spin. Just pay the money and get a damn passport. Problem solved. You're good to go for 10 years 👍

Yep, this is the best answer.

And as I have mentioned before, you will be MUCH happier if something happens, and you end up off the ship (med evac, missing the ship or something else), if you have a passport.

And realize that some Carib destinations do NOT have a US Embassy or Consulate, so you will have to figure out how to get from where you are, to the nearest country with a US Embassy to GET a passport.

Don't assume that just because it is a closed-loop cruise you don't need a passport. You need to know the requirements of the countries you intend to visit.

We did a partial Panama Canal transit that was closed loop out of Ft. Lauderdale and included a stop in Costa Rica. The Costa Rican government requires US citizens to have a valid passport to enter the country:

http://www.costarica-embassy.org/index.php?q=node/72

We did a Panama canal closed loop cruise out of FL that stopped in Costa Rica. No passport required.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

All this talk about different types of driver's licenses is making my head spin. Just pay the money and get a damn passport. Problem solved. You're good to go for 10 years 👍

Or just do you research and make sure. Personal choice.

Yep, this is the best answer.

And as I have mentioned before, you will be MUCH happier if something happens, and you end up off the ship (med evac, missing the ship or something else), if you have a passport.

And realize that some Carib destinations do NOT have a US Embassy or Consulate, so you will have to figure out how to get from where you are, to the nearest country with a US Embassy to GET a passport.

It is the easiest, all encompassing answer if one doesn't want to do any analysis or thinking about it. My son got a passport when he went off to college "just in case". Now he's a young father with a boatload of student loan debt and his passport will very likely sit in a drawer gathering dust until it expires because he doesn't have the time or the money to travel. Not the end of the world by any means but not a good "investment", either.

As for ports not having a presence, I think that applies to a majority of them and if you were really right you would have no way to get to an island with said presence without a passport, so essentially you have just made a new home, but it doesn't work that way. I read a thread not too long ago about a passenger that had to disembark from an island just like that and he was allowed to board a plane to the US. It took him about 45 minutes to find someone at the airport that would authorize it (and the port agent had told him to call if he couldn't) and then he spent 10 minutes in secondary inspection when he arrived in the US. I see no reason why the procedure would be any different at any other island (and of course you are returning to the US you aren't catching up with the ship). Yes, there will be delays and some hassle without a passport if something happens but many people are comfortable assuming that slight risk.

So yes, the passport is certainly the easiest option and requires no thought. Unfortunately when we started cruising it cost so much that I had to give it thought because of how much it was. Perhaps if it had just been DW and I then I might have made a different choice (I doubt it, but perhaps).

I find it hard to understand that in today's present climate that any country would let you enter without a valid passport. Plus, one of the best forms of education is foreign travel and experiencing different cultures.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I highly recommend passports and yes I do realize the added cost for a family of 4. I live in PA and our state was delayed in approving the EDL. They finally did approve so if we want to get one, we need to purchase one or we can wait until our license need to be renewed. I must research to see if we need to get one since we have passports. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

If you have a passport then no, you don't need anything else.

I always chuckle at this topic. All my life, I have entered into foreign countries without a passport. However, never really considered Canada foreign, and now the Bahamas is just about 60 miles away on a tiny island that does not require a passport from US citizens. The Caribbean nations are our friends. Did you know you can go to France, in the Caribbean without a passport on a land crossing? Why is that? Because they don't care. The passport is only used for the purpose of getting into the USA. If you are a citizen, you can get into the USA without one, but you will be pulled aside, and have to deal with a bunch of stuff. But you won't be denied entry.

You can actually go down to the mariner in Bahamas and look around for a person to give you a lift home. You could do that, and may never be asked for ID once you are back home.

Yes, you should have a passport, but no, you don't need it, and if you are a family of four, going on a 4 day cruise, getting a passport is an extra $600.00. I wouldn't do it. I didn't do it. I only have one because of European travels.

I find it hard to understand that in today's present climate that any country would let you enter without a valid passport. Plus, one of the best forms of education is foreign travel and experiencing different cultures.

Doesn't matter whether you understand it or not. There are countries that let you enter (and exit) without a passport.

A passport for a closed loop cruise is really nothing more than insurance. Would it come in handy if you have to leave early/stay late/miss the ship? Of course. What are the odds of truly NEEDING it?

