Solstice Secrets

TXRed

I will check the NonAlcoholic drink plan. Thankfully we are early risers so we'll be on the veranda coffee in hand. I am sure he will be fine with the buffet breakfast...but he loves pancakes so we will probably eat on the MDR a couple times for breakfast.

Thanks for your replies...it's a huge help to hear from people who have sailed the ship before. (y)

You can also get pancakes in the buffet.

You can get pancakes from room service. He needs to try Celebrity's waffles in the buffet, they are legendary.

Thanks...I like waffle a lot!! I usually don't like sweet foods for breakfast. But I do like waffles with butter and maple syrup every once in a while.

Some people like to kid. There is no deck 13. The ship skips that number of their decks.

It’s kind of like when I was in the Navy a old Chief told me to fetch a gallon of bulkhead remover. Doesn’t exist. Just a joke for newbies.

Not true! Go to deck 12 and ask any crew member where you can find the fog lockers. When you find them, enter and you will see the secret stairway that leads to deck 13😀

Thanks...I like waffle a lot!! I usually don't like sweet foods for breakfast. But I do like waffles with butter and maple syrup every once in a while.

Some advice from a foodie:

If you want the best waffles/pancakes, go to buffet and wait for ones that come directly from the waffle maker or griddle....do not take the ones sitting on a serving dish. Ditto if you want eggs...find the station where they are making omelettes and ask them to give you a plain omelette or eggs the way you like them....don't take them from the serving pan. Hamburgers from the mast grill (or whatever it's called on your ship)...ask them to make you one from scratch, don't let them give you an already cooked one that's been sitting there. If you make a salad for lunch, you can find additional things to add by the pizza station or sometimes by the mexican station. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but the best pastries are free at cafe B'acchio. Try the every day creme Brulee and onion soup at dinner (both are excellent (skip the onion soup if you don't like salty). If you see gravlox, try it; the smoked salmon at breakfast is always excellent...unfortunately the bagels aren't. Breadsticks are excellent..but if the ones on your table are not crisp, ask the waiter for fresh ones which are crispy and delicious. If you like anchovies on your Caesar salad, ask for them. You can generally ask for a bowl of berries for dessert (not on the menu). Best coffee is at cafe B'accio but it's not free. Check out the aqua spa cafe for breakfast/lunch...limited items, but good...free...and available to anyone, not just aqua passengers.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

If you want the best waffles/pancakes, go to buffet and wait for ones that come directly from the waffle maker or griddle....do not take the ones sitting on a serving dish. Ditto if you want eggs...find the station where they are making omelettes and ask them to give you a plain omelette or eggs the way you like them....don't take them from the serving pan. Hamburgers from the mast grill (or whatever it's called on your ship)...ask them to make you one from scratch, don't let them give you an already cooked one that's been sitting there. If you make a salad for lunch, you can find additional things to add by the pizza station or sometimes by the mexican station. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but the best pastries are free at cafe B'acchio. Try the every day creme Brulee and onion soup at dinner (both are excellent (skip the onion soup if you don't like salty). If you see gravlox, try it; the smoked salmon at breakfast is always excellent...unfortunately the bagels aren't. Breadsticks are excellent..but if the ones on your table are not crisp, ask the waiter for fresh ones which are crispy and delicious. If you like anchovies on your Caesar salad, ask for them. You can generally ask for a bowl of berries for dessert (not on the menu). Best coffee is at cafe B'accio but it's not free. Check out the aqua spa cafe for breakfast/lunch...limited items, but good...free...and available to anyone, not just aqua passengers.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for all the info and hints...love getting food hints from an admitted :Dfoodie! :D

• 3 weeks later...
TXRed,

We spent 16 nights on Solstice recently in Aus and NZ. You will love the ship and the crew. Most on this board have sailed S-Class Celebrity ships so there are no hidden secrets to them. But if it is your first Celebrity cruise everything about Celebrity and the ship will be new to you so please enjoy and report back here to us! Just explore! And read this Celebrity board or join your roll call to get more informed prior to your cruise. It is great to be excited!

We are on the Solstice Oct 29 SYD 10 days to Great Barrier Reef and Nov.9NZ on it. Any suggestions about weather or any good shore excursions you took?

If you want the best waffles/pancakes, go to buffet and wait for ones that come directly from the waffle maker or griddle....do not take the ones sitting on a serving dish.

That sounds like wonderful advice. I wish I had thought of that. :D

You can get pancakes from room service. He needs to try Celebrity's waffles in the buffet, they are legendary.

Can you get real maple syrup on Celebrity cruises or do I need to bring my own? I am a maple syrup fanatic.

Can you get real maple syrup on Celebrity cruises or do I need to bring my own? I am a maple syrup fanatic.

I am also a maple syrup fanatic and have never seen it. This is the reason why I have not had waffles or pancakes on board.

On this trip I will not have the weight limitation so I am bringing some great Canadian maple syrup. This alone may bring up it’s own weight problems:)

We loved the Butter Chicken Curry a lot in the Oceanview Cafe.

We also had a wonderful King Crab Legs lunch in Silk Harvest. It was announced in the programme, but it can‘t hurt to ask. Was $ 30 each person and every leg extra was 10.

I am also a maple syrup fanatic and have never seen it.

On this trip I will not have the weight limitation so I am bringing some great Canadian maple syrup. :)

I always try to make friends with those "wonderful" Canadians on the roll call. They are really wonderful if they bring pure maple syrup to share. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Is topless sunbathing still allowed there?

Yes, of course. Fully nude in the pool, as well. But only on 13 and there are lots of signs warning conservative folks about the lack of clothing option.

Not only that, but all free drinks are doubles, unless otherwise specified, AND each lounger has their own attendant to bring them anything they want, including meals from Luminae.

It doesn't get much better than that!

In Skagway, there are several White Pass Railway excursions to select from. Can anyone suggest which one would be the most enjoyable?

If you are taking the train, I would book the Bennett BC trip. Train up and bus back to port. Beautiful area.

Enjoy your cruise.

I request room service breakfast fresh berries in my room though not on menu and yes for dessert also.

• 2 months later...
On 7/29/2018 at 12:46 PM, Purifyer said:

when I was in the Navy a old Chief told me to fetch a gallon of bulkhead remover. Doesn’t exist. Just a joke for newbies.

My first day aboard a Navy ship, my CPOf sent me after 20 feet of shore line. When I asked him where I might find it he replied "In the locker with the wind shifters".

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2018 at 6:56 PM, Kennedysa said:

We will be sailing on the Solstice on May 17, 2019 also. It will be our second time to Alaska on the Solstice. It's a beautiful ship with a great staff.

We are also on the May 17th Solstice cruise. We enjoyed our first cruise on the Solstice in January 2009, going to the Caribbean. Our travel agent says Brent Nixon will be on our sailing. Very excited to see Alaska for the first time!

5 minutes ago, ppatick said:

We are also on the May 17th Solstice cruise. We enjoyed our first cruise on the Solstice in January 2009, going to the Caribbean. Our travel agent says Brent Nixon will be on our sailing. Very excited to see Alaska for the first time!

Brent Nixon is awesome! We were lucky to have him on board to a New Zealand cruise and again a couple of years later for Hawaii cruise. Make sure you get to his talks. 

His wife Amanda was on board with him

for our Hawaii cruise and also did a series of talks, she was great too. 

On 8/4/2018 at 1:45 PM, Edward51 said:

Not true! Go to deck 12 and ask any crew member where you can find the fog lockers. When you find them, enter and you will see the secret stairway that leads to deck 13😀

Just be careful. They store all the shore line on the walls along that staircase....