Good Morning!! Broken foot!

I think your question has brought some good ideas. I have never sailed Regent, we have our first cruise in Nov. So I'm not the one to answer dress code questions. However, I recently severely sprained my foot and had to wear a boot. I didn't cruise, but did fly across country. It wasn't all that comfortable, but not really an issue (we were in first class so more leg room). It would have been tough in coach. Also, I had no problem with my pant legs going over my boot. So if you are only in a cast up to your calf, you might find that you have pants that simply fit over the boot or cast. If so, problem solved. If it were me, I'd try to find a pair that was baggy enough for this, or I'd roll the cuff up if the boot or cast isn't too far up the leg.

In 3 weeks, I will be taking my Mother on a nice RSSC. My luck, I ended up breaking my foot and having surgery last 10 days ago.

Currently, I’m in a splint. Next week, my doctor might put me in a cast or a boot.

My questions for anyone with experience in his matter. I thank you in advance and apologize for the typos for i am using an iPhone.

1) if i am in a cast, I’m almost certain i can not wear long pants for the diameter of the cast will not allow it. I know the dress code after 6 required long pants. Will they make an exception for me? I will of course wear a nice jacket, shorts and shirt.

2) what is the best way to go on excursions, flights and get around in the Ship? Currently I have crutches and a manual rolling scooter. I’m a pretty active, mid 40 year old male.

Thank you in advance!!! I want this to be the best time for my Mother.

El Capitan Z,

RSSC will offer reasonable accommodation or exception regarding the dress code policy towards any guest that may have a disability or physical ailment such as yours. This is not dependent on shipboard management, it is considered policy. Should you need any further reassurances, feel free to get in touch with me at jokeefe@rssc.com.

Shore excursions will be challenging to be honest, as these will require negotiating the motor coach steps and a fair amount of walking in many cases. I'm going to make a suggestion and it may surprise you since most of our guests look forward to enjoying the Free Unlimited Shore Excursion options. You may want to consider some private tour arrangements to augment your selections. These options would be at additional cost and vary by port. A full day or half day private car option in a couple of ports will likely extend your enjoyment with much more ease as these can be catered to your interest as well as your ability. Alternatively, you may also choose to rent a wheelchair or even a scooter through specialneedsatsea.com and have it delivered to the ship for your personal use throughout the journey. Then you may request access to handicapped accessible tours through our reservations team pre-cruise, which may incur additional cost depending on the tour, albeit a lower cost than a fully private option.

Lastly, I encourage you to check with your travel insurance provider for any additional advice or assistance that may be offered to you since this was an unexpected challenge to your travel plans.

All the best on your upcoming journey, Jason

El Capitan Z:

I’m the accused party by mentioned by Travelcat above. I’ve worn one cast and three boots on my feet at different times of my life. When I had a calf length cast, I was able to find slacks with legs that were wide enough to fit over my cast. However, the above mentioned recommendations are all great and worth trying. The boot is a piece of cake and I recently walked all over Italy and did a transatlantic cruise with one on my left foot. It served as a nice counter balance to overcome the rocking of my bar stool.

I may be off base here, but I would not pay much attention to any policy dictated by Regent’s shoreside staff. I think that the decision to accommodate an unusual circumstance such as yours lies in the hands of the ship’s senior staff. This has been the case in the past when a shoreside Regent customer service dude was totally wrong.

Hope you heal quickly and have a wonderful cruise.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can bear witness that Z never had a problem with the bar stool. He managed to never fell off it once.:')

So sorry to read about your broken foot. I just emailed a friend that had a big boot on his foot when we cruised with them on Regent. He is a CC member and will likely visit this thread with words of advice.

I admire anyone who takes their Mother on a cruise!

I’ve taken my mother on 8. I hope I’ve earned my place in heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll bet you both had a great time too?

We met a lovely lady with her daughter on one cruise and the Mother and daughter had a fantastic relationship.

We did some excursions together and they wondered why we would have wanted to spend time with them....well, it was easy really,they were great company and had a wonderful sense of humour.

We since found out the mother was no longer with us but was assured that she had a blast on her cruise and i for one will never forget the great times we had.

Hope you continue to have great times with your mother and cherish every every memory.

Pam.

You definitely have earned your place I heaven. I have a lot of respect for you and wish that my mother had lived long enough for me to be able to take her on a cruise!

Thank you very much. I can’t wait to enjoy this cruise!!

Thank you Jason. I will pray for boot, then no issues at all!!

I will have a rolling knee scooter to get around and am very excited to take my Mother on her 1st of many RSSC cruises!!