Do you carry flood insurance on your home if it's not required?

Do you drop collision coverage on an old car?

I don't get why so many people get so upset in these threads all but insisting everyone should have a passport. $160/10 years is not a lot of money. But if you only use the passport for a single cruise, then it's an additional $160 for a one time use that you might not actually need.

Or just do you research and make sure. Personal choice.

I spent plenty of time doing research obtaining my graduate degree and continue to do so while running my small business, which, in turn, has enabled me to travel the world. I'm no dummy nor am I lazy as you seem to insinuate.

We took my 80 year old parents on their first and only cruise to celebrate their 60th anniversary. My dad refused to spend the money for passports and it was a risk I was willing to deal with if a need arose.

Both of them had their original birth certificates that were not in the best shape, but these 80 year old documents did not slow down the check in process and the customs officer barely looked at them.:')

Sherri:)

There is a Western Hemisphere Travel agreement on travel by sea and land. Canada and Mexico and the Caribbean are close by and there is a lot of land and sea travel between. Europe has some similar border agreements.

Your second sentence is in contradiction to your first sentence.

I spent plenty of time doing research obtaining my graduate degree and continue to do so while running my small business, which, in turn, has enabled me to travel the world. I'm no dummy nor am I lazy as you seem to insinuate.

Not what I was insinuating at all and if that is the message you got then I apologize. I should have said "people can just do their research and make sure". Travel isn't a one sized fits all proposition and there are alternatives for different travel methods.

Doesn't matter whether you understand it or not. There are countries that let you enter (and exit) without a passport.

A passport for a closed loop cruise is really nothing more than insurance. Would it come in handy if you have to leave early/stay late/miss the ship? Of course. What are the odds of truly NEEDING it?

Do you carry flood insurance on your home if it's not required?

Do you drop collision coverage on an old car?

I don't get why so many people get so upset in these threads all but insisting everyone should have a passport. $160/10 years is not a lot of money. But if you only use the passport for a single cruise, then it's an additional $160 for a one time use that you might not actually need.

I think the insurance analogy is a good one. That is why I take a passport on closed loop cruises. Just in case, Yet on over 50 cruises I have never needed to fly back. I also have one anyway since I fly to international destinations.

But consider a young family with muktiple children. The passport fees will add up fast. If a passport is required for closed loop cruises many young families are not going to be able to afford a cruise.

A passport is an investment and a royal pain in the A$$ if you have children under the age of 16 because both parents have to be present, which usually means a day off from work and school. It's hard enough when you are still married to the spouse of the children. I can't imagine what other parents do in different situations with ex's ,step children, baby daddy or baby mama. We decided to get passports for the family before the airlines had such restrictions and Im glad we did. They are good for 10 years for adults and by the time my kids needed to renew they were old enough to do it and pay for it themselves. It is so much easier to renew once you have one. We bring our passports even when we fly to Florida and use them as ID. It's much easier than trying to pull the Driver's license out of that tight compartment. Also I don't have to worry if my driver's license is up to the new code for boarding a plane. Americans take if for granted because we only have two borders to cross out our country and up until recent years there were really few restrictions. I would suggest to anyone who doesn't already have a passport to get one even if you don't travel much. There seems to be so much confusion as to which state Drivers license or ID qualifies even when boarding for a domestic flight.

My drivers license is old. It's up for renewal this year and I have no idea if I could use it to board a flight from JFK to Florida. I have been using my passport as ID just so I don't have to worry about it.

A passport is an investment and a royal pain in the A$$ if you have children under the age of 16 because both parents have to be present, which usually means a day off from work and school. It's hard enough when you are still married to the spouse of the children. I can't imagine what other parents do in different situations with ex's ,step children, baby daddy or baby mama. We decided to get passports for the family before the airlines had such restrictions and Im glad we did. They are good for 10 years for adults and by the time my kids needed to renew they were old enough to do it and pay for it themselves. It is so much easier to renew once you have one. We bring our passports even when we fly to Florida and use them as ID. It's much easier than trying to pull the Driver's license out of that tight compartment. Also I don't have to worry if my driver's license is up to the new code for boarding a plane. Americans take if for granted because we only have two borders to cross out our country and up until recent years there were really few restrictions. I would suggest to anyone who doesn't already have a passport to get one even if you don't travel much. There seems to be so much confusion as to which state Drivers license or ID qualifies even when boarding for a domestic flight.

