Plastic Straws, Which RCL Ships Have Done Away With

There was a post/thread that some RCL ships have banned plastic straws. California has banned plastic straws with severe punishment, including up to 6 mo. jail time. Disney just announced that they ar replacing them with paper made straws.

Don't want to pack my own plastic straws unless I have to.

We're sailing on the Anthem this August 23rd and wondering what is the status of plastic straws.

My son and his family are vacating in Long Beach Island (Jersey Shore) and he could only get paper types at restaurants, and he said they are horrible and easily fall apart.

I don't get the fascination people have with plastic straws. I understand that elderly people and people with disabilities need straws and even some of us love our straws but isn't a paper single use straw good enough?

not really. paper straws taste horrid and dissolve far too readily.

We're sailing on the Anthem this August 23rd and wondering what is the status of plastic straws.

you won't know until you board whether or not there will be straws available. at minimum, assume they will have to be asked for.

If your paper straw is dissolving stop chewing on it. Or drink quicker.

From what I read in a newspaper article, RCI is using up their stock of plastic goods. Not simply chucking them. Though the reality may be different, for instance smart bartenders may be hoarding them for frozen drinks.

not really. paper straws taste horrid and dissolve far too readily.

Never noticed a taste from a paper straw and I don't have a drink last long enough for it to dissolve. In fact my DW just handed me a paper straw that I now am sucking on and can't taste anything. Try the ones at target as they seem to be really solid (almost like a plastic straw).

The reason they're being banned is people are saying the oceans are absolutely overflowing with plastic and straws. So while the companies on land are banning plastic straws and using paper straws they are serving those drinks in plastic cups, go figure, once again bureaucracy running amuck.

The reason they're being banned is people are saying the oceans are absolutely overflowing with plastic and straws. So while the companies on land are banning plastic straws and using paper straws they are serving those drinks in plastic cups, go figure, once again bureaucracy running amuck.

Check out what Richard Branson is doing with his cruise line. No single use plastic at all.

Never noticed a taste from a paper straw and I don't have a drink last long enough for it to dissolve. In fact my DW just handed me a paper straw that I now am sucking on and can't taste anything. Try the ones at target as they seem to be really solid (almost like a plastic straw).

Triple like:):)

RCI is phasing out all single use plastics by 2020. And other industries are doing the same, they're just starting with the straws first.

I don't get the fascination people have with plastic straws. I understand that elderly people and people with disabilities need straws and even some of us love our straws but isn't a paper single use straw good enough?

It should be, its been 30 years since I had a paper straw. With all the hype Royal has about "save the waves" and how much recycling they do anyway, why can't they recycle straws too? Land based Waste handlers say they can't pull straws out from other waste, maybe its true here. I preffered the straws after watching a Royal crew member on Oasis. They are supposed to be trained on NORO prevention. This guy unwrapped a couple hundred plastic flutes for drinks at the upper tier event, each one he unwrapped and placed on the table with his thumb and forefinger on the rim of each glass.

I understand some of the paper straws will disintegrate--wondering what the heck are they made of. It would have been so much easier to mandatory recycle.

There was a post/thread that some RCL ships have banned plastic straws. California has banned plastic straws with severe punishment, including up to 6 mo. jail time. Disney just announced that they ar replacing them with paper made straws.

Don't want to pack my own plastic straws unless I have to.

My son and his family are vacating in Long Beach Island (Jersey Shore) and he could only get paper types at restaurants, and he said they are horrible and easily fall apart.

Why are you needing them that bad?

Why are you needing them that bad?

Because the paper ones are terrible and taste horrible, based on my son observation. My son is not an alcohol drinker, but enjoys a Pepsi, Coke and water with a straw that is so much more sanitary..

It is as if plastic straws are the only things, among a few million times more plastic trash that gets dumped in a landfill, that don't decompose?? I posed this on another forum and was told that the plastic straws migrate from the landfill sites and end up in the ocean ?? I imagine they took the coconuts scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail seriously and believe that a type of sparrow carried the nuts to England from the Caribbean.

Maybe they could make them from thin hollowed out bamboo shoots and someone from Cariloha can collect them? I imagine a few weeks worth could become soft fluffy pillow case or two.

OMHO

bosco