Good Morning!! Broken foot!

In 3 weeks, I will be taking my Mother on a nice RSSC. My luck, I ended up breaking my foot and having surgery last 10 days ago.

Currently, I’m in a splint. Next week, my doctor might put me in a cast or a boot.

My questions for anyone with experience in his matter. I thank you in advance and apologize for the typos for i am using an iPhone.

1) if i am in a cast, I’m almost certain i can not wear long pants for the diameter of the cast will not allow it. I know the dress code after 6 required long pants. Will they make an exception for me? I will of course wear a nice jacket, shorts and shirt.

2) what is the best way to go on excursions, flights and get around in the Ship? Currently I have crutches and a manual rolling scooter. I’m a pretty active, mid 40 year old male.

Thank you in advance!!! I want this to be the best time for my Mother.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So sorry to read about your broken foot. I just emailed a friend that had a big boot on his foot when we cruised with them on Regent. He is a CC member and will likely visit this thread with words of advice.

I admire anyone who takes their Mother on a cruise!

So sorry to read about your broken foot. I just emailed a friend that had a big boot on his foot when we cruised with them on Regent. He is a CC member and will likely visit this thread with words of advice.

I admire anyone who takes their Mother on a cruise!

Thank you. I might have to get some hybrid pants made to fit a cast.

Fortunately, I have not been faced with this situation--personally. However, my wife and I did have to deal with a similar matter related to a Regent trip with Sue's stepmother. As the cruise progressed, this lady encountered difficulties walking. Several visits to the doctor. Then, a wheel chair, with one of her legs extended, and "locked". Staff at all levels were very-accommodating to our situation. Crew "volunteered" to man the wheel chair. Dining room personnel assisted in finding the most comfortable table venue, both in Compass Rose (Main Dining room) and alternative restaurants.

Do not worry about long pants in Compass Rose. Everyone will understand. You might consider having the option of access to a wheel chair. In turbulent weather, crutches would not be a prudent mode of transport outside your suite.

GOARMY!

Fortunately, I have not been faced with this situation--personally. However, my wife and I did have to deal with a similar matter related to a Regent trip with Sue's stepmother. As the cruise progressed, this lady encountered difficulties walking. Several visits to the doctor. Then, a wheel chair, with one of her legs extended, and "locked". Staff at all levels were very-accommodating to our situation. Crew "volunteered" to man the wheel chair. Dining room personnel assisted in finding the most comfortable table venue, both in Compass Rose (Main Dining room) and alternative restaurants.

Do not worry about long pants in Compass Rose. Everyone will understand. You might consider having the option of access to a wheel chair. In turbulent weather, crutches would not be a prudent mode of transport outside your suite.

GOARMY!

Excellent. My RSSC rep has advised me that under no circumstances will i be allowed to break the dress code. I asked him to escalate this matter for i love the night time on boats and i do not want to be on house arrest. Lol. Im praying my surgeon gives me a leg boot. If this happens i can wear pants.

Does RSSC have wheelchairs on board?

Re: onboard wheelchairs--Yes. "Stuff" happens to folks while onboard. That is how we acquired that chair for Sue's stepmom. OTOH: It is a common occurrence during embarkation to observe several passengers being wheeled aboard on chairs they probably use when at home.

I will defer to other CCers to provide their first-hand experiences on how to navigate that wheelchair matter when planning the cruise, and coordinating "special needs" with Regent and their Travel Agent. Bottom line: cover this aspect beforehand, to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Hope this works out, and you and you mother have a great onboard experience.

GOARMY!

You could take one pair of dinner pants to the tailor and have a zipper put on the leg. Open to put on pants and close if possible or leave open if necessary. Other leg is not affected.

That’s what I’m thinking.

Re: onboard wheelchairs--Yes. "Stuff" happens to folks while onboard. That is how we acquired that chair for Sue's stepmom.

"Onboard" is the key here. The wheelchairs the ship has are for guests with unexpected need for same while onboard - such as Sue's stepmom. If someone has a pre-existing condition or problem, they would be best to have their own chair.

I think the crew and passengers would certainly understand your situation and certainly you should not be confined after 6PM. We would certainly understand and not even question it. If I were you in your circumstance, I would go and wear whatever fits your physical needs and enjoy.

Most important, is you heal!

Hi. Sorry to hear about your foot, but I do hope it is healing nicely.

A solution to the trouser[oops sorry pants] issue, without ruining a good pair is to see if you can get someone to unpick the inside leg seam to the knee [if cast only to the knee] and stitch three rows of velcro fastenings onto the seam.

These can then be fastened around the cast, leaving the fairly open side inside the leg.

Once your cast is off, the fastenings can be removed and the seam re sewed.

Hi. Sorry to hear about your foot, but I do hope it is healing nicely.

