Food at ports

Sbjefm

Is there anywhere I can look to find out what food I can take off the ship on port days? I like to pack snacks and sandwiches and take it to shore. Just don’t want anything confiscated. We are going to Aruba, Curaçao and Grand Turk. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any hope has faded lol

Well if anything there is plenty of food options as you enter the mall (fort) in Aruba.

I get tired of Ship food and found those shops to be fair in price and plenty of options to choose from. GT has th?id=OIP.CENEX3IVkt7GLRrBlQFFawHaFZ&w=224&h=163&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.25&pid=1.7

Curacao the food is a bit further away from the port but there are options as well.

I just try to be as frugal as possible because we are a family of 8 (6 kids) plus my parents so eating out a few meals at ports becomes expensive [emoji4]

It is nothing to do with rules of the ship. It is against the laws of most places you are visiting to take meat/fruit etc into their countries. You can bring pkged snacks and water but you'll have to buy food on shore or eat back on the ship!

In some ports there are dogs to check for food that people try to take off the ship so I wouldn't try it!

I just try to be as frugal as possible because we are a family of 8 (6 kids) plus my parents so eating out a few meals at ports becomes expensive [emoji4]

Trust me ,I know that feeling :D Thank god for pringles. th?id=OIP.AxBCfMiQ3fTtQorY0l4TyAHaHa&w=207&h=207&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.25&pid=1.7

It is nothing to do with rules of the ship. It is against the laws of most places you are visiting to take meat/fruit etc into their countries. You can bring pkged snacks and water but you'll have to buy food on shore or eat back on the ship!

In some ports there are dogs to check for food that people try to take off the ship so I wouldn't try it!

Thanks. This is why I inquired. No need to yell 🤷🏼*♀️

Sorry its not allowed. Prepackaged food only.

But people do it all the time at those ports. Some ports have guard dogs sniffing your bags as you exit the ship.

At some ports, port security will search all bags, purses and backpacks.

At some ports, port security will search all bags, purses and backpacks.

True, I got searched three times at one port. Something about my black bag just sets them off .:rolleyes:

I know you are not allowed to bring food off a ship. Only prepackaged foods are allowed. Grab some small boxes of cereal to have the kiddos snack on until you can get back on ship to eat. We usually eat a large breakfast, and head back for lunch. Sometimes we will eat in a port, but, like you, we watch our budget. Years ago, it was because we had 5 children. Now, we are retired and back to watching the budget closely. Although we were both professionals in our career, raising 5 children, paying college tuitions, and then weddings took every penny saved. Now, we have 14 grandchildren, so buying gifts for birthdays and Christmas for 5 children and spouses, plus 14 grandchildren requires a huge chunk set aside monthly. I totally sympathize with you. But food products are not allowed off the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most countries allow meat if its pre-packaged and from an approved processor. Not your own beef jerky or from Joe's Butcher Shop. In fact, most countries ban any food "homemade." The dogs comments are funny. We laugh that the dogs must have taken a particular interest to our checked bag with two 50 piece packs of Kirkland pre-cooked pork bacon from Costco in it when we spent nearly two weeks in Cozumel. The bag had been opened with an inspection and approval notice. We did that BTW, because some items like that are hard to find when you're living local for any period of time, even at the Mega. Though you can buy mattresses and mortorcycles right next to the grocery checkout lanes!

About buying lunch in port.......

Eat where the locals eat. We rarely eat at places that cater to American tourists. Ask a local where they eat. One cruise, 3 of us, 4 ports at for a total of $50. 12 meals for $50 is a good deal. That includes my expensive shrimp cocktail for $3.50. This was in Mexico but all ports have local and tourist restaurants.

We bring some cereal off the ship and some hard candy.

When grabbing the cereal, it’s best if everyone grabs their own from the buffet.

I was really surprised in Cozumel how much food was confiscated. We left the ship soon after docking and the port security already had two large cans full of fruit, pizza in zip lock bags, and other stuff.

Of course, in reality this has nothing to do with agricultural safety (a lot of these fruits are

grown in Mexico and Central America)

, it is about boosting revenue in the ports.

It is funny that the US has the same rules but much of the fruit is grown in Mexico and Central America. I noticed that the cruise ship often bring unwrapped cookies and snacks to the ports for passengers.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

I have been on close to forty cruises since I got hooked way back in May 1983. On my Allure Of The Seas January 2017 sailing to the Western Caribbean on our stop to Cozumel, Mexico there were Mexician Police Officers stationed at the beginning of the pier, prior to entering the souvenir shops. They had two German Shepard’s checking all the passengers beach bags. There were two large garbage cans full of fruit and sandwiches that had been discarded by the officers. My family couldn’t believe that so many passengers disregarded all the announcements and notifications that no food was to be removed from the ship except for prepackaged food items. What a waste of good food!

Grand Turk you'll likely be in easy walking distance back to the ship for meals.

I bring cheese crackers, nuts, granola bars, power bars, etc for snacking on ports.

You can pre-order a 12-pack of bottled water for $4.50 + delivery for your cabin. A sharpie for writing names on bottles and you can reuse the whole cruise.