Perhaps it is different where you are, here there are many places that accept a passport application on the weekend, such as our public library.

If both parents are not available there is a form ds3053 that can be filled out in advance permitting one parent to apply for the passport. Also, passports for kids under 16 are only good for 5 years, not 10.

But a passport won't generally fit in your pocket.

There's only confusion about IDs and flying because people don't want to do research. Start here: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id. It looks like 30 states are already compliant, the rest have waivers.

Perhaps it is different where you are, here there are many places that accept a passport application on the weekend, such as our public library.

If both parents are not available there is a form ds3053 that can be filled out in advance permitting one parent to apply for the passport. Also, passports for kids under 16 are only good for 5 years, not 10.

This was back in 2006 and the post office was the only convenient location to apply and they had limited hours that they accepted applications. My kids were 13 and 15 at the time so they were old enough to renew on their own by the time they expired.

This was back in 2006 and the post office was the only convenient location to apply and they had limited hours that they accepted applications. My kids were 13 and 15 at the time so they were old enough to renew on their own by the time they expired.

I remember a time when the Post Office was the only place, they have expanded a lot. You can find all the acceptance facilities at the state department website.

But a passport won't generally fit in your pocket.

Actually in does especially when I wear cargo shorts. However, I keep it in my backpack with my wallet. You can't have anything in your pocket when going through security.

Actually in does especially when I wear cargo shorts. However, I keep it in my backpack with my wallet. You can't have anything in your pocket when going through security.

I usually wear slacks when flying. Before I get to security, I take everything out of my pockets (keys, cell phone, wallet) and put in my backpack. My DL & BP (if I printed) go in my pocket. Show BP & DL to ID checker, put backpack on the Xray belt, keep BP & DL in my hand.

Easy peasy. You want to use your passport, go ahead. Mine stays in my safe at home unless I'm heading out of the country.

It is the easiest, all encompassing answer if one doesn't want to do any analysis or thinking about it. My son got a passport when he went off to college "just in case". Now he's a young father with a boatload of student loan debt and his passport will very likely sit in a drawer gathering dust until it expires because he doesn't have the time or the money to travel. Not the end of the world by any means but not a good "investment", either.

As for ports not having a presence, I think that applies to a majority of them and if you were really right you would have no way to get to an island with said presence without a passport, so essentially you have just made a new home, but it doesn't work that way. I read a thread not too long ago about a passenger that had to disembark from an island just like that and he was allowed to board a plane to the US. It took him about 45 minutes to find someone at the airport that would authorize it (and the port agent had told him to call if he couldn't) and then he spent 10 minutes in secondary inspection when he arrived in the US. I see no reason why the procedure would be any different at any other island (and of course you are returning to the US you aren't catching up with the ship). Yes, there will be delays and some hassle without a passport if something happens but many people are comfortable assuming that slight risk.

So yes, the passport is certainly the easiest option and requires no thought. Unfortunately when we started cruising it cost so much that I had to give it thought because of how much it was. Perhaps if it had just been DW and I then I might have made a different choice (I doubt it, but perhaps).

And your son may get a chance to travel on short notice and bee able to, since he has a passport. Or, he may win the lottery next week and have the money to travel. 10 years is a long time, things change.

And renewing it is whole lot easier than starting from scratch.

You MAY be able to board a flight. And it MAY take you only a bit extra time when entering the US. But are you guaranteeing that?

Yes, the port city might not have an Embassy or Consulate, but I am talking about where the one servicing that island is in a different country, not a different city. For most of the Eastern Caribbean, the islands are serviced by the US Embassy in Barbados. So you would have to get there to get a passport. But to get there, you have to cross international borders, and most likely fly.

Most airlines will not all you to fly, because if they let you on the plane, and you are denied entry, THEY are responsible for you, meaning taking you back to where the brought you from, but if you don't have a passport, you can get back into that country.

If you are comfortable ASSUMING you can get on a flight and into the US without serious issues, then travel without a passport.

MANY people, have done a thorough analysis and thought through the issues, and decided that the best answer is to have a passport.