Thank you for all your feedback.

I guess I’ll be easy to pick out on deck now!!!! Hahahhaha. Knee scooter dude with his mom.

Be safe!!!

A couple of suggestions - there are companies that either make adaptive clothing or can alter a pair of pants that you provide to them: You may want to check out the following:

http://www.customadaptiveclothing.com

http://www.buckandbuck.com

Another suggestion that I learned from physical therapy - check out the "lounge" pants at either Walmart or Target, surprisingly, some are quite decent, inexpensive and in a situation like yours, can pass for trousers and will easily fit over the boot or cast. We actually bought a pair for my Dad which he wore on his last cruise and no one was the wiser for it since he always wore a dress shirt and jacket to dinner.

gnomie :)

Not sure about you, but if I wore shorts to CR I would freeze, but then I am often cold

I'm right there with you - since my Dad's passing, I have taken my Mom on more than 20 trips, either land or cruise and am trying to work out where I can take her next - I'm hoping there will be an invitation for me at the Pearly Gates, but if not, it is ok because I know I have made my Mom very happy and that is all that counts.

gnomie :)

Fair Winds and Following seas El Capitan Z.

Love your cruise critic name--enjoyed Yosemite National Park and climbing (Class IV hikes) in the park as a teenager. However, not on El Capitan (too much climbing skill required)--just enjoyed the stunning view from our hiking vistas.

Btw, on our Regent Mariner South American cruise taken this January and February, there was a woman who got along very well on her knee scooter.

Every single reply I have read has been FANTASTIC and Helpful! We are all blessed to be able to take beautiful cruises and share the experience with one another.

No matter what happens, I will let all of you know what I will be doing. I for one, love dressing up. A broken leg/foot is nothing compared to what others have to deal with. If I have to alter pants, so be it. Small price to pay to see my Mother enjoy herself.

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you!! Without this board, I would have been , sort of, LOST!

Take Care my friends!

Excellent. My RSSC rep has advised me that under no circumstances will i be allowed to break the dress code. I asked him to escalate this matter for i love the night time on boats and i do not want to be on house arrest. Lol. Im praying my surgeon gives me a leg boot. If this happens i can wear pants.

Does RSSC have wheelchairs on board?

Sent from my iPhone using

Forums

So as someone who has been on a Regent cruise in a boot and helping my mom who uses a walker on other cruise lines, let me give you my experience.

Regent -- There were absolutely no comments about dress when I was wearing light pants under the boot. Staff went out of their wait to help seat me in Compass Rose where it was easy. I've been on a cruise where someone broke a foot and ended up in a cast. Again no problems. Life happens.

Wheelchairs/Scooters. The lines have wheelchairs, but I've never had a line tell me we could borrow one for the cruise. The good news is that there are several mobility companies out there that will deliver a rental wheelchair or scooter to the ship for you to use for a nominal price ($25/day or so for a scooter). You just have your travel agent set it up. It's in your cabin when you arrive and you leave it there when you go. Bad news most cabin doors aren't wide enough to get the scooter into the cabin. Door size is one of the biggest differences between a handicap and regular room (the bath of course is the other). Obviously I assume you aren't in a handicap room now (why would you be). So if you have a scooter, you're probably parking it down the hall from your suite. A wheelchair will collapse and fit into the room.

Choice of mobility device -- Rather than a wheelchair have you considered a knee scooter (if appropriate)? I've used a knee scooter (twice) and those things are a godsend and much smaller than a wheelchair or a scooter. In any case, generally, I've not found getting around a small Regent ship that problematic when injured. For me -- it's always been that long walk off the pier and back where you really want help. I have no idea if the mobility at sea folks do knee scooters.

Reminder -- If you want to bring something from home. These are medical devices, the airlines CAN NOT charge you for baggage fees for it. It's free. (note on scooters, but there are significant rules on the battery -- easier to rent).

Also cruise critic is your friend. There is a mobility forum. You might want to check there too for options / suggestions.

-Indi

This is from a bit different perspective, not a broken foot, but a broken wrist while on an Oceania cruise. Having a cast on my arm for the majority of the cruise was difficult, and cut down my clothing choices. When my sleeves kept catching on the cast, I solved the problem by putting my arm in a plastic bag sleeve, which made putting a long sleeved jacket on a breeze. You should be able to do the same with a leg cast is it comes to that. Hope it doesn't, but this tip really helped me a lot. As far as dress goes, I was able to dress appropriately for the evening, wearing the same things multiple times. Thank goodness for laundry and dry cleaning on board. Marlene