A solution to the trouser[oops sorry pants] issue, without ruining a good pair is to see if you can get someone to unpick the inside leg seam to the knee [if cast only to the knee] and stitch three rows of velcro fastenings onto the seam.

These can then be fastened around the cast, leaving the fairly open side inside the leg.

Once your cast is off, the fastenings can be removed and the seam re sewed.

That sounds perfect, and very easy! All you need is someone who knows their way around a needle and thread, or a good drycleaner who will do minor alterations! Hope you heal well, and have a great time!

El Capitan Z:

I’m the accused party by mentioned by Travelcat above. I’ve worn one cast and three boots on my feet at different times of my life. When I had a calf length cast, I was able to find slacks with legs that were wide enough to fit over my cast. However, the above mentioned recommendations are all great and worth trying. The boot is a piece of cake and I recently walked all over Italy and did a transatlantic cruise with one on my left foot. It served as a nice counter balance to overcome the rocking of my bar stool.

I may be off base here, but I would not pay much attention to any policy dictated by Regent’s shoreside staff. I think that the decision to accommodate an unusual circumstance such as yours lies in the hands of the ship’s senior staff. This has been the case in the past when a shoreside Regent customer service dude was totally wrong.

Hope you heal quickly and have a wonderful cruise.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Capitan Z:

I’m the accused party by mentioned by Travelcat above. I’ve worn one cast and three boots on my feet at different times of my life. When I had a calf length cast, I was able to find slacks with legs that were wide enough to fit over my cast. However, the above mentioned recommendations are all great and worth trying. The boot is a piece of cake and I recently walked all over Italy and did a transatlantic cruise with one on my left foot. It served as a nice counter balance to overcome the rocking of my bar stool.

I may be off base here, but I would not pay much attention to any policy dictated by Regent’s shoreside staff. I think that the decision to accommodate an unusual circumstance such as yours lies in the hands of the ship’s senior staff. This has been the case in the past when a shoreside Regent customer service dude was totally wrong.

Hope you heal quickly and have a wonderful cruise.

Z and TB

I am praying for a boot! When you had your boot, did you use crutches or a scooter to get around on the excursions!? Thank you!

When I had a boot with a broken foot, after a couple weeks I walked on the boot. Crutches are awful. I had to use them at first. I would use a small manual scooter/walker that your knee sits on for support and therefore no weight on foot and other leg used normally.

Having sailed on Regent 31 times I must say that I have yet to see anyone wearing shorts - even when disabled. So, if there is any way you could wear long pants or a kilt (;p) I would do so (even if you have to cut them to accommodate your cast)

It is easy to say that it doesn't matter but they are not the ones in your position. You can certainly speak with the General Manager, but I would pack slacks that a tailor could fit around your cast.... just in case.

In any case, have a great cruise:D

PS. "Z" thanks for chiming in.

I am praying for a boot! When you had your boot, did you use crutches or a scooter to get around on the excursions!? Thank you!

I didn’t have either one. I walked all over the place with my boot and had no problems getting around. The only discomfort I felt was prior to the cruise when my right hip would get sore from the extensive walking on cobblestone streets in Rome. Of course, once we boarded we would self medicate at the pool bar at 1100 with margaritas, Bloody Marys, or Mexican butterflies.

Z and TB

My humble advice:

1- don’t worry when you are on the ship, I am sure an exception will be made for you regarding long pants. Cheapest and easiest - take a pair of sweat pants and cut off one leg to the knee.

2- if you are taking simple shore excursions that has limited walking, you will be fine. However any one that may be two figures or more, will require a scooter. Stick with the easy ones.

You will be just fine! Enjoy!

Sheila

BTW- as most CC friends know, I use O2 and ride an electric scooter on cruises and have a great time!

I didn’t have either one. I walked all over the place with my boot and had no problems getting around. The only discomfort I felt was prior to the cruise when my right hip would get sore from the extensive walking on cobblestone streets in Rome. Of course, once we boarded we would self medicate at the pool bar at 1100 with margaritas, Bloody Marys, or Mexican butterflies.

Z and TB

And you convinced the "group" to join you at the pool bar! What an amazing time.

As I recall, you did wear long pants at night which is what I recommend. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I am quite surprised that posters think that it doesn't matter. In my opinion, one already feels badly that they have to walk around with a cast or boot without having to dress in sweats (worse than shorts in my opinion) and feeling like everyone is looking at you (which they probably are not). A fairly easy "fix" to your slacks will likely make you feel much better about the situation:halo:

Honestly, I would just purchase a very low priced pair of pants and have the leg with the boot cut open and insert a piece of material and just wear them at night. Dockers fit the bill and it will be easy to match the color. You are not trying to make a fashion statement. All will